Jump to content

Canon EOS R5C


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

You could rent an R5C and a lens and try it out.

Look at the wobble.

 

That's at 16mm, walking, and no gimbal....something I would never do with any camera without a gimbal. The wobble I've seen from the R5 is when it is on a gimbal with lenses wider than 35mm. My S5 is rock solid on a gimbal at 16mm with IBIS still on and I've read the S1H's IBIS is better than the S5's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

BTW who has used the SSD coupled to P4K with no IBIS won't feel much difference... : P

  

15 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

 

Do you mean Lens IS or digital IS? With lens IS I would agree, it is pretty reliable, but the digital IS I have seen out of the C70 and R5C so far looks less reliable and more random than IBIS ever does at 35mm+ in the R5. I'm with @MrSMW no IBIS is a complete deal breaker for me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The wobble I've seen from the R5 is when it is on a gimbal with lenses wider than 35mm.

Thats strange. Can anybody else confirm this?

With the R5 you can hand hold 500mm for video and its pretty damn good. Try that with a Sony and a 200-600 and you will be sorely disappointed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Thats strange. Can anybody else confirm this?

With the R5 you can hand hold 500mm for video and its pretty damn good. Try that with a Sony and a 200-600 and you will be sorely disappointed.

Why strange? If you won't be able to turn IBIS off, it is known Sony and Canon don't match Olympus/Panasonic offer, mainly seen on wide end : )

I still remember when people were ecstatic when 5D2 popped up with so many caveats along 1080p not so long time ago or maybe am I wrong? ; )

image.png.0f81062902bcde7a6f811605e540eb12.png

Shooters become spoiled much easily... (EAG :- )

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 1/28/2022 at 7:34 PM, Emanuel said:

Well, it was not for this dude here... Canon even sent him a camera ; ) and he didn't complain on using external power to shoot 8K 60p either ;- )

Shills aside, I guess I will hardly resist... :- )

It's almost impossible to tell that review apart from a marketing video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True, they drive us crazy with their hammer : ) The only trick is to be outside of their radar for next releases : D Jokes float around ; )

In my approach, if their digital stabilization will be able to give shaking hands a try, coupled to their RF offer now free of IBIS match once there's no IBIS, who knows, maybe can end handy, I keep my hope up :- )

Not for everyone's needs anyway, of course, and that's a completely shame...

Without that annoying counterproductive delay between video and stills we might have a perfect hybrid then.

That is, if they wouldn't put their 'big eye' as Brazilian people say on their clientele resources, it's a pity, to say the least : (

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Z9 and the R3 are probably the best of the hybrids right now.

The only black mark against them is probably size and the Sony A1 has that covered.

The only thing that bothers me about the R3 is 20mp stills. Once you have tasted 47mp, it would be hard to go back!

Maybe a pairing of R3 for video and an R5 for stills…but then, I am not very disposed right now to give Canon any of my money.

I never say never however. Except just now. Twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Z9 & R3 are indeed the current flagships at D6/1DX3 equivalent prices.

Nikon-Z9-vs-Canon-EOS-R3.jpg

 

..very nice specs on both but again on video side, you're not going to get WFM, false color, LUT support, dual ISO, time code, magnify during record etc. These are very important cine features imo.

That is where R5C beats both, for much cheaper. But yeah no IBIS or instant photo/video switching.

So yeah, there is no perfect hybrid. Always a compromise somewhere!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
19 hours ago, Django said:

Z9 & R3 are indeed the current flagships at D6/1DX3 equivalent prices.

Nikon-Z9-vs-Canon-EOS-R3.jpg

 

..very nice specs on both but again on video side, you're not going to get WFM, false color, LUT support, dual ISO, time code, magnify during record etc. These are very important cine features imo.

That is where R5C beats both, for much cheaper. But yeah no IBIS or instant photo/video switching.

So yeah, there is no perfect hybrid. Always a compromise somewhere!

I think Z9 is close to perfect really.

Much better codec than R3 in all respects, both the RAW codec and the 10bit codec.

I never use WFM, false color, all it really does is distract from the composition. You don't even need to nail exposure with Prores RAW. As for focus, with AF as good as the Z9 offers you don't need any of the focus aids, and with manual focus I don't even use peaking any more because EVFs are such high res these days.

I don't see what the EOS R5C offers over the Z9 apart from some camcorder gimmicks and a big frustrating delay between modes, not to mention a worse codec and no IBIS!

I'd take the Z9 over it any day for stills as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think Z9 is close to perfect really.

Much better codec than R3 in all respects, both the RAW codec and the 10bit codec.

I never use WFM, false color, all it really does is distract from the composition. You don't even need to nail exposure with Prores RAW. As for focus, with AF as good as the Z9 offers you don't need any of the focus aids, and with manual focus I don't even use peaking any more because EVFs are such high res these days.

I don't see what the EOS R5C offers over the Z9 apart from some camcorder gimmicks and a big frustrating delay between modes, not to mention a worse codec and no IBIS!

I'd take the Z9 over it any day for stills as well.

 

"camcorder gimmicks" lol... I guess it depends how you shoot. I think exposure/focus tools can be very useful, especially at +4K and for fast turnarounds when you're not shooting raw. I also like to be able to have shutter angle & gain measures. the anamorphic desqueeze can be clutch. the LUT support is probably my favorite cine cam feature. YMMV of course.

Z9's EVF is actually not that high res at 3.69 m-dots (which is kinda mid-range A7IV/R6 level) compared to R3/R5's 5.76 m-dots or A1's whopping 9.44 m-dots. E-shutter only, there are pros/cons to that. N-log's a bit dated (not the best DR, they need Nlog2/Nlog3). But overall though, I agree Z9 on paper has the better specs in most areas. 

Like you were saying earlier, the biggest problem with Z9 will be getting a hold of one.

Canon I just read have managed to get around the chip supply shortage and that may very well turn out to be a great advantage at this time and point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Have you seen how pixilated the UI is through the viewfinder on a Sony?

What matters more than EVF dots is the quality of the live-view feed to it.

I can't see a downside to the E-shutter on the Z9. Any actual evidence of one?

As far as I can tell it has a rolling shutter as fast as a mechanical one, so practically a global shutter or as near as makes no difference to 99.99999999999999% of shots.

S1H has all of the extra video features of EOS R5C... LUT support, anamorphic (proper open gate not just desequeze), focus, exposure tools, etc. Personally I prefer to see the shot I am taking rather than a big graph!

I will probably never buy another Canon.

I don't like the EOS R lenses. They're as bulky and expensive as it gets... Heavier than my medium format GFX lenses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I will probably never buy another Canon.

I don't like the EOS R lenses. They're as bulky and expensive as it gets... Heavier than my medium format GFX lenses.

This, and I think they have just made a total mess of the mirrorless line, crippling the living shit out of the lower stuff and just have come out with too many confusing high end stuff as of late, and none of them what they ought to be for the money asked. Not counting I am not a fan of their new Color Science. I thought I would never say that about a Canon product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All these contemporary cameras are more similar than different. In nearly every case, practical concerns of the endeavor will, or should, determine your choice. 

At some point, we're all just arguing over how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin.

The correct answer of course is just one fallen angel, the Komodo. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
×
×
  • Create New...