Canon R7 User Experience

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I was on FW version 1.5 at the time. FW v1.6 came out after that and lets you change the temp warning to a higher limit; I haven't tested FW 1.6 yet.  But with FW v1.5 I had shot about 800 pictures then switched to a few video clips here and there, not in direct sunlight just handholding and shooting in regular 4K60FPS and the warning came on. It was the middle of the show so I didn't have time to see if the timer came on as well or anything like that; I just immediately stopped shooting all video clips.

Gotcha you were on the old firmware.. definitely upgrade to 1.6 it supposedly fixes the overheat warning.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, SusieC said:

Does the R7 have separate C1-C3 setting for photos and video like the R5?  The R6 doesn’t have this function but it would be great if the R7 did.

Yes it has those options on the mode dial.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:32 AM, ntblowz said:

For the hybrid shooting R5 is defintiely better, but if just mainly for video or birding then R7 is much better value. As I said if I didnt have R5 I would go for R7 without a thought.

Actually, I think the R7 is better for hybrid shooting at least for events. The R7 impresses me more and more as I work with it. The R7 has no record limits, hybrid hotshoe, uses identical memory card types in both slots, hasn't once overheated on me using the original FW even in 100F degree heat, battery life is way better, and the button layout has really grown on me during fast moving hybrid shoots at events. 

Due to the R7 I have changed my whole shooting style at events. I have the R7 in a cage with a side handle for hand-held shots for both photo and video along with a hotshoe flash on top and can flick from photos to video and back without ever lowering the camera. I also added a strap mount to the cage which is another first for me for a video camera.

So, 3 months in below are some of my findings with the R7 so far. This is from my perspective when shooting with it for both photos and videos at events:

• Best Hybrid Lens: Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 L. This was a surprising one for me, I tested out the Sigma EF-S 18-35 F1.8 which many people rave about but it did not seem sharp to me, especially at F1.8. Also, the lens AF motors were some of the loudest I have ever heard; definitely not acceptable with a camera mounted shotgun mic. It also was wider than I needed it at the wide end and not long enough at the long end. When I tested the Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L the R7 was suddenly razor sharp, focusing noise was greatly reduced and the FF sensor focal length of approximately 38-112mm was perfect for both pictures and video. This lens also works very well with the R7 on the Ronin RS2; it balances perfectly. A final plus for the Canon 24-70 F2.8 is the lock switch which locks the barrel so I would engage that whenever it was on a gimbal to keep the balance.
  • Ergonomics - This is the first camera I have ever owned that I feel equally comfortable shooting both photos and video. When shooting a fast-moving event, the ergonomics of this camera really start to shine as a hybrid. I can flip the power switch from off/on/video then adjust the aperture using the ring around the joystick all within seconds and without moving my hand from the grip. For events I literally just hand hold and use the back screen for images then flip to video get a few clips without lowering the camera then back to photos. A hotshoe mounted flash gets me down to ISO 100 for photos and video starts at ISO800 so once it is all set up I can shoot the optimal ISO for both formats without touching the settings. 
  • Photo / Video Separation - None of the photo and video settings are linked which is another pro and a slight con. It would be nice to be able to pick what to link like the S5 let me do. I would like to link the WB, and Aperture because they are typically the same between photos and video. 
  • AF Separation - This is a subtle nuance that is also pretty nice with the R7, the AF settings in photo mode also do not affect the video mode. So for example you can set continuous AF with person tracking and eye detect in photo mode and continuous AF with tracking and eye detect off for video mode. You can also create a box on the screen and limit the AF features to just that box if you have time to set all of that up.
  • Flash Sync Speed - I am totally confused on this one. The documented maximum flash sync speed is 1/250s but I went as high as 1/500s at times and my flash output did not drop nor was my flash in HSS mode so I have no idea what that's about. It was a very pleasant surprise though. Most cameras stop at their flash sync speed and won't let you go any higher until you set the flash to HSS at which point your output drops quite a bit or you have problems in your image due to exceeding the sync speed, but neither occurred when I exceeded the flash sync speed.

