Lenses

Andrew Reid

Modification of the Fujinon 25mm and 50mm lenses was successful. Here's my unscientific test of all three Fujinon primes (12.5, 25, 50) and a comparison to the Cosmicar and Canon TV-16 lenses. I also did an infinity-close focus test, AND I tested the Tiffen +1 diopter with my Fuji 18-108 (@18mm) which I received today. The minimum focus of the 18-108 is 3.5', but I can get as close as 1' with the diopter, so now I have this focal length available for close-up shots if I want it. I think the Fujis are awesome and I was wrong in my initial assessment when they could only focus close-up. Now having the full range, and a better test, the Fujis are the obvious winners (for my taste anyway). The 50 and 12.5 are a little dreamy at f/1.4 but still nice, better at f/2.

fujimod3.thumb.JPG.5cfc7cb727171b14a3485e5ef27b10e2.JPG

fujimod2.thumb.JPG.6fb493eedf0849fd13c1826847bf1ed2.JPG

fujimod1.thumb.JPG.3c818c93c23d4c337ef804e789fa4565.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Gregormannschaft thank you ! Its a 1/8 black pro mist but it still came out kinda heavy ! I may give up shooting with diffusion filters for a while 

Don't. Own it, I love the look. Watched this earlier today and both the director and the DoP appear to be big fans of using diffusion wherever possible.

10 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Don't. Own it, I love the look. Watched this earlier today and both the director and the DoP appear to be big fans of using diffusion wherever possible.

How wonderful, so pleasant overall pastel quality and blur distribution away of center. And story is so deeply human.

I picked up a Helios 44-2 for £5 in a local camera shop... Its battered with large scratches on the elements but delivers a fantastic low contrast image, blooming highlights and good looking flares and outstanding bokeh. for £10 (£5 adapter) it puts many lenses to shame. I paired it with my GH5 & Speedbooster to test it out on a dog walk.

All images have been transformed to Rec709 with minor contrast adjustments on some images. (loving the low contrast!)

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

After testing the excellent Veydra Mini Primes 85mm T2.2 and 50mm T2.2, the 25mm T2.2 is rather disappointing. It might just be that I got a bad copy, but the lens is quite soft wide open. I may go to Singapore to try another copy next week.

Camera: Lumix GH5
Lens: Veydra Mini Prime 25mm T2.2
Settings: HLG, ISO 400, ALL-Intra, 400Mbps, T2.2

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 3.30.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 3.34.02 PM.png

On 5/5/2018 at 2:20 AM, kidzrevil said:

Asahi Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 w/ Lens Turbo

Really nice, love this lens more than the 50mm f1.4 - have you tried any others? I know they don't tend to be that fast, but there is something really special about the Super Taks.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

LOVE this ! Wow

Voigtlander 28mm f2.8 w/ tiffen ultracontrast filter. This filter is underrated. Its been helping me keep the shadow areas above the noise floor

7 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Really nice, love this lens more than the 50mm f1.4 - have you tried any others? I know they don't tend to be that fast, but there is something really special about the Super Taks.

I prefer the 55 to the 50 myself ! I have the 35mm f2.5 , 85mm f1.9,55mm f1.8 & 105mm f2.5 . They look gorgeous with the lens turbo speedbooster

On 5/11/2018 at 5:18 AM, JordanWright said:

I picked up a Helios 44-2 for £5 in a local camera shop... Its battered with large scratches on the elements but delivers a fantastic low contrast image, blooming highlights and good looking flares and outstanding bokeh. for £10 (£5 adapter) it puts many lenses to shame. I paired it with my GH5 & Speedbooster to test it out on a dog walk.

All images have been transformed to Rec709 with minor contrast adjustments on some images. (loving the low contrast!)

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

It's a bold claim to say that any lenses put any other lenses to shame, and I'm not seeing it in these images either.

10 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I prefer the 55 to the 50 myself ! I have the 35mm f2.5 , 85mm f1.9,55mm f1.8 & 105mm f2.5 . They look gorgeous with the lens turbo speedbooster

Those are the ones, especially the 105mm f2.5, also it's worth trying the 28mm, but i suppose it's quite close to the 5mm - these really are a great set of lenses. Most people will be put off by the fact that they aren't very fast, but that's just silly & normally it's people following the idiotic rule that you should shoot wide open with fast apertures.

For vintage lenses, 55mm is normally the best due to the fact that the lens recipe is simpler & they perfected it. Have you tried any Tomioka (Japan) made lenses? The 55mm f1.4's are worth a try, very nice for video. They made for various people: Chinon, Yashinon, Revuenon etc.., must have "Tomioka Japan" on the inner ring & have the "Auto" moniker. They did do a 55mm f1.2, which is dreamy wide open & a lot more expensive.

At the moment, my goto lenses have been either the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f2.6-28 (the first version is an Angenieaux lens recipe) or the Mir 24m 35mm f2 - for me they are must have lenses.

1 hour ago, JordanWright said:

As far as price to performance it puts other lenses to shame,  although I do prefer lower contrast and a softer image 

You're right on the money there - 44-2 is an excellent lens if you get a good copy. Lots of other Russain lenses, actually most of them, give this lovely low contrast - it's why people have raved about them for video for a long time. Dirt cheap as well, but you might need to shop around for good copies