Jump to content
Andrew Reid

EOSHD Opinion - The Sony A6400 is an absolute turkey

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah my a7s was the poster child for RS in both 1080p and 4K lol.

What?!it has no 4K, and it has 19.5 in APS-C mode and 30.5 in full frame.

Actually the NX1 has the same 7.9ms as the cropped P4K 1080p (official numbers) which this is exceptional for a cheap 4 years old camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What?!it has no 4K, and it has 19.5 in APS-C mode and 30.5 in full frame.

Actually the NX1 has the same 7.9ms as the cropped P4K 1080p (official numbers) which this is exceptional for a cheap 4 years old camera.

Maybe he meant the A7S2 as well. I mean they were good for the time. 

That number almost makes me want to buy an NX1, if only for the 16-50mm 🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Don't you own a Panasonic G80/85? I would say a whip pan might be even worse on it? Not many inexpensive cameras have very good RS unfortunately.

 

Well I've never said I'm satisfied with RS on my G80 but there's a spectrum and a6400 seems to be at the far end of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

One of the reasons I didn't purchase the NX1. Too bad they never came out with an NX2. Still better rolling shutter than the A6300😂

I feel (I say "feel" because I  never owned a NX1) that the rolling shutter wasn't the deal breaker that most people made it out to be. 

As rolling shutter is only truly terrible in a scene for some kinds of certain shots, so you'd shoot 4K most of the time then switch over to 1080 (for which the NX1 has some of the best rolling shutter performance on the planet!) for those specific shots which need it (perhaps a fight scene which is going to have heaps of crazy whip pans). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, leslie said:

it looks like you guys are wearing long sleeved shirts, not sure when you guys did this test but it dosen't look terribly hot where you are. if it didn't over heat for you thats great for nz and northern europe i guess. but i reckon the aussie outback sun  at the moment might prove more of a challenge. in saying that its safe to assume  pretty much all cameras and people would be subject to a bit of heat stress regardless at the moment .its just bloody hot out here

NZ is bloody hot at the moment!

And Sony has such a bad rep with overheating, I remember my Sony a5100 overheating after each gimbal take even during winter time at night!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I feel (I say "feel" because I  never owned a NX1) that the rolling shutter wasn't the deal breaker that most people made it out to be. 

As rolling shutter is only truly terrible in a scene for some kinds of certain shots, so you'd shoot 4K most of the time then switch over to 1080 (for which the NX1 has some of the best rolling shutter performance on the planet!) for those specific shots which need it (perhaps a fight scene which is going to have heaps of crazy whip pans). 

And the 1080p is heaps better than any Sony APS-C 1080p footage. Non crop also, etc 1080p is so good that I almost never shoot 4K anyway.

Sony has significantly worst RS, but sold/sell extremely well anyway. Everything is about marketing I guess.

NX1/NX500 were way ahead of their time, they just been surprassed actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

And the 1080p is heaps better than any Sony APS-C 1080p footage. Non crop also, etc 1080p is so good that I almost never shoot 4K anyway.

Sony has significantly worst RS, but sold/sell extremely well anyway. Everything is about marketing I guess.

NX1/NX500 were way ahead of their time, they just been surprassed actually.

I never liked Sony though. I just read the nx-1 rolling shutter in 1080p is 7ms, which is the lowest I've seen. Makes me reconsider the camera actually because I don't really need 4K. Every company should have a 16-50 f2-2.8 kit lens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 3:54 AM, Kisaha said:

Sony has significantly worst RS, but sold/sell extremely well anyway. Everything is about marketing I guess.

Maybe, or maybe people just don't care that much about bad rolling shutter... or just have learned to live with it.

Of all the things that really bother me about my a6500, rolling shutter is probably only like 6th or 7th on the list.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:36 AM, IronFilm said:

And Sony has such a bad rep with overheating, I remember my Sony a5100 overheating after each gimbal take even during winter time at night!

Yeah, the other day my son was trying to shoot with our a5100 indoors and at night and it is winter here, and it overheated in about 8 minutes. It's just NOT a good camera for video unless you rig it up with an external battery, a real fast memory card, AND those cold gel packs to keep it cool. And even after all that you are probably better off recording off the hdmi feed to an external recorder :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Maybe, or maybe people just don't care that much about bad rolling shutter... or just have learned to live with it.

Of all the things that really bother me about my a6500, rolling shutter is probably only like 6th or 7th on the list.

Yeah, the other day my son was trying to shoot with our a5100 indoors and at night and it is winter here, and it overheated in about 8 minutes. It's just NOT a good camera for video unless you rig it up with an external battery, a real fast memory card, AND those cold gel packs to keep it cool. And even after all that you are probably better off recording off the hdmi feed to an external recorder :(

Its such a tiny camera. Makes the sensor look huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew, I'm no Sony fanboy...or fanboy of any manufacturer.  Hell, I'd use a gas-powered camera with a crank start if it shot great footage.  (Self-noise may become an issue).  It is low-hanging fruit to nitpick the shortcoming of this camera.  It's easy to point out the fact that this is not an FS5 in an a6000 body. 

We need to think of this as an upgrade to the a6000 as opposed to a disappointing new offering from Sony.  The a6000 was and still is a great camera.  A compact and lightweight APSC cam that takes great pics and nice 1080p video. 

 

So what if I told you the a6000 now:

-shoots 4K 30P

-Has a mic jack

-Has a touch screen

-Has a vertical flip screen

-Has improved autofocus for stills and video

-It tracks really well

-Has better battery life

-Has a better/newer processor

-Shoots proper timelapse internally

-Has a "My Menu" 

-Higher rez viewfinder

-No record limit

-Plus so much more...

 

...I think we'd all think this was an excellent upgrade for which most of us would have no problem paying $300-$400 more.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...