Jump to content

Canon 9th July "Reimagine" event for EOS R5 and R6 unveiling


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have noticed actually that after ages of Squarespace, WIX and Monday.com plaguing me with ads on YouTube that most of mine in the past month have been from Canon so maybe they are really embracing marketing through the "Yo guys, smash the like button" avenue.

I been hit by artist.io on every freaking youtube video i seen in the past weeks, make me want to boycott them instead!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone is lining up to buy the camera purely based on specs. There are so many intangibles yet to be learned: Rolling Shutter Dynamic Range Highlight Roll-off Detail in

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-officially-schedules-9th-july-live-event-to-reveal-eos-r5-and-eos-r6/ https://www.canon.co.uk/pro/events/reimagine-live-event/ Save the date! Shills wil

I guess that it is impossible to build a camera without one or two flaws (not saying that is the case of the new Canons, they have more than this). And even only with one or two flaws, will be people

Posted Images

Getting pretty exciting!

I gotta say, despite my belief that the EOS R had just awful UI, these cameras are looking very exciting and maybe (finally) everything in one package. Sony has tried to pour lots into their mirrorless cameras, but never got 10-bit and their color is dreadful compared to Canon/Fuji/Panasonic. Panasonic S1(H) is close to being perfect but they are large and don't have good AF at all.

With the R5 and R6, we get Canon's color and IQ (perhaps both best in class), Canon's AF (seemingly updated), internal Raw, 10-bit codecs, high frame rates, option to have a variable ND "in-camera" (see: adapter), IBIS, and all in a pretty compact mirrorless package. Not to mention 40+ megapixel stills and Canon's amazing RF glass. Frankly, anything at or around $4k for the R5 seems like a pretty darn good deal.

It's a very, very impressive list. I love my S1H as I think it has IQ that rivals cameras double (or triple) its price point and has the dual XLR adapter. And I love Fuji for photos due to their compactness, but perhaps the R5 could replace both those systems and match better with the cinema cameras I usually use (Canon C series). 

Pretty impressive and excited to see what tomorrow brings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CR has US prices - I'm in on the R5 at $3899. I'll be shifting the remainder of my Sony gear and possibly pick up a R6 as well, unless they're complete turds. https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-the-usd-prices-for-the-canon-eos-r5-canon-eos-r6-and-lenses/

Canon EOS R bodies to be announced tomorrow

Canon EOS R5 $3899

Canon EOS R5 w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM $4999

Canon EOS R6 $2499

Canon EOS R6 w/24-105mm IS STM $2899

Canon EOS R6 w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM $3599

Canon RF lenses to be announced tomorrow

Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM $599

Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM $2699

Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM $699

Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM $899

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

"A¬†French retailer¬†lists the¬†Canon EOS R5 price at ‚ā¨4,549."

The euro price will be very difficult to digest. That's 1000$ difference.

I was hoping the R6 was a 24-28mgpxls camera for some reasons. 

The 20mp is the biggest thing that's giving me pause about the R6. I have 30, 36 and 42 between the EOS R and a couple generations of a7r's, 20 is a huge step back on the photo side. The difference from 24 to 42 with the a73 and a7r3 was tough to do when I shot both of them. Wonder why Canon is stuck on that one.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The 20mp is the biggest thing that's giving me pause about the R6. I have 30, 36 and 42 between the EOS R and a couple generations of a7r's, 20 is a huge step back on the photo side. The difference from 24 to 42 with the a73 and a7r3 was tough to do when I shot both of them. Wonder why Canon is stuck on that one.

Chris

Why not get the R5, thats what it's for. 

I am hoping the low MP on the R6 is for better low light performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Why not get the R5, thats what it's for. 

I am hoping the low MP on the R6 is for better low light performance. 

I am not sure if you read my post, but the first indication of the price in EU is 4.549euros, that is 5.155$!!

For me personally, I wanted the R6 to be my "perfect" hybrid. 20megapixels will cause pause to some people and did for me. 

When I am buying a hybrid, I want to be 50% photos and 50% video, or else I am buying a video camera for the R5 money.

I will be waiting for the first reviews ofcourse, maybe I can live with that, we will see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the R6 will have 10-bit video, but only in IPB and not ALL-I as well like the R5 and 1DX III. That's a bummer, because for 4K, the All-I, 10-bit codec on a 20-megapixel camera sounds better than one on a 45-megapixel camera for low-light and downsampling. 

On the price front, $3899 seems like a great deal for the R5 - basically has the speed of an A9 (12fps/20fps), with the megapixel count of an A7r (40+), the codecs (and then some) of an S1H, with what may be the best IBIS in the business (perhaps outside of Panasonic). Don't know that last one for sure yet, but Canon tends to be late to certain technology because they don't rush it and tend to be more robust than Sony or Nikon, whose IBIS is shaky at best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am not sure if you read my post, but the first indication of the price in EU is 4.549euros, that is 5.155$!!

For me personally, I wanted the R6 to be my "perfect" hybrid. 20megapixels will cause pause to some people and did for me. 

When I am buying a hybrid, I want to be 50% photos and 50% video, or else I am buying a video camera for the R5 money.

I will be waiting for the first reviews ofcourse, maybe I can live with that, we will see.

US pricing confirmed as $2499 for R6 and $3899 for R5. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Seems like the R6 will have 10-bit video, but only in IPB and not ALL-I as well like the R5 and 1DX III. That's a bummer, because for 4K, the All-I, 10-bit codec on a 20-megapixel camera sounds better than one on a 45-megapixel camera for low-light and downsampling. 

 

 

Which one will be better in terms of image quality and/or latitude in post? Oversampled 5K in 4k IPB or pixel binned 4K All-I?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

US pricing confirmed as $2499 for R6 and $3899 for R5. 

U.S is just 328.000.000 there are 7.500.000.000 others using different currencies. 

445.000.000 people buy in Euros, and the price is near (probably) 4.500euros (5.150$).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

"A¬†French retailer¬†lists the¬†Canon EOS R5 price at ‚ā¨4,549."

The euro price will be very difficult to digest. That's 1000$ difference.

The euro price is including VAT at 16% (it's been lowered due to the virus but is still high).

When you buy a camera in the US from B&H at $3899 what is the final price including tax? Depends on your state?

In the UK and Europe, £4500 looks a lot worse than £3899 and it will tank sales in this region more than Canon expects.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...