Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

6 minutes ago, Kino said:

IBIS is no substitute for a stabilizer or tripod, unfortunately. I believe 8K RAW at Full Frame is ideal for landscape and architectural videography as well as stock footage. VFX guys and product shooters (commercials, ads) would also find it useful, I'm sure. 

Buy the new Blackmagic then.  You get 12K.  It will be a better deal than 3 R5 you would need to take with you on a job to cover for the overheating.  Plus BRAW is a lot better than the Canon version for editing.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Buy the new Blackmagic then.  You get 12K.  It will be a better deal than 3 R5 you would need to take with you on a job to cover for the overheating.  Plus BRAW is a lot better than the Canon version for editing.  

No stills and $5000 more for the Blackmagic tho..

34 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

No stills and $5000 more for the Blackmagic tho..

You need to read what I was replying to and the examples given.   At what point do you use a dedicated video camera rather than a hybrid.

Irinically if I was on DpReview, I'd be told any criticisms of the video functions of the R5 are stupid because I should be using a proper video camera for professional video work.  😏

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

I'm sure it's great, although FF 8K would have been much more sensible with less demanding optics. The optical challenge in resolving 12K at the Super 35mm sensor size requires lenses that cost far more than the Blackmagic camera.

It's a camera for rental houses, which is why it ships with a PL mount. There, they can rent you the $40K Cooke lenses you will need for that purpose.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Horses for courses, they are different animals : ) R5 is a crippled hybrid, so they designed it with still photographers in mind because they have a range of higher price cameras for sale to filmmakers. Sad but no surprises here.

All the signs point to it being unintentionally crippled this time.

It's astounding how broken the R5 is.

I now have mine and had it overheat in the Wifi menu. It was just sitting there on the desk waiting for a connection.

And the cool down periods are incredibly long.

There are signs Canon knew about the problem late on and tried to patch it up with a few features.

The overheat control option reduces the live-view quality so the image processor doesn't have to deal with the 8K torrent of data coming off the sensor.

The live-view feed seems to be active all the time even when camera is in the menus which is why mine overheated in the WiFi menu with not a single second of video recorded. Well ok... 6 seconds to be exact!

Without "overheat protection" turned on in menus, it basically cooks itself doing nothing.

Glad you put your hands on one : ) But they had how to properly manage heat dissipation and they're still telling us to pay more for our dream toy :- ) Do you think we'll be able to get a decent workaround to overcome it?

5.1K crop even coupled to a speedbooster seems a promising route at least.

13 minutes ago, Kino said:

I'm sure it's great, although FF 8K would have been much more sensible with less demanding optics. The optical challenge in resolving 12K at the Super 35mm sensor size requires lenses that cost far more than the Blackmagic camera.

It's a camera for rental houses, which is why it ships with a PL mount. There, they can rent you the $40K Cooke lenses you will need for that purpose.

You can record 8K and at higher frame rates than the R5; which is downsampled internally from 12K. This will give you better 8K in the same way 8k can give better 4K.

As for lens mount, maybe you missed this on the press release:

"You can quickly switch between PL, EF and F mount lenses on the URSA Mini Pro 12K"

2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

You can record 8K internally at higher frame rates.  Which is downsampled internally from 12K. This will give you better 8K in the same way 8k can give better 4K.

As for lens mount, maybe you missed this on the press release:

"You can quickly switch between PL, EF and F mount lenses on the URSA Mini Pro 12K"

I watched the whole presentation live on their YT channel weeks ago. Grant did say you can switch the mount to EF by purchasing it separately, but my point is that it is a camera intended for high-end PL glass. That's not to say you can't use EF glass or that it won't work at all. On Blackmagic Forum, they posted a still image from the 12K camera using a Sigma 18-35 EF, so it is possible (but not ideal).

1 minute ago, Kino said:

I watched the whole presentation live on their YT channel weeks ago. Grant did say you can switch the mount to EF by purchasing it separately, but my point is that it is a camera intended for high-end PL glass. That's not to say you can't use EF glass or that it won't work at all. On Blackmagic Forum, they posted a still image from the 12K camera using a Sigma 18-35 EF, so it is possible (but not ideal).

I see your point.  Mine I guess was that if you're looking to film 8K RAW, its a better workhorse than the R5 for any Professional work, such as the examples you quoted in an earlier post.  

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Hahaha. Thats probably a first. 

To be fair to the R5, I had somewhat fucked up the code for connecting to it in the first version of the app he was poking it with so it was waiting for that connection for a while !

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

All the signs point to it being unintentionally crippled this time.

It's astounding how broken the R5 is.

Philip Bloom has made similar observations.

It's now starting to emerge that the initial 'reviews' from the paid Canon shills and the affiliate link brigade glossed over how bad the R5 is in terms of overheating and its general stability. 

Now that the camera is out there in the hands of objective reviewers rather than the YT canboys or those with a vested interest the truth is coming out. It doesn't look pretty.

It will be interesting to see results of Andrews tests, but at this point it's looking quite scandalous that Canon would release such a defective product with such deceptive marketing.  

Not sure if anyone brought this video up, but somewhat interesting. 

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-r5-records-4-hours-4khq-at-30p-video-externally-with-some-simple-tricks/?fbclid=IwAR27M-11lKCRpAOQBV_4L9-Gi7W9nCTXPEyGsUMLKVdd_lzNK0cRuAxJtUI

Not sure what to make of it. And does anyone know, is Canon sending HQ to the Ninja or line-skipped non-HQ, and how to tell? Ninja encodes in ProRes, how does one know?

It's been

37 minutes ago, ghostwind said:

Not sure if anyone brought this video up, but somewhat interesting. 

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-r5-records-4-hours-4khq-at-30p-video-externally-with-some-simple-tricks/?fbclid=IwAR27M-11lKCRpAOQBV_4L9-Gi7W9nCTXPEyGsUMLKVdd_lzNK0cRuAxJtUI

Not sure what to make of it. And does anyone know, is Canon sending HQ to the Ninja or line-skipped non-HQ, and how to tell? Ninja encodes in ProRes, how does one know?

Yes, It's been posted...  I believe Gerald Undone confirmed there was no quality change when shooting in HQ modes through the Ninja, and mentioned a drop in sharpness with the normal 4K modes. 

• Administrators

Results of the first 1-2 hours with the camera out the box:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/i-bought-a-canon-eos-r5-and-it-overheated-in-the-wifi-menu-also-a-look-at-potential-solutions/

10 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

It's been

Yes, It's been posted...  I believe Gerald Undone confirmed there was no quality change when shooting in HQ modes through the Ninja, and mentioned a drop in sharpness with the normal 4K modes. 

I see. Something to test then.

I wonder if Atomos will be honest about it as well and say that it's pixel binned, not "high quality"!

24 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

It's been

So then if it can record externally 4K30 HQ for 4 hours (with cards removed and whatever) does this mean there could be a firmware update to fix the internal recording. I guess I don't get why it would work for 4 hours externals to the Ninja, but overheat like crazy with the cards inside, unless not having cards is cooling it? Seems Canon will come out with a firmware to not cripple internal recording then?