Jump to content
Emanuel

Sirui anamorphic

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, leslie said:

[..]

damn  their starting to go fast, i was hoping to get one soonish, just need to rob a bank er.... no one say anything to grimor please. ?

My pledge was at the super early bird tier level, which is the same moniez as the secret perk for people who subscribed in advance (US$549). As I did not use the special link myself, I can give it to you to take one spot (shouldn't go public with the link tho, for the sake of the other early pre-launch subscribers who were not able to back just yet, but there are quite a few left) if that helps. Always recommend the out/in principle. Sell off something and use it to buy something. Must be something around you don't really use and can be turned to funds. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i want one, and i appreciate the offer. Been out of work for two months so things are a little tight. Maybe in the new year, i can make things stretch a bit besides i have some gear already  so its not like i dont have something to play with but a single focus would have been nice.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

AUD that is, not USD, eh ?

Half so bad or well... 0.69 so bad.

(Though as said, US$549 option is out there)

Sorry... $870 for a Sirui lens... ouch. To each their own, but I don't like the idea of funding manufacturing for an established company like Sirui.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JBL (by Harman) just went to Indiegogo with a headphone. I saw Philips on there earlier as well. More and more established companies taking to crowdfunding as a marketing ploy. And they can if the product is a brand new thing. Even Peak Design with origins taking to crowdfunding as a start-up must not have much actual need for it in order to realize a new product either.

At least you know that unlike shady campaigns they're likely to live up to their promise and you do end up getting a nice deal/discount. That you prefer to miss out out of principle and rather wait it out and perhaps buy it later at full retail is your prerogative of course. ? I happen to think US$549 is a steal for an all-in-one anamorphic lens solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cinegain said:

JBL (by Harman) just went to Indiegogo with a headphone. I saw Philips on there earlier as well. More and more established companies taking to crowdfunding as a marketing ploy. And they can if the product is a brand new thing. Even Peak Design with origins taking to crowdfunding as a start-up must not have much actual need for it in order to realize a new product either.

At least you know that unlike shady campaigns they're likely to live up to their promise and you do end up getting a nice deal/discount. That you prefer to miss out out of principle and rather wait it out and perhaps buy it later at full retail is your prerogative of course. ? I happen to think US$549 is a steal for an all-in-one anamorphic lens solution.

i agree, it is a bargain and it is pretty smart marketing, why use your own money when you can use someone else's ? it pretty much guarantees every $ that comes in is cream or gravy depending on your topping of choice i guess ? Next thing you will know ford and holden will be doing it ?

Maybe i aught to investigate a free trade agreement with sirui.. you know 6 bags of oats for one anamorphic, sounds fairly reasonable ?

btw should anyone be unhappy with their serui anamorphic. You can box it back up, mark gift on it and ship it to me ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think of it much less like marketing and more like market research.  

There’s a principle in market research that you can ask someone if they would purchase something and get an answer, but it’s only if you ask the person to actually buy that you get their real answer.

Lots of people will tell you your idea is good, or that they would buy, to make you feel better, or they don’t like saying no to people, or they’re optimistic, or excited by the idea, etc but it’s not reality.

Why design a product, fit out a factory with tooling, manufacture a bunch of products, market the shit out of it, and only then discover that the people in the focus group who said they were excited to buy it were just being nice...  ?

These crowdfunding campaigns are more valuable to manufacturers in market research than they are in anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so sure about that. Crowdfunding drums up hype. It's just good business practice to capitalize on that. Don't think there's much more to it than that. That's the sorta thing Elon Musk is all about. Spending less on actual promotion and advertising... and just create hype and make people talk about it themselves. In Pokémon terms 'it's super effective!'. Also cutting out the middleman and the need for physical stores/showrooms. That's just where this is all heading imho.

The JBL project that just launched is already over goal and they only ship US/DE (where usually campaigns are run worldwide; that's also how you can guage demographics and markets to focus on if you decide to go retail). The Philips campaign reached 11000% its target goal (of course the bar set low on these campaigns on purpose, they know they're likely going to get enough sales to warrant production, but here again it sounds better if you're reaching 11000% over target (creating even more hype and articles being written about you) opposed to fully funded at 101%, which is only just making it).