The Bad - unfortunately the R7 is not perfect, I have found a few more annoyances after shooting with it for awhile

• Flash Hotshoe Doesn't Fire - This is my main annoyance, the hotshoe has approximately a 5% failure rate when triggering the flash. Same flash I have had for years, never once had it not fire when attached directly to the camera, but with the R7 it fails to trigger sometimes. At first I thought it was just coming loose, but no matter how much I tightened it, it would still fail occasionally. For events that's a major annoyance when you are trying to capture peak action and relying on the flash for fill.
  • Recording Doesn't Stop - Sometimes the recording would not stop after pressing the recording button. Holding the button doesn't help, pressing it repeatedly doesn't help, it will just not stop recording without additional fiddling. Sometimes I had to press the stop button on the screen itself to get it to stop. It never took more than a few seconds of fiddling to get it to stop, but annoying none the less.
  • Horizon Leveling - This one is very minor, but I did discover that this has to be turned off when on a gimbal. The horizon leveling makes the image slowly rock from side to side on a gimbal. It took about an hour of fiddling to find that one. I thought sure it was my gimbal, but then I turned off the horizon leveling feature and the image was rock solid. I am not sure yet how useful this is when handholding since I don't have time to turn it off and on at events so I just leave it off.

R7 or R6II? I know @Django asked me if both were available today which one would I pick? I think without having ever shot with the R7 then the R6II would be no contest. But now after shooting with the R7 I think the main technical drawback the R7 really has is line skipped 60FPS. The R6II has some really nice to have features (most could be added via a FW update to the R7 if Canon felt generous), but for event hybrid work the R7 is great. For events the line skipped quality is probably more than adequate, but for higher end work like commercial work or possibly mid budget weddings, it may not hold up.

The Verdict - The R7 has actually exceeded my expectations for a hybrid camera. Even the fact it is a crop sensor is actually helpful because it breathed new life into my Canon EF 24-70 lens with the change in focal lengths.  The IBIS is great, AF of course is perfect even though I still only use the cross hairs for AF, none of the fancy tracking features, but the part that I do use is rock solid reliable. I was looking at speedbooster options (and may still need one for lowlight situations), but so far the R7 is a perfect fit even with the crop sensor.

I need to practice with the more advanced AF options more to see if I can incorporate them into fast moving run and gun situations. I don't trust tracking or eye AF for video, but for photos it seems pretty solid.

Below is a recent event highlight video I shot with the R7. Approximately 90% was handheld, the entire event (photos and video), I shot with just the Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 lens.  I also used the 4K30FPS Fine option with compressed IPB and CLOG3 Cinema Gamut combined with Davinci Resolve Managed Color and a slight creative grade to finish it off. The colors straight out of camera were great to work with.

This shoot was particularly challenging because the event was half under massive really dark unlit tents and half in shade with midday sunlight all around so my focus was on properly exposing the subject matter with no regard to the background exposure. As a refence point, another videographer was there with a C300III running the live feed and he was also unable to keep the DR within the C300III's sensor so it was no fault of the camera that it couldn't handle the full DR of many of the scenes.

Below are a few sample images from the event. These were shot with a hotshoe mounted flash handheld and the same Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 lens. All images were shot raw and post processed in LR. Colors are straight out of camera, nothing was added to the colors.

1336411427_Savor-St-Pete-2022(3).thumb.jpg.e9ab55585476240d754cb3b18fb9a161.jpg

1315582287_Savor-St-Pete-2022(21).thumb.jpg.6a08108a7d7d33b31ae7cb40cb1f468a.jpg

147655584_Savor-St-Pete-2022(28).thumb.jpg.3bc52dec06f3344eac0edd8ac5af02ce.jpg

1404824687_Savor-St-Pete-2022(50).thumb.jpg.470c8e0721c4cac706bd9c02f33181ab.jpg

8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

R7 or R6II? I know @Django asked me if both were available today which one would I pick?

Actually I had asked you about R5 vs R6ii, never mentioned the R7. Personally I'd pick an R6ii over an R7 every time but the R7 is a lot cheaper and could also be a nice APS-C side kick to an R6ii if you shoot several bodies. Nice write-up by the way!

Great article about the mirrorless hype.

I want to add my experience with the R7, which always produces blurry photos when the shutter is in mechanical mode no matter what lens is used.

