Why Sony is not rushing with the A7S III

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah the A7s2 is only marginally better at high ISOs so there is really no reason someone would buy it with the A73 out.

Only reason I can think would be to match to an A7sii that said person might already own. The A7iii does have a different color science sooc. 

Just now, Mako Sports said:

Only reason I can think would be to match to an A7sii that said person might already own. The A7iii does have a different color science sooc. 

Yeah better color I would say. Auto focus is in a different league and of course the higher MP sensor is better for stills. I guess you may be able to find it cheaper than the A73

I really wish they abandon their postprocessing "tricks" and go back to no processing like they did with the A7sII. The image, especially using an external recorder, was so much better on the A7sII. Kinda sad what they went with the A7sIII which looks horrible above ISO1600 - not because of noise but static textures, ghosting and detail loss while the A7sII showed lots of detail up to ISO25600.

29 minutes ago, deezid said:

I really wish they abandon their postprocessing "tricks" and go back to no processing like they did with the A7sII. The image, especially using an external recorder, was so much better on the A7sII. Kinda sad what they went with the A7sIII which looks horrible above ISO1600 - not because of noise but static textures, ghosting and detail loss while the A7sII showed lots of detail up to ISO25600.

Yeah maybe we'll get that again with the A7s3. It's something a lot of people don't notice though and favor higher MP as a result.

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah maybe we'll get that again with the A7s3. It's something a lot of people don't notice though and favor higher MP as a result.

Max Yuryev noticed it in his first hands on review and was complaining about it - but didn't know it's the "new" temporal noise reduction causing the so called paint-brush effect. Right now the A7III and RIII have the same issue the GH4 has in low light lol.

At least the GH4 turns off noise reduction while recording externally...

4 minutes ago, deezid said:

Max Yuryev noticed it in his first hands on review and was complaining about it - but didn't know it's the "new" temporal noise reduction causing the so called paint-brush effect. Right now the A7III and RIII have the same issue the GH4 has in low light lol.

At least the GH4 turns off noise reduction while recording externally...

Yeah I remember that review. I've never found it too problematic as I usually shoot at base ISO. Can't be avoided with event work though. My last wedding I did a lot of shooing at 6400 iso on my XT3. I found the waxy skin issue was much better than my XT20 (no log recording).

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I remember that review. I've never found it too problematic as I usually shoot at base ISO. Can't be avoided with event work though. My last wedding I did a lot of shooing at 6400 iso on my XT3. I found the waxy skin issue was much better than my XT20 (no log recording).

ISO6400 on this camera is rough lol

Skin didn't have any texture even in great lighting using anything higher than ISO640 lol.
But then I'm working on 27 and 32" 4K screens.

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

XT3 or A73? ISO 640 is as low as the XT3 goes in log and HLG its 1000 iso.

Didn't try HLG on the camera, only Astia, Eterna and F-Log. For DR800 ISO640 was minimum. And in my tests ISO6400 was just horrible. Would rather have some grain than this.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

Didn't try HLG on the camera, only Astia, Eterna and F-Log. For DR800 ISO640 was minimum. And in my tests ISO6400 was just horrible. Would rather have some grain than this.

Interesting, I personally don't see much of a difference between 3200 iso and 640 iso in log. Its a bit nosier and there is definitely detail loss at 6400 and even more at 12,800. Maybe I just don't have an eye for this stuff. My monitor is also HD, so maybe that makes a difference. 

53 minutes ago, liork said:

Of course it makes a difference when you see a 8MP picture on a 2MP screen. Details and noise goes away.

True, though I am seeing skin detail on my HD screen after zooming in 300% so I imagine it would be more detailed on a 4k screen not less. Maybe its also more jarring if you have raw footage to compare it to. Guess I need to invest in a 4k monitor one of these days.

I'll link a google drive test. 

What strikes me about these numbers is how unimportant the A7s series is to the A7 line.

And lets face it, if Sony sticks with the smallest mirrorless FF body approach to the A7 (which is one of the attractions of the A7iii) then it is really going to struggle to be the market leader in video specs.

On the other hand if it comes out with a much bigger body for the A7s series, for more effective heat dissipation, it will be directly competing with its cinema line.

And to the extent it can say squeeze in 4k 60p recording why not make it a stand out feature of an A7iv?

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

And to the extent it can say squeeze in 4k 60p recording why not make it a stand out feature of an A7iv

My gut feeling says the differentiator isn't just resolution and frame rate this time.. they will add XLR ports. 

13 hours ago, deezid said:

I really wish they abandon their postprocessing "tricks" and go back to no processing like they did with the A7sII.

It's a bit odd to ask camera makers "don't process it" instead of natural "process it better". They gonna charge north of $3000, so they better put a modern CPU in there. I think if my smartphone's Snapdragon had access to the data integrity high end full frame sensors deliver, would surely make a much better output. 

The pent-up Canon R demand has cooled down and Sony's sales continue strongly. The FF mirrorless market grew substantially and one can assume that sales in units has not fallen dramatically for Sony.

As for a7S III, if they leave the mpx count at 12, that alone can decrease the load on the CPU dramatically and reduce overheating (and the body can remain the same size). But then there are a lot of features that simply cannot be missing to make it interesting like 60p, 10bit, maybe even the ND from FS5 instead of the mechanical shutter.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 4:32 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Guess I need to invest in a 4k monitor one of these days.

Not until you're delivering in 4K.

Seriously, as the owner of a 4K monitor the only uses for it are delivering in 4K or as a tool to reduce time spent on story and increase time spent pixel peeping.

I guess you could also argue that 4K monitor is useful to have a 1080 window with room for a GUI in your NLE, that's useful too.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Not until you're delivering in 4K.

Seriously, as the owner of a 4K monitor the only uses for it are delivering in 4K or as a tool to reduce time spent on story and increase time spent pixel peeping.

I guess you could also argue that 4K monitor is useful to have a 1080 window with room for a GUI in your NLE, that's useful too.

too late I got one?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The a7S mk2  successo r is here at last!

image.thumb.png.cb2fa0068c051fcf691edc4a5c9442b1.png

damnit I believed that!