Jump to content

X-T3 F-Log vs. HLG comparison


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fooling around with HLG. Adjusted curves using a waveform and added some saturation.  It definitely seems a bit cleaner then log. Skin tones looked good according to the vectorscopes.   

The Input color space is the camera color space : Rec.2020 (Scene) for F-log Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 for film simulations Rec.2020 ARIB STD-B67 for HLG  

Wow that looks nice. Just about a perfect exposure.

Posted Images

22 hours ago, androidlad said:

HLG was not designed to be an acquisition format, the curve is extremely non-linear and hard to grade manually.

Where did you get this information from? I'd be really interested in the specs for HLG to get a better understanding of the characteristics and how to grade it properly. Any white papers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisE said:

Where did you get this information from? I'd be really interested in the specs for HLG to get a better understanding of the characteristics and how to grade it properly. Any white papers?

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2100-2-201807-I!!PDF-E.pdf

As HLG is a relative standard just like BT.709, manufacturers can add their own customisation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done about a dozen separate HLG vs FLog tests here and HLG has not looked better in any of them.

Low light capture is significantly better with Flog, maybe a full stop more captured information. Flog has been cleaner and easier to work with by a huge factor. I will still aim that way unless an awesome HLG workflow comes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

I have done about a dozen separate HLG vs FLog tests here and HLG has not looked better in any of them.

Low light capture is significantly better with Flog, maybe a full stop more captured information. Flog has been cleaner and easier to work with by a huge factor. I will still aim that way unless an awesome HLG workflow comes out.

Please support your claims with empirical evidence - sample frames, exposure parameters etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 2:58 PM, androidlad said:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2100-2-201807-I!!PDF-E.pdf

As HLG is a relative standard just like BT.709, manufacturers can add their own customisation.

Thanks a lot, that's a start! But after a first look, that seems to be more about the color that curve that's being used to convert the raw data from the sensor to the 8bits in the final video file. Any more information?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chrisE said:

Thanks a lot, that's a start! But after a first look, that seems to be more about the color that curve that's being used to convert the raw data from the sensor to the 8bits in the final video file. Any more information?

Everything about HLG (and PQ) is in that whitepaper, it delineates both the OETF and EOTF that underpin HLG as a system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

is HLG 10 bit or no?

HLG can be either 10bit or 12bit per BT.2100 standard. X-T3 is BT.2100 compliant and can only record using HEVC codec when HLG mode is selected.

Since HLG is an open standard, Sony decided to deviate from the standard and used 8bit encoding, along with various HLG curves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, androidlad said:

HLG can be either 10bit or 12bit per BT.2100 standard. X-T3 is BT.2100 compliant and can only record using HEVC codec when HLG mode is selected.

Since HLG is an open standard, Sony decided to deviate from the standard and used 8bit encoding, along with various HLG curves.

Thanks! Also, I haven't posted samples yet because upon further testing my processing chain was wrong.

I still have no idea how to process or grade Fuji HLG footage

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Hi, are you using the same FLOG LUTs with this or are they too strong?

I used the offical Fuji FLog luts, and created some using LutCalc. For HLG I used the Color Space Transform node in Resolve, and tried out the HLG LUTs that came packaged with Resolve. Overall i found it much easier to get the result i wanted when using HLG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...