Panasonic is developing a new TOF M43 sensor

newfoundmass

Posted on 43rumors:

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-is-developing-a-new-tof-micro-four-thirds-sensor-for-a-new-perfect-autofocus-system/

I got this from a reliable source:

Panasonic is working to on their ToF sensor from the Vivo Nex Dual phone to implement it on a new AF system in their MFT line!

But I am not sure when it will go live (gh6/7/8)

Time of Flight measures accurate distances to subjects, so tap on touchscreen for subject to focus on, get an almost instant ToF reading to distance, quickly move lens focus system to where it needs to be for that distance (no contrast “wobble”, no overshooting, pinpoint accurate video tracking focus, etc). In theory, it beats “hybrid” (ie PDAF + CDAF like in the Sony/Fuji) because it eliminates the need for any back and forward movements that are required by CDAF calculations! It also eliminates PDAF sensor banding that Sony cleverly hides (but Canon and Nikon haven’t mastered the cover up quite as well, it can be seen in shadow recovery). Panasonic will use MFT as testing and maturing grounds for new developments (ToF AF, organic sensors, etc), much like Olympus does for their MFT > medical devices ;)

This sounds like the holy grail of autofocus! No PDAF artifacts and superfast autofocus system!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And that's the only to bypass the lack of PDAF. And terribly accurately, at much higher speeds. I hope Panasonic incorporates it into the GH6 to begin with. Don't want another generation of slow and jumpy autofocus cameras for video.

The idea of M43 being the testing ground for these kinds of things is kinda exciting and confirms what I, and others, thought about Panasonic using the system to lead the way when it comes to features. 

For some Full Frame will always be king, but if they can keep M43 small and innovative my interest in the system will remain. Give me the benefits of the smaller sensor, please! 

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

They'll release it with the organic sensor ?

And quantum processor as well. Also as reported from my private source Panasonic working on a breakthough tech of some sort of new generation heatsink that gets minus 273 degrees warped directly from space. To keep quantum processor working and videographers heads cool.