Thing is. They already put in the market research + R&D. They can't afford to be publicly disgraced by flopping a crowdfunding campaign, that hurts more than it would gain. The products of these established companies are probably already production ready. They don't come out with a cardboard prototype and go like 'so... this is version 1.0, we'll make some more iterations as we continue to tweak the concept, let's embark on this journey together! We're looking forward to your support to make this idea a reality!'. They know what they've got and that it will be a banger... the question is just... will it be a small fire cracker or will it blow up like TNT. Crowdfunding can elevate its success for them with very little effort from their side. These sharks are just trying new waters to fish...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

But anyways...

Some more Tom Antos perhaps? New vid:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dammit cinegrain, now i'm really wanting one. I do think the term sharks might be a tad harsh but i reckon the analogy is spot on

looks like they have lessened the flaring somewhat and the bokeh is less cat eyed as well. i wouldn't say it was perfect, but it is an improvement and certainly no deal breaker for me. In the pond shot it does look like tom isn't too worried about a few spots of rain on his setup.

Cant do much till the new year after that i'll investigate some options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, Cinegain said:

My pledge was at the super early bird tier level, which is the same moniez as the secret perk for people who subscribed in advance (US$549). As I did not use the special link myself, I can give it to you to take one spot (shouldn't go public with the link tho, for the sake of the other early pre-launch subscribers who were not able to back just yet, but there are quite a few left) if that helps.

I am all in : ) How to comply it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Aw yeah! ?

 

I was half expecting that to happen, thought it may have taken a bit longer ? By the way @Tito Ferradans is yours a pre production model ?  i watched tom antos's  video again and i swear that the second one he received has smoother oval bokeh, not so cat eyed, i also thought that the flare were a little more mellow as well. If both you guys shoot at different apertures would that count for the bokeh differences or am i imagining things ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about the lens flair color. Tito showed that it's possible to select the flare and push its color into the greens in post. Would it be possible to push it into the warm part of the color spectrum without it falling apart? The lens looks nice for the price, apart from really strange lack of focus gearing. For a project I envision using it for, the aesthetic wouldn't work at all with blue flares, but orange/yellow, or even reddish flares would be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 12:41 AM, EphraimP said:

I have a question about the lens flair color. Tito showed that it's possible to select the flare and push its color into the greens in post. Would it be possible to push it into the warm part of the color spectrum without it falling apart? The lens looks nice for the price, apart from really strange lack of focus gearing. For a project I envision using it for, the aesthetic wouldn't work at all with blue flares, but orange/yellow, or even reddish flares would be nice. 

I'd suggest that it wouldn't work so well trying to make such a large change in hue. The problem is the same as greenscreening except that this example has extremely soft edges and getting the key right would be tricky and the edges would probably have strange halos.

Take a few screenshots of one of the videos above and try it.

I'd suggest grabbing a key, taking the key and blurring it vertically in one node, blurring it horizontally very heavily in the next node and then changing the colour based on that. Not sure if PP or FCPX will let you do that work flow, but it's pretty easy in Resolve Studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, leslie said:

I was half expecting that to happen, thought it may have taken a bit longer ? By the way @Tito Ferradans is yours a pre production model ?  i watched tom antos's  video again and i swear that the second one he received has smoother oval bokeh, not so cat eyed, i also thought that the flare were a little more mellow as well. If both you guys shoot at different apertures would that count for the bokeh differences or am i imagining things ? 

I waste no time! hahaha. Mine is the final version. Bokeh depends a lot on the focused distance, smoother the further away you focus and really cat-eyed on the sides when at min focus. There's a sweetspot somewhere in the middle. As for flare, many things can be influencing your perceived difference, from white balance to color correction.

 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, EphraimP said:

I have a question about the lens flair color. Tito showed that it's possible to select the flare and push its color into the greens in post. Would it be possible to push it into the warm part of the color spectrum without it falling apart? The lens looks nice for the price, apart from really strange lack of focus gearing. For a project I envision using it for, the aesthetic wouldn't work at all with blue flares, but orange/yellow, or even reddish flares would be nice. 

What @kye said. Pushing the hues all the way around is pretty extreme and bound to give you poor results. You can still try it. hahaha

 

On 12/26/2019 at 10:37 AM, Emanuel said:

Thanks @Tito Ferradans : -)

You're welcome! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...