Alexa Mini vs C300 Mark II with internal reduction

Ed_David

I tested the c300 mark ii with noise reduction and odyssey 7q raw recording vs the alexa.

The results may shock you!

Testing the Alexa Alexa Mini vs Canon C300 Mark II in terms of sharpness via the Odyssey RAW to Pro Res, with desharpen in post as well as in camera codec with noise reduction set to minus 1.  This is a new feature in a firmware update.  You have to go into other settings and turn on and to minus 1 - you can't just leave off.

Graded with my chart2 lut - 
link to that and stills here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u3qmjg7iysvxlsf/AABk1BLbSY1Yy9JoDSYjo1Qva?dl=0

also stills are there to see better

please email me any questions or if you want the source files - I can get them to you on a sd card if you want.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Too bad it only records raw externally and too bad they crippled the c200. Maybe the next versions will be where its at. 

Realistically you don’t need RAW when the colors look that good. It does do  1080/12 bit internal. 

Gotta be one of the easiest cameras to get an amazing image out of with very little effort. 

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Realistically you don’t need RAW when the colors look that good. It does do  1080/12 bit internal. 

Gotta be one of the easiest cameras to get an amazing image out of with very little effort. 

You are forgetting white balance and extra dr of raw. I still feel the UMP image is closer then the c300 ii to the alexa. What are your thoughts Ed?

18 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

You are forgetting white balance and extra dr of raw. I still feel the UMP image is closer then the c300 ii to the alexa. What are your thoughts Ed?

the UMP, while much improved with BRAW, still has magenta color shifts in the highlights that make the dynamic range not as strong.  Also UMP doesn't seem to have a OLPF in it - I haven't tried this out: http://rawlite.com/olpf-for-blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-4-6k/

but I think that would make the camera more similar to the alexa.

Still at this point (and I am redoing the test) - the c300 mark ii RAW to pro res is the best way to get the sharpness an alexa has.  even with the new Noise reduction set to minus 1, the image is still too soft for me to be able to be cut without anyone noticing.

I love the UMP, but I sold it for the c300 just cause it was too sharp.  showed every pore, even with diffusion

On 12/15/2018 at 10:31 AM, zerocool22 said:

Did you shoot c300 ii vs c300 ii external recording test? Based on dr, color, sharpness, easy to colorgrade?

Yeah reckon alexa mini is prob still 5 years away for buying it under 10k.

i did alexa mini, c300 raw to pro res hq 4k and c300 internal with noise reduction set to minus 1 (new firmware setting)

yea but you can get an alexa classic for 20k - even though it's a useless heavy brick that is power hungry and can't do more than 1080p

3 hours ago, Ed_David said:

i did alexa mini, c300 raw to pro res hq 4k and c300 internal with noise reduction set to minus 1 (new firmware setting)

yea but you can get an alexa classic for 20k - even though it's a useless heavy brick that is power hungry and can't do more than 1080p

Did you test your C200 vs your C300 II? I have only seen older tests without the new firmware upgrade. Offcourse the c200 is codec wise crippled. But what are your thoughts about these 2 camera's. The c200 is newer and cheaper, but the C300 ii has more codec options. But the image from the C200 doesnt seem to look worse then the c300 ii (not sure if I can judge sharpness/colours/image of these youtube video's)

On 12/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, zerocool22 said:

Did you test your C200 vs your C300 II? I have only seen older tests without the new firmware upgrade. Offcourse the c200 is codec wise crippled. But what are your thoughts about these 2 camera's. The c200 is newer and cheaper, but the C300 ii has more codec options. But the image from the C200 doesnt seem to look worse then the c300 ii (not sure if I can judge sharpness/colours/image of these youtube video's)

The C300 Mark II image is certainly superior if you're comparing the C200's 8bit codec vs anything higher on the C300 Mark II. Colour graduation, noise, sharpness are all noticeably better from the C300 Mark II.

I'd be curious how RawLite holds up in these tests though, I know Ed did a few test videos with it and I'd be interested in why it couldn't get close to the Alexa image.

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

The C300 Mark II image is certainly superior if you're comparing the C200's 8bit codec vs anything higher on the C300 Mark II. Colour graduation, noise, sharpness are all noticeably better from the C300 Mark II.

I'd be curious how RawLite holds up in these tests though, I know Ed did a few test videos with it and I'd be interested in why it couldn't get close to the Alexa image.

Well I have seen only this test so far. But not sure what to think of it.