Camera owning plans 2020

thebrothersthre3

15 minutes ago, noone said:

My camera owning plans for 2020 is to still be alive to continue to own my new first version A7s.      There is still no other camera I would take over it for my needs shooting in low light for stills and video (a few cameras are better now around the ISO 3200 range but at ISO 25600 it has greater DR than some cameras do at much lower levels).     My lenses are pretty much were I want them and settled for the A7s.

I Will probably be letting go my other digital ILC's and MAYBE later this year buying another cheap APSC E mount back up.

I WILL be buying lots of very cheap P&S and camcorder type cameras and similar to play with for next to nothing .    Makes me interested in  at least half decent video up resizing software (the P&S cameras have only 720p video and the camcorders often even only SD)... my Dad' ancient Canon G10 with a built in ND and much better stills than a tiny P&S sensor of its age should have (but low res video)   Want a battery for my late Dad's other camera, a Fuji superzoom to give it a try (small sensor and only 720p)

Yeah I still recommend the A7S and SII for people on a low budget, for versatility. The S1 beats it out though IMHO

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I still recommend the A7S and SII for people on a low budget, for versatility. The S1 beats it out though IMHO

I am sure the S1 does for versatility as does probably every other FF camera made in the last four years.      Above ISO 12800 though (which is what i am often at for stills and my limited video use, I would prefer the A7s).     I do not need 4k yet.

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I am waiting on the viltox 1.4 lenses for Fuji, should have fast AF and are quite a bit cheaper than fuji's 1.4 primes(at least from rumors). The XT4 could be really hard to beat if its got Panasonic like battery life and IBIS. Plus I am expecting a boost in the already good AF performance. 

My biggest complaint with Panasonic is the AF and you also can't punch in while recording, makes manual focus a lot harder. I use that feature constantly on the Fuji.

Yeah, AF isn't the strong suit, and I agree about the focusing - I MF and the focus peaking is pretty average.

I worked out that the peaking is calculated on the display resolution and not the source resolution, so if you have fine detail that is in focus but the display resolution is too low for that detail then it gets smoothed out in the downscale and therefore doesn't show in the peaking.

I've had situations where the talent was in focus but the peaking highlighted high contrast areas in the background and didn't highlight the talent at all - completely misleading.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not the Pro version like you had originally planned?

That was a typo as I always get confused about which is which. Internal ND's and BRAW would be nice but I am perfectly happy with prores and am used to using ND's with my SLR's so its not a deal breaker. Kind of forgot about the IR pollution issue, but thats an easy enough fix.

I didn't think it was possible but it seems like you can mount Nikon lenses to EF with a thin adapter. That might be the way to go for me. Just got one of those cheap CFast to SSD cables, I am gonna go that route for storage. Got an NPF to Vmount plate too. Its going to be a bit ghetto for now but it'll work.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is the beauty of the Nikon system, you can mount it on anything! 

The URSA Mini Pro can get a "native" Nikon F mount though

Yeah but it costs about $400 and never comes up used! I got the Canon mount for $100 and the camera itself comes with a PL mount. I am cool with an adapter as I'll only use Nikon lenses for cheaper jobs where it doesn't matter as much. Bigger projects adapters can be a little cumbersome but its usually PL lenses or EF for big projects.

I am really excited to get it though!

@IronFilm

So more 2020 camera plans coming to reality. I just got a good deal on a Sony F3 ($500), it also came with the 444 upgrade😎

Question for you though as I know you work with these cameras on a regular basis, can the Atomos Ninja 2 be used with it? Would need somekind of HDMI to SDI adapter I imagine? 

No 2020 plans really, all my gear still works great for my needs, Fuji X-T2, Panansonic GH5, Fuji GFX50R, Fuji X-E3, and the ol' Canon 5DMkII still works well, yadda yadda yadda...

However, an excellent deal to get a very low shot count Mamiya DM33 digital back and adapter for my Mamiya RZ67 II Pro was presented, and I jumped.

I am having lots of fun with it.

1 hour ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Nice deal, but why are these 'sxs' memory cards so f*cking expensive??? Two 32GB cards will cost you as much as the camera.

Yeah they are pretty dumb. This is coming with an SXS to SD adapter though which is going to be legit. I also have my Ninja 2 recorder so I can just record straight to an SSD if I want prores 422 

• Administrators
On 1/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

The S1 seems to have an unmatched image quality for the price. The high ISO performance, full frame sensor, codec, and dynamic range are all incredible. Again I feel like its a no brainer camera. The codec and sensor aren't as great but the high ISO performance would beat out cameras that are 10 times the price. That is pretty insane. Plus the dynamic range is probably right there with something like the FX9 or C500. The value for $2000 is just amazing.

I think the S1 codec (400Mbit 10bit 422) is as good as ProRes, in terms of the image quality.

Full frame sensor look, can't beat it.

Low light is much better than the URSA 4.6K which tops out around 1600 usable I believe?

Put your Nikon Ai glass on it and you have overall 10+ features the Ursa doesn't have, like IBIS, in something much smaller and lighter.

I reckon you'll be back in a month or so with one :)

Enjoy your Ursa in the meantime though.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think the S1 codec (400Mbit 10bit 422) is as good as ProRes, in terms of the image quality.

Full frame sensor look, can't beat it.

Low light is much better than the URSA 4.6K which tops out around 1600 usable I believe?

Put your Nikon Ai glass on it and you have overall 10+ features the Ursa doesn't have, like IBIS, in something much smaller and lighter.

I reckon you'll be back in a month or so with one :)

Enjoy your Ursa in the meantime though.

The URSA really tops out at 800 as you get weird fixed noise pattern at 1600 iso. 

That said the URSA still wins out in dynamic range especially when shooting RAW and I think the color science is quite nice as well. 

I do plan on purchasing an S1 at some point. I think they'll drop even lower in price in a few months. Its kind of a no brainer camera. People like to see "real cinema cameras" though. Panasonic should have put the S1H in a EVA1 body with Electronic ND's imho.

But you are right I will be getting one soonish probably. I am too much of a camera addict not to at that price point. 😅😅

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah they are pretty dumb. This is coming with an SXS to SD adapter though which is going to be legit. I also have my Ninja 2 recorder so I can just record straight to an SSD if I want prores 422 

I highly recommend going out to a recorder via SDI and recording Prores 4:2:2 from it, the image quality is up there with the best of them if you expose it right.

Very jealous of that deal BTW, but it looks like a ton of people are dropping their F3's. It's a pretty incredible camera still if you don't need 4K. 

37 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I highly recommend going out to a recorder via SDI and recording Prores 4:2:2 from it, the image quality is up there with the best of them if you expose it right.

Very jealous of that deal BTW, but it looks like a ton of people are dropping their F3's. It's a pretty incredible camera still if you don't need 4K. 

Yeah the EVF is broken but I think its still a great deal as I almost never use EVF's. 

I owned one briefly last year. Ended up selling it as I wasn't finding the image to stand out much over the GH5. That said the dynamic range is a bit better and the color science is as well. 
Mainly getting it for the internal ND's, XLR, battery life, price, and it just looks professional. Going to sell my XT-30 to fund it. I am finding small cameras to be annoying to rig up and then they just look janky with all that shit attached to them. 

I know a lot of people say the color science compares to the F35 which people say is superior to Arri's products(some people that is lol)