Jump to content
thebrothersthre3

Camera owning plans 2020

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mercer said:

That's definitely a cool lens. It seems to get mixed reviews on RedUser. Does it cover FF or will you use it in S35 mode?

Keep me updated about the FP!

S35.

I often find Reduser to be a mixed bag about most things but cheaper lenses in particular.

There is a lot of couching it in terms of "I've only got this for personal projects" which strikes me as a pre-emptive defence in case it is belittled by some members of the cult/forum.

From my point of view, the benchmark for me for that lens is that it remains the most compelling of any "lets just go down the park and shoot a lot of setups with one lens on the LS300" stuff I've seen ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I often find Reduser to be a mixed bag about most things but cheaper lenses in particular.

Yeah it's a weird mix of... "just throw a Sigma Art on it" and "I had the same copy that Sergio Leone used in his lost spaghetti western Chef Boyardee and the Dead."

Strange place but useful sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah it's a weird mix of... "just throw a Sigma Art on it" and "I had the same copy that Sergio Leone used in his lost spaghetti western Chef Boyardee and the Dead."

Strange place but useful sometimes.

Even then there'll be someone saying they prefer the rendering on the one he used on the prequel Chef Boyardee And The Living

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't buy a 30mm f1.4 as well, the different between 1.4 and 1.8 in terms of light is marginal 

 

2/3rds of a stop can be the difference between a little extra shadow detail and a noisy mess in available/practical light... especially if you're trying to hold the native ISO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Even then there'll be someone saying they prefer the rendering on the one he used on the prequel Chef Boyardee And The Living

I was trying to follow the Komodo thread a few months back but got lost in an argument that Red would go out of business if they didn't price it at the same level as the P6K vs Red could require the cremated remains of a loved one as down payment and still stay competitive.

Strange argument...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was trying to follow the Komodo thread a few months back but got lost in an argument that Red would go out of business if they didn't price it at the same level as the P6K vs Red could require the cremated remains of a loved one as down payment and still stay competitive.

That is also an accurate guess at the price for Komodo! Somewhere between BMD Pocket pricing and "your dead mother's ashes" down payment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was trying to follow the Komodo thread a few months back but got lost in an argument that Red would go out of business if they didn't price it at the same level as the P6K vs Red could require the cremated remains of a loved one as down payment and still stay competitive.

Strange argument...

I do wonder what will happen to the dynamic on there if the Komodo is anywhere near the top end of the prosumer price bracket.

As RED found with the Hydrogen, a lot less slack will be given by those customers for issues than has been the case with their more forgiving base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well despite telling myself I'm saving for UMP G2 and have to save money, I accidentally just went out and bought an a6400 as a b-cam. It should be here next week along with a couple of accessories.

I know it has horrible rolling shutter in 4K but it'll be a tripod mounted b-cam most of the time. I also got it to use in a water housing as it's one of the few models that has an inexpensive pre-made surf housing (as opposed to dive housing) available. For that purpose it will mostly be used in 1080p slow mo, or sometimes for photos.

I also kind of wanted something small that I can pick up and shoot family stuff with or just carry with me. My current FS700/Inferno rig is made for proper shoots and takes a day to charge up all the batteries, so I wanted a little setup that I could just grab and go if I need to. Gonna use it with a Sigma 18-35 and will use a Tilta Mini Matte Box for ND filters. I've ordered the Titla MB but it's going to take at least 4 weeks to arrive due to Coronavirus delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I do wonder what will happen to the dynamic on there if the Komodo is anywhere near the top end of the prosumer price bracket.

As RED found with the Hydrogen, a lot less slack will be given by those customers for issues than has been the case with their more forgiving base.

That's why they shunted off all discussion of Hydrogen into its own private forum, so it wouldn't pollute the environment of reduser

Maybe they will do that again with Komodo?