It disappears when i switch to full electronic shutter or electronic 1. Curtain, 2nd. curtain mechanical.

Now the fotos are brillant and top.

Nevertheless this should not happen and i already discuss that with canon.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:15 AM, Johannes said:

Great article about the mirrorless hype.

I want to add my experience with the R7, which always produces blurry photos when the shutter is in mechanical mode no matter what lens is used.

It disappears when i switch to full electronic shutter or electronic 1. Curtain, 2nd. curtain mechanical.

Now the fotos are brillant and top.

Nevertheless this should not happen and i already discuss that with canon.

That is really strange, I only use mechanical shutter, have never even tried electronic shutter and my R7 doesn't have that problem. If it is not too late to return it I would try that route vs dealing with a repair.

19 hours ago, herein2020 said:

That is really strange, I only use mechanical shutter, have never even tried electronic shutter and my R7 doesn't have that problem. If it is not too late to return it I would try that route vs dealing with a repair.

Same here..the shutter sound is a bit silly and very tin like, but the images are good. 

On 8/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, ntblowz said:

Oops it was 4k fine mode he tested, R5 last longer than R7 on video overheating, but chew battery faster.

I know there's tons of tests out there and each one will reach some conclusion; but I also know I personally own both cameras and for me and the type of content that I shoot and the temperatures that I shoot in, the R5 overheated for me while shooting mostly photos with a few video clips here and there when the ambient temps were around 86F and 70% humidity whereas the R7 has never given me the overheating warning even when shooting in ambient temps of around 100F and the humidity was around 10%. 

The R5 was on FW version 1.5 and I haven't shot any video clips after upgrading to FW 1.6 since the R7 is now my go to hybrid camera. Another annoying problem with the R5 is that it still has the 30min record limit. I have to believe that Canon will remove that limit soon, but until it happens, I will just remain in disbelief that they removed it from the R6II, R7, and R3 but have yet to do so (if they ever will) for the R6 and R5....and we are talking years after Panasonic and Sony removed theirs.

As far as DR and IQ, I believe it would be very difficult to tell the difference between the R5, R6, R6II, and R7 in real world shooting (not pixel peeping). Even the R7's line skipped 4K60FPS is more than sufficient for social media content. I've also gained a new appreciation for crop sensors since owning the R7. The extra reach it gives me with the 24-105, 70-200, and even the 24-70 took a little getting used to but its a real treat to work with now.

I think the two main limitations that the R7 has is the fact that it does not have a dual native ISO so it can't compete with the R5 for lowlight and that line skipped 4K60FPS is definitely noticeable in the pixel peeping comparisons.

Hello Everyone,

I don't think that the C70 issue is related to autofocus as I am always using manual focus. I just uploaded a clip recorded in a perfectly lit environment. As you can see here, the jittering effect caused by probably the Digital IS is also present. The bottom line is that C70 is not capable to record in Digital IS mode due to line skipping and pretty bad antialising.
Here is what I am talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gkgttwMgsfLmfmTg9nLpQpxhDhaD2X2G/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Marton

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I am forum necroing, but I did not feel like making a new topic. 

Does anyone know if the rolling shutter issues on the Canon R7 is reduced with the line skipped 4k mode? 
According to a very poorly done video on the Canon R7 from DPReview, Jordan said the rolling shutter was 14,5ms in 4k60p, anyone who owns a R7 can attest to the rolling shutter being lower in line skipped and does it also stay true for 4k30 line skipped? 

Seems to be very poor information, there also appears to be like no sample video of 4k FINE and 4k line skipped out there, really curious how the line skipped 4k is like when you downsample to 1080p.

On R5/R5C 8K/4K Fine it is 15.5ms, on 4K standard mode and 4K50p it change to 9.6ms, on 5.9K RAW APS-C it is 11.5ms

On R7 the 4K Fine mode it is around 31ms according to the graph, so if 4K50P is 14.5ms then I think 4k non standard will be the same as 4K50p.

I knew Gordon done the test of 4K fine, 4K standard and 1080p quality comparison on the R5, 4k standard is still way sharper than 1080p.

79b50db959a24cbd9480bec1ea31594d.jpg