Magic Lantern 3.3k 16:9 RAW now with real time preview

hyalinejim

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.msg216899#msg216899

Background: user TheBilalFakhouri has unlocked correctly framed real time preview for EOS M and Danne has ported it to 5D3. Previously, Magic Lantern high res modes had a preview image that had either correct framing but in unusably slow frame rate black and white or real time colour preview with wrong framing. 

Now, however there is high res, real time preview with correct framing.

Kind of fun to try if you already own one of the supported cams 😁

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Don't think that latest development from Bilal is part of this release. At least don't see it when testing this release from Danne. Preview was not working before in 3.5K crop and higher crop modes. There was a mess on the screen. In my understanding they fixed this. So now we have life view with correct framing but preview is still not real time and it is even worst when recording. Or when it is real time framing is not correct. Indeed Bilal made a huge break trough with real-time live view in crop mode with correct framing but it is working so far only on EOS M and not 100% ready yet. 

Another great development is using SD card overclocking. With card spanning and fast SD Card + CF Card we can get total bit rate ot 130Mb/s which is enough for 3584 x 1730 resolution 24 fps at 12 bit lossless. With global draw off can get minutes in this mode. 10 bit is continuous or very close to it.  3584 x 1730 is basically 1.6 crop factor, 2:1 aspect ratio. So Canon 5D Mark III is now truly a 4K Super35 (APS-C) camera at 24 fps. 

Never thought they will be able to achieve this and go this high in resolution while having sustained recording. The nice thing about 1.6 Super35 crop factor is access to lenses, especially wide angles which were very limited at 2 crop factor and lower. 

13 minutes ago, stephen said:

Don't think that latest development from Bilal is part of this release. At least don't see it when testing this release from Danne.

Ah, I see. I must have misunderstood what I read. Haven't tried it myself yet. Just to be sure Danne posted this to show which mode it is

VRAM4-PPM-500px.png&hash=65fe748347a7d05

One recent development that is of particular interest as @stephen mentions above is card spanning to CF and SD cards on the 5D3 to allow for higher write speeds, therefore higher resolutions and/or longer record times.

I may have jumped the gun here though, claiming real time correct framing for the 5D3. 😳

But if it brings people's attention to the fact that Magic Lantern is still alive and delivering the goods then that's a good thing I guess!

3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.msg216899#msg216899

Background: user TheBilalFakhouri has unlocked correctly framed real time preview for EOS M and Danne has ported it to 5D3. Previously, Magic Lantern high res modes had a preview image that had either correct framing but in unusably slow frame rate black and white or real time colour preview with wrong framing. 

Now, however there is high res, real time preview with correct framing.

Kind of fun to try if you already own one of the supported cams 😁

Nice! Will this hack also allow 60 fps raw? 

Yes did tested it, works great on Canon 5D Mark III. Really happy as 2:1 is my favorite aspect ratio. If one day real time live view in crop mode is fixed it would be truly a great Super35 RAW camera. Was thinking of selling my Canon 5D Mark III but now with latest development, no way it will stays with me. As one of the greatest DSLRs and great Super35 RAW camera too. 

Same for EOS M -2.5K 2:1 and 2.8K at 2.35:1 ratios are now possible. Again if real time live view in crop mode is fixed it will be a great Super16 RAW camera. Much better resolution than first BMPCC at Super16. And EOS M is already a decent Super35 RAW camera  According to Bilal real time live view in crop mode will work also over HDMI. So external monitoring in crop modes will be possible too. 

Cross my fingers this real time live view in crop mode make it to the builds soon. It will release also additional bandwidth for writing. It means stable and longer recording times in high resolution crop modes. 

Really impressed with what ML (mostly Bilal and Danne the last 2 years)  have achieved with EOS M and Canon 5D Mark III !

No 60fps and certainly not in high res crop mode. Only 45fps at 1080p. There are better cameras now for 60p. 

Dang, now Eoshd is talking again. Beautiful nerdy threads. Keep em coming! I want some underdog beauty: GH4 or FZ2000 with external 10bit. GH4 with a YAWG and battery solution. Software mods, hardware mods, shitty rigs, super rigs- keep em coming, the happy bee is humming! EOS M super 8 raw thread was one of my favorites of the last two years. Would love people to shoot some recreational short pieces with these nerds´dream cams. Unfortunately I have not done the walk yet to be called a nerd. Maybe if I get to mod my Konica mount zoom lens to EF.

Edit: that zeek youtube link above seems like a nerds entertainment dream. Thank you very much @stephen

9 hours ago, Matins 2 said:

Picked one up to see what ML is about, and I find using ML on the EOS M incredibly underwhelming (thus far). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but shooting 2.5k and up RAW without a proper non-lagging full liveview doesn't appeal to me at all.

I was the same when I got mine. I don't understand how people can enjoy using those modes... Maybe if you had an optical view finder it could be fun.

Now though, I never shoot more than the 1080 Rewire option. It's non-crop (other than the aspect ratio) and realtime live view. If you shoot this way, it's basically the og BMPCC with a bigger sensor and much better audio / battery. If you run through MLV APP and convert each clips to DNG frames, there's barely even any extra steps in post.

As far as my test of the new builds goes, the live view in the higher resolutions and crops is getting to realtime, but they're refining it. Give it a few weeks and come back to it.

Hmm, tastiest of all threads! Besides the Eos M Super8 one or the lens thread or the BW on 8bit, of course.:) In the same league as the best of Eoshd classics. Anyway, such a fun thread. I love the  these kind of youtube links, to some cool characters who provide great knowledge in an enjoyable way. Zeeks channel is really cool and fun! Thanks guys, for such great reading and viewing pleasures, nerdom and education!

On 9/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Matins 2 said:

Picked one up to see what ML is about, and I find using ML on the EOS M incredibly underwhelming (thus far). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but shooting 2.5k and up RAW without a proper non-lagging full liveview doesn't appeal to me at all.

Sorry to quote you again, but there's a new test build with complete realtime preview, non-cropped for 5k modes now. I just shot 2 minutes of 16:9 12bit raw without any dropped frames. I could see my framing perfectly as though I was using a native camera mode... almost. 

There's currently some scattered lines at the bottom of the LCD screen. It's not distracting, and they're working on it. but seriously, I would advise you to use this build. I just used the 5k anamorphic 16:9 frtp preset and laughed at how good it was.

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Sep21.EOSM202_frtp.zip 

Oh and they also added crop marks to cover up the flickering lines so they're not distracting at all while shooting. So what you see on the LCD is what your the file records, but your file does have a little bit of extra height since you can't see the bottom 1/8th (or something) of your frame while shooting... Other than that, it's perfect.

36 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Sorry to quote you again, but there's a new test build with complete realtime preview, non-cropped for 5k modes now. I just shot 2 minutes of 16:9 12bit raw without any dropped frames. I could see my framing perfectly as though I was using a native camera mode... almost. 

What is the crop factor of these modes (what lens formats match the cropping)?