Jump to content

Panasonic interview - question suggestions


Recommended Posts

Is 12-bit uncompressed raw recording to SSD via USB Type C possible on the S1H?  Any chance the S1H gets 12-bit 5.9k or 4k Blackmagic RAW to HDMI via Blackmagic Video Assist like the EVA-1?  If either were possible, I would already own the S1H.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are some stills from a recent GH5 doc project

Has the employee responsible for their most recent release been fired yet?  

How does the situation with Olympus impact Panasonic's commitment to M43?  Is there a reason why they've stuck with DFD for auto focus in video, even as competitors have moved away from it? 

Posted Images

I think it would be great to ask them to implement a 2,8K Mode on the GH5 or GH5S via firmware at the max. 4K Bandwith that might add to the quality of the picture i guess. Given that this is one of the learnings that came up in the last time i believe that would be something that they could do to make their customers happy...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sanveer said:

They already have a webcam mode for a few of their cameras (GH5, GH5s, and probably G9). 

They do not, unfortunately. What they have, as I described above, is a new view mode in the tether application that removes all display information and creates a clean window so that you can capture that window with a streaming software, which means that you can’t use it directly in your conferencing application unless you go through a few extra steps to create a virtual webcam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JBraddock said:

They do not, unfortunately. What they have, as I described above, is a new view mode in the tether application that removes all display information and creates a clean window so that you can capture that window with a streaming software, which means that you can’t use it directly in your conferencing application unless you go through a few extra steps to create a virtual webcam.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. It's a rather poor software design, then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly if Panasonic created a camera with the following I would be completely sold, all I need for quite some time to come:

  • 4k60p 10 bit
  • S1H dynamic range and color
  • Native duel ISO
  • Super 35 or full frame sensor
  • Built in NDs
  • h.265 and prores codecs
  • IBIS
  • Duel pixal autofocus

I could honestly care less about 6k or 8k, raw and the like unless it was a good compressed raw like r3d.  A rich cinematic image, built in NDs and a reliable body would be top of my list.

 

I currently shoot with GH5s and speedboosters and they are the closest things I have ever gotten to that list, really just add NDs, good auto focus, nail down the color science and low light a bit more like the GH5s but with IBIS and they would have the "perfect" camera in my book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

These are some stills from a recent GH5 doc project

Looks really solid. What lens did you use?

I think projects like yours are an excellent example of a use case for a future GH6.

If the GH6 offered a solid 4K up to 120p unlimited recording. Vastly improved autofocus. A bright and accurate Flip LCD and one of the newer EVFs. They already have the excellent and much loved XLR hot shot adapter. Add in some kind of useable internal RAW recording. Full Vlog and 1 stop extra DR from GH5S (12.5-13).

They would have an excellent and light camera that would punch above its weight. Without the need for an external recorder and with excellent add-on audio interface when the job requires it.

It’s pretty clear that FF isn’t quite there yet sub cinema camera costs. RS issues. Overheating issues. Crop modes to fix those issues or low MP stacked sensors that remove the “hybrid” from the mirrorless camera that everybody wants.

I hope Panasonic is taking notes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO the GH6 could be a seriously formidable camera with just a few good tweaks to the sensor and PDAF. If it only does 4k at upto 120fps (and perhaps 1080p at 240fps), has atleast 1 stop better dynamic range for video, has 14-bit RAW photo and about 1.5-2 stops of better low light, it should be more than sufficient for the next generation of filmmakers and usable for another 3-4 years. Having RAW via HDMI or having some flavour of internal compressed RAW (BRAW) would be great. 8k is just overkill, causing the camera to turn into a barbeque machine and eating unnecessarily into memory. Plus good 4k can easily be upressed to 8k, if one absolutely needs it (which is like not right now).

The colour science and highlight handling need tweaking and the VLog L needs to go. 

Luckilg it doesn't suffer from overheating, and so many othe issues. Panasonic should keep the price as low or lower than the GH5.  They could do this by re-using the GH5's basic body structure (or using the G9's body structure) and re-use some of the hardware. If they get PDAF, and these features, and the GH6 is priced at $1500-1750, it could easily eat into everyone else's market. 

Both size and price of the M43 has become difficult to justify after the launch of the A7III and the XT3, and the ever increasing size of M43 bodies (1DX and G9) and lenses (all the Olympus f1.2 pro primes). Suddenly $2000 seems like a good price for many cameras. Blackmagic makes great cameras, but they lack reliability, weather-sealing, decent battery life, IBIS, decent autofocus. Also the 5 inch screen seems like a wasted effort if it cannot be seen during the day. Panasonic just needs to consolidate its video prowess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done for getting the opportunity to talk with Panasonic! This is a great example of one of the many reasons your forum is of great value to the community.

Commitment to and future direction of MFT, specially the GH line (more video centric, eND, zoom in to check focus etc). Taking ergonomic elements of the C100 and XC10 (rotating grip with joystick, ND placement, etc) could well make a compelling argument to stick with MFT. Also whether they are considering longer f1.7  MFT zooms. Compatibility of V-Log, colours etc accross all Panasonic lines (GH, S, Varicam and DVX).

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many great suggestions for the interview. Awesome, cannot wait to read this tasty treat! My selfish wish would be a firmware update for the S1 giving us perfect HD just like the GH5 and 10bit 422 for the 4k 50p! That would make the S1 the perfect cam of its generation. Common, Panny, if GH5 has perfect HD resolution, your mega flagships S1 and S1H must have it. Especially the S1, my S1, you know 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Looks really solid. What lens did you use?

I think projects like yours are an excellent example of a use case for a future GH6.

If the GH6 offered a solid 4K up to 120p unlimited recording. Vastly improved autofocus. A bright and accurate Flip LCD and one of the newer EVFs. They already have the excellent and much loved XLR hot shot adapter. Add in some kind of useable internal RAW recording. Full Vlog and 1 stop extra DR from GH5S (12.5-13).

They would have an excellent and light camera that would punch above its weight. Without the need for an external recorder and with excellent add-on audio interface when the job requires it.

It’s pretty clear that FF isn’t quite there yet sub cinema camera costs. RS issues. Overheating issues. Crop modes to fix those issues or low MP stacked sensors that remove the “hybrid” from the mirrorless camera that everybody wants.

I hope Panasonic is taking notes.

I used the Canon L 24-105 with a speedboster

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 12:20 PM, JBraddock said:

Rather than providing a clean feed window for live streaming in their tether application , which is then to be captured by a streaming software,  do they have any plan to enable a webcam mode in their cameras, similar to what Canon, Fujifilm and more recently Olympus have done?

Just an update to my own question, apparently Panasonic is going to release a “Lumix Webcam Software” in September/October to enable webcam mode for some of its cameras, including DC-S1H, DC-S1R, DC-S1, DC-GH5S, DC-GH5, and DC-G9 models. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...