Panasonic S5 User Experience

Update on my broken S5 that no-one will be interested in:

Finally got it returned. Screen fixed. Gave it a test run and . . . none of the buttons on the back except play and veiwfinder buttons work any more including the focus type switch!! The camera is now totally useless. Can't believe it. 

Rang the repair company direct and they were surprised but at least contrite and back it will go. I suspect there is some small connecting wire they forgot to re-attach but then didn't think to press any of those buttons to test it since the screen works fine (and all the buttons and wheels on the top).

I did enquire of the company I bought it from that really I should be able to ask for a replacement camera. They agreed but claimed stocks are non-existent and supply times for new stock is months away, all due to the pandemic. Do I believe that? Dunno but I decided pushing it would only stress me out even more so repair again it is. 

Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is an R5/R6 user experience thread so I figured it was safe to start a Panasonic S5 user experience thread.  I've only shot with it for a few hours, mostly setting up (and learning) the menus an

I agree with @zerocool22 the S5 and S1H have identical sensors, LOG profiles, etc. I highly doubt in most scenarios you would be able to tell the difference. I think the reason you think the S1H is a

Well here's my first use of the S5. Neutral profile, no tweaks to any in camera settings, SOOC, 4k 50p shot in shutter priority 1/100 with the 20-60mm kit lens. Clips imported into Premiere

Posted Images

And I got mine back from the menders, and finally it is working fine again. Now to get used to it all for a second time.

Shame you couldn't get round the focus issue thehebrewwhammer but sometimes you have to just accept something isn't working for you.

19 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

And I got mine back from the menders, and finally it is working fine again. Now to get used to it all for a second time.

Shame you couldn't get round the focus issue thehebrewwhammer but sometimes you have to just accept something isn't working for you.

Glad to hear it's back in your hands. Hopefully it is working fine now.

22 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Thanks,

I have to admit that I was ready to put down my GH5 too quickly to get all my equipment a bit more aligned within one system - for what, better highlight roll-off? And that was the wrong call. It's a great camera and I never miss a shot with it.

• Administrators
On 4/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, mercer said:

Log profiles will be noisier than standard Rec709 profiles. Those profiles have sharpening and noise reduction built into the picture profile. With that said, shooting in lowlight with a log profile can be a waste of time. The point of a log profile is to maximize dynamic range. If you're shooting in lowlight the range of available light is drastically minimized. So if you want to shoot log in lowlight, you either need to introduce more light or raise your ISO. Since log profiles are built around a curve, it's good to know how the curve works, so you can expose for the curve, or you can ETTR (expose to the right) and then pull down your exposure in post. That should take care of the noise.

As far as the flickering, what hertz setting do you have your camera set to?

LOG shouldn't be noisier, you're just seeing more of the noise in the shadows. After grading, all that should go back to normal.

Shooting LOG in low contrast situations where there's just a narrow band of luminosity in the scene - I'd agree with you there, but then you may still need to match colour to the daytime scenes with a specific LUT.

Sometimes you do need a wide dynamic range in low light at ISO 3200 as well, there might be a brightly lit interior in the shot or bright street lights.

Definitely ETTR in low light. Better to select a high ISO especially with a dual gain sensor, than to under expose at say, 400, and ramp up the shadow noise in post.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Definitely ETTR in low light. Better to select a high ISO especially with a dual gain sensor, than to under expose at say, 400, and ramp up the shadow noise in post.

I've been thinking about buying an FP or S5 for the dual gain option. Have you tested it with the FP? I'm mostly interested in the internal recording modes, so I'm curious how well it works with the 8bit CDNGs? I understand it's part of the architecture of the sensor, just not sure if the bit depth would have any effect on the color information even with a dual gain sensor camera?