Am kinda forgetting what was the reaction to Raven? It was priced much higher than those other two of course, but it still was RED's cheapest product ever at that point in time and must have lead to a small influx of "the great unwashed" onto reduser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

Well despite telling myself I'm saving for UMP G2 and have to save money, I accidentally just went out and bought an a6400 as a b-cam. It should be here next week along with a couple of accessories.

I know it has horrible rolling shutter in 4K but it'll be a tripod mounted b-cam most of the time. I also got it to use in a water housing as it's one of the few models that has an inexpensive pre-made surf housing (as opposed to dive housing) available. For that purpose it will mostly be used in 1080p slow mo, or sometimes for photos.

I also kind of wanted something small that I can pick up and shoot family stuff with or just carry with me. My current FS700/Inferno rig is made for proper shoots and takes a day to charge up all the batteries, so I wanted a little setup that I could just grab and go if I need to. Gonna use it with a Sigma 18-35 and will use a Tilta Mini Matte Box for ND filters. I've ordered the Titla MB but it's going to take at least 4 weeks to arrive due to Coronavirus delays.

As a Sony owner and shooter, I can tell you that indeed, the rolling shutter is real bad, as you noted.

You'll love the autofocus (if you use AF when shooting video... some people don't). 

It's not the greatest focal length on aps-c, but the crop sensor version of the 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens is quite a gem. inexpensive (I bought mine used for about $125.), Sharp, fast, great AF, pretty decent bokeh, has lens stabilization. The full frame version is a dog though. If you want an interview lens with AF it would be a pretty good choice, IMHO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

Well despite telling myself I'm saving for UMP G2 and have to save money, I accidentally just went out and bought an a6400 as a b-cam. It should be here next week along with a couple of accessories.

I know it has horrible rolling shutter in 4K but it'll be a tripod mounted b-cam most of the time. I also got it to use in a water housing as it's one of the few models that has an inexpensive pre-made surf housing (as opposed to dive housing) available. For that purpose it will mostly be used in 1080p slow mo, or sometimes for photos.

I also kind of wanted something small that I can pick up and shoot family stuff with or just carry with me. My current FS700/Inferno rig is made for proper shoots and takes a day to charge up all the batteries, so I wanted a little setup that I could just grab and go if I need to. Gonna use it with a Sigma 18-35 and will use a Tilta Mini Matte Box for ND filters. I've ordered the Titla MB but it's going to take at least 4 weeks to arrive due to Coronavirus delays.

Yeah the rolling shutter and moire in 1080p killed that camera for me. I wish they would have gotten a handle on it with the a6400. Not sure why Fuji's are vastly better IQ wise having pretty much the same sensor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90% of my work is solo corporate work. Half interviews the other half corporate events (like conferences). About 10% of the work is branding videos with small teams (I hire 1-2 people). 

I shoot on the S1 and rent an Eva1 if needed. I started with the GH series, so i'm most comfortable with V-log. I like packing small, I do travel.

This year I was planning to sell the S1, invest a few thousand dollars and get a used EVA1 or maybe C200/300mk2. Obvious advantages from moving to a camera like that from a mirrorless.

But recently I've thought about going the other direction and buying 3 Z Cam E2 (yes 3), when the price starts to drop (about $1350 used meaning I could get 3 for about $4k) . I always thought I should move up and buy more expensive cameras, but I'm starting to think that for my kind of work having more cameras allows me to significantly change what I can offer my clients.

The camera/M43 lenses are so small, I could pack a 3 camera set up  in a backpack. Maybe even a small motorized slider. I could produce much better interview content with multiple angles. For conferences I could do 2 stationary cameras and one manned and produce multi-cam keynote speeches. For branding work, I could build the camera up (metabones XL, Full Frame glass, V Mount) and it would look fine for agency people.  Unless something comes out at NAB that is just jaw-dropping, I really think multiple small cameras is the best approach for me personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FreshGiant said:

90% of my work is solo corporate work. Half interviews the other half corporate events (like conferences). About 10% of the work is branding videos with small teams (I hire 1-2 people). 

I shoot on the S1 and rent an Eva1 if needed. I started with the GH series, so i'm most comfortable with V-log. I like packing small, I do travel.

