Sirui anamorphic

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

thats a lot of links emanuel. Are you an ambassador ? ?

this lens could be quite interesting may have to keep an eye out. If they can get it done for 700 euro that might translate to  a reasonable price here in aus. Bit sad its only 1.33 but i don't think that's a deal breaker. For me its more about how it flares more then out of focus high lights, While i like a nice blue flare for night time and scifi i think it would be awesome for one to flare red for sunsets or sunrises. I have seen  iscorama's that do it but their way out of my price range usually. if sirui could make one with red flares well i.d probably buy one in a heartbeat.  

• 1 month later...

Im very interested in getting the 50mm but only if i can use it at aps-c crop. I have a gh5-s and an S1 and would much prefer to use it on the s1. 

But the lens Will only be released in x-mount / e-mount / mft mount, right? 

So will there be any way to get this lens to work with the S1? There arent any adapters available right? Will that be possible at all? Or to change the mount to a Nikon G mount or so that it can be used with a nikon to l mount adapter? 

Image circle is APS-C. Only available in three mounts, that have APS-C sensor camera bodies to go with that. So indeed, Fujifilm X-mount, Sony E-mount (but one would figure you could use it on the A7/A9 series in S35 mode) and of course MFT (that JVC GY-LS300 of course with the APS-C sensor). So far I know there's only MFT (lens) to E-mount (body) adapters out there. Lenses these days are from the ground up intended for mirrorless, so I think it's quite tough to go from one to the other without having some more flange distance variety. That means you need quite the hardware modification to make it work, unless some interchangeable lens mount was forseen in advance (which seems not the case). Would be nice to have universal lenses with quick swap mounts, but that would probably mean they're bigger than they'd have to be and the swappable mount would raise some questions regarding sturdiness and performance tolerances.

The s1 has an APS-C crop in 4k 50fps which I use all the time with a Sigma 18-35mm, so it could work very well in theory.

Just too bad that adapters won't be possible and Sirui won't release it with any other mounts. The lens seems to perform very well and I heard they are probably going to release a set of them (wide / 50mm / tele). And that would be awesome to have.

Well, I do have a GH5-S. But a 50mm with a 1.9x crop factor is way to 'tele' for my liking and couldn't be use as a general purpose lens.

It's interesting that the 50mm 1.8 is perhaps the most common lens design, and if we take an image circle designed to cover a FF sensor and applied a 1.33x horizontal crunch then that would line up pretty well with an APS-C crop, therefore making a lens that shares (at least some of) its optics with the cheapest and most common lens design ever made.

I suspect that's pretty much the recipe for how they made this lens - get a 50mm 1.8 design and apply some optics that give the 1.33x and there you go.  This makes Sirui the anamorphic equivalent of Yongnuo, which seems like a great thing for anamorphic shooters everywhere :) 

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Interesting to note that 1.26x close focus squeeze.

I thought that was gonna shock everyone, but you're the first one to comment on it! hahahahaha

2 hours ago, heart0less said:

Before watching this, I was quite sceptical about the lens. A lot of fuss, IndieGoGo, many popular YouTubers involved, etc. I don't really appreciate campaigns like this.
But @Tito Ferradans managed to convert me. ( :

Great job!

Ohhh, thank you so much man!

I reached out to SIRUI as soon as the first article about the lens came out. I'm also not a huge fan of the indiegogo campaign (too "flashy") and after watching all the other reviews I knew exactly what I needed to cover on mine: the technical stuff only hardcore anamorphic people would think about. For the new vanilla shooters out there, most of the stuff I'm highlighting is TMI. ?

What's the real shock here is that you aren't using a Panasonic that has an anamorphic mode... in-camera de-squeeze etc. ?

I was at IBC2019 and was able to have a looksie look at it and play with it, looked very promising indeed! Believe I was with the first 20 backers on the campaign (no social influencer freebies here). xD In the comments they mentioned the slanted flares were prototype issues and the retail version will be shipped out with perfectly horizontal flares. So fingers crossed regarding that.

P.s. where was that shot? Europe? Those two you were with... German?

What's fascinating, is that no one has done it before. The fact that the anamorphic ratio varies means that the lens is very simple optically. Just synced heliocoids, and no fancy optical elements to correct the mump effect. It's basically an off the shelf 50mm formula mechanically linked with a x1.33 element à la SLR magic. Feels like 1955 all over again in terms of anamorphic history (minus the X2 ratio). 

I really don't get why SLR magic never bothered to produce such a combo. They had the lens and the adapter after all. But well done Sirui nonetheless, that's a great first step. Hopefully there will be more.  

21 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

What's the real shock here is that you aren't using a Panasonic that has an anamorphic mode... in-camera de-squeeze etc. ?

I was at IBC2019 and was able to have a looksie look at it and play with it, looked very promising indeed! Believe I was with the first 20 backers on the campaign (no social influencer freebies here). xD In the comments they mentioned the slanted flares were prototype issues and the retail version will be shipped out with perfectly horizontal flares. So fingers crossed regarding that.

P.s. where was that shot? Europe? Those two you were with... German?

That was shot here in Vancouver, yesterday as a matter of fact. hahahha! Those two are Brazilians and the girl in pink is my girlfriend. ?

I got mine in e-mount because I didn't want the review to be too different from everything that came before. Full frame can push optics harder and that's what I was going for. hahahah.

13 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

What's fascinating, is that no one has done it before. The fact that the anamorphic ratio varies means that the lens is very simple optically. Just synced heliocoids, and no fancy optical elements to correct the mump effect. It's basically an off the shelf 50mm formula mechanically linked with a x1.33 element à la SLR magic. Feels like 1955 all over again in terms of anamorphic history (minus the X2 ratio). 

I really don't get why SLR magic never bothered to produce such a combo. They had the lens and the adapter after all. But well done Sirui nonetheless, that's a great first step. Hopefully there will be more.  

So far, every time I brought the subject of synchro focus up with lens techs and manufacturers, everyone was horrified. The main issue is the focus curve isn't linear for both lenses, so travel for each lens is set differently and controlled by a "master" helicoid, which is the focus ring.

1 minute ago, Tito Ferradans said:

So far, every time I brought the subject of synchro focus up with lens techs and manufacturers, everyone was horrified. The main issue is the focus curve isn't linear for both lenses, so travel for each lens is set differently and controlled by a "master" helicoid, which is the focus ring.

I saw some russian who 3D printed a double helicoid adapter to fit his projection lens and a taking lens. Worked very well but it was bulky as shit, and made the combination look like a tank. It's no magic. Especially if you do it from scratch. Proof is that Sirui did it for their first lens...

15 minutes ago, Tito Ferradans said:

That was shot here in Vancouver, yesterday as a matter of fact. hahahha! Those two are Brazilians and the girl in pink is my girlfriend. ? [..]

Haha, looks just as cold as Europe. xD And those exotic Brazilians reminded me of a colleague and a friend, both of which German speaking. But I guess pretty far off then!

I got mine in e-mount because I didn't want the review to be too different from everything that came before. Full frame can push optics harder and that's what I was going for. hahahah.

Ah, I see. ;)

Speaking of seeing... can't wait to see what they're coming out with next! 25mm? 35mm? Good to see China's rising in this industry with the likes of Sirui, SLR Magic, Laowa, DZOFILM, ZY Optics, etc.