This year I was planning to sell the S1, invest a few thousand dollars and get a used EVA1 or maybe C200/300mk2. Obvious advantages from moving to a camera like that from a mirrorless.

But recently I've thought about going the other direction and buying 3 Z Cam E2 (yes 3), when the price starts to drop (about $1350 used meaning I could get 3 for about $4k) . I always thought I should move up and buy more expensive cameras, but I'm starting to think that for my kind of work having more cameras allows me to significantly change what I can offer my clients.

The camera/M43 lenses are so small, I could pack a 3 camera set up  in a backpack. Maybe even a small motorized slider. I could produce much better interview content with multiple angles. For conferences I could do 2 stationary cameras and one manned and produce multi-cam keynote speeches. For branding work, I could build the camera up (metabones XL, Full Frame glass, V Mount) and it would look fine for agency people.  Unless something comes out at NAB that is just jaw-dropping, I really think multiple small cameras is the best approach for me personally.

Thats pretty cool. I feel like the Z-cam E2's are a pretty compact solution. You kind of need monitors for them though which does bulk everything up. They definitely look more professional than a SLR type camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Thats pretty cool. I feel like the Z-cam E2's are a pretty compact solution. You kind of need monitors for them though which does bulk everything up. They definitely look more professional than a SLR type camera. 

So I'd have the Portkeys monitor on top (which controls the camera). Then I would just use Wifi app to monitor/control the other 2. Old Iphones like 6s are $75 on ebay. Here is an example of 1 iphone/magic arm. Imagine another on the other side and a top monitor. Still pretty compact. I'd probably go with the Sigma 16/30/56mm F1.4 m43. Would be an excellent affordable 3 camera interview kit.

1-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FreshGiant said:

I always thought I should move up and buy more expensive cameras, but I'm starting to think that for my kind of work having more cameras allows me to significantly change what I can offer my clients.

The camera/M43 lenses are so small, I could pack a 3 camera set up  in a backpack. Maybe even a small motorized slider. I could produce much better interview content with multiple angles. For conferences I could do 2 stationary cameras and one manned and produce multi-cam keynote speeches. 

That's where I'm at too. It's been more valuable for me to have put my money into multiple cameras than one or two "better" ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FreshGiant said:

But recently I've thought about going the other direction and buying 3 Z Cam E2

I've been intrigued by the Z-cams too - mainly the S35 version. But by the time I price up a full build (including ND's, a sound solution, metabones, etc) it starts to cost the same as a C200/EVA1 anyway.

What are your plans for sound with the Z-Cam, and how would you mount V-lock batteries? I've seen some teasers for an integrated mount but not sure if it's made it to market yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

What are your plans for sound with the Z-Cam, and how would you mount V-lock batteries? I've seen some teasers for an integrated mount but not sure if it's made it to market yet.

Battery life is pretty good with a big NP-F970 battery on the back which is the usual set up. 

Only if you need to power more things might you go with a bigger V Mount battery? And if you're putting a video transmitter, wireless follow focus, extra monitor, camera hop, etc... all to be powered by the camera battery, then you've probably got the Z Cam rigged out on rails with space to put that V Mount on it at the back now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I've been intrigued by the Z-cams too - mainly the S35 version. But by the time I price up a full build (including ND's, a sound solution, metabones, etc) it starts to cost the same as a C200/EVA1 anyway.

What are your plans for sound with the Z-Cam, and how would you mount V-lock batteries? I've seen some teasers for an integrated mount but not sure if it's made it to market yet.

Yeah I don't think you'd need V-mounts. Plus you'd not need a metabones either, the C200 is S35 as well. Metabones is just a bonus option that the C200 doesn't even have. 

C200's are going for mad cheap sometimes though. Saw one used at $4500 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

C200's are going for mad cheap sometimes though. Saw one used at $4500 

While an FS7 is going for a thousand bucks cheaper than that! 

Rather have a FS7, greater demand for  that, and more versatile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...