Jump to content
Andrew Reid

I WILL be getting a Fuji X-T3!

Recommended Posts

From what I have found and studied grading my XT3 footage, the Fuji LUTS seem to overstretch and burn the footage.

My workflow is as follows -(making a video on this soon, as my video I shot in Malibu has gotten many PM's about how I colored it)

  • Node 1. - White Balance tweaks and then I set it to Monochrome
  • Node 2 - Lift, Gamma, Gain, or Curves to get the image you want -
  • Node 3 - CST - Rec2020-Rec709
  • Go back to Node1 and kill the monochrome and group the 3 nodes as one compound node.
  • Node 4- CST - Rec709, Rec709 - Arri Alexa, LogC- do NOT select Tone Mapping
  • Node 5 - use the Alexa-709 LUT from either LUTCalc or the one that comes with Resolve
  • Node 6 and onward - slight rebalance is needed after the Alexa conversion, Sat, MD, slight curves.
  • Compound that into a second compound node.

This makes excellent color and most importantly, a gorgeous highlight roll-off. I have built this into a PowerGrade if anyone wants it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, ErisC said:

Hi all, do you know why the h.265(HEVC) is darker than h.264 on the X-T3? In the Display / Viewfinder of the camera are the same, but on the monitor of my Mac I see the h.265 darker, more contrasted than h.264

The files themselves are the same. The difference you are seeing is because of the Mac QuickTime gamma/colour shift. Put them in Premiere Pro and compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DanielVranic said:

From what I have found and studied grading my XT3 footage, the Fuji LUTS seem to overstretch and burn the footage.

My workflow is as follows -(making a video on this soon, as my video I shot in Malibu has gotten many PM's about how I colored it)

  • Node 1. - White Balance tweaks and then I set it to Monochrome
  • Node 2 - Lift, Gamma, Gain, or Curves to get the image you want -
  • Node 3 - CST - Rec2020-Rec709
  • Go back to Node1 and kill the monochrome and group the 3 nodes as one compound node.
  • Node 4- CST - Rec709, Rec709 - Arri Alexa, LogC- do NOT select Tone Mapping
  • Node 5 - use the Alexa-709 LUT from either LUTCalc or the one that comes with Resolve
  • Node 6 and onward - slight rebalance is needed after the Alexa conversion, Sat, MD, slight curves.
  • Compound that into a second compound node.

This makes excellent color and most importantly, a gorgeous highlight roll-off. I have built this into a PowerGrade if anyone wants it. 

isn't it better to switch node 2 and 3 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

The files themselves are the same. The difference you are seeing is because of the Mac QuickTime gamma/colour shift. Put them in Premiere Pro and compare.

Thanks for the reply, I don't use Premiere Pro, I use Davinci Resolve and  the h.265(HEVC) is much darker, there is a solution on Mac?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Try setting both clips to full range in Resolve. Do they show a difference?

Done, but nothing happened, I do not have a windows computer to see if it's just a Mac problem with h.265(HEVC), in the Display / Viewfinder of the camera I see more like h.264 than the h.265 that once imported on the mac is much darker and contrasted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ErisC said:

Done, but nothing happened, I do not have a windows computer to see if it's just a Mac problem with h.265(HEVC), in the Display / Viewfinder of the camera I see more like h.264 than the h.265 that once imported on the mac is much darker and contrasted

Try play both files with VLC and/or MPV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ErisC said:

I wrote to fujifilm to add 2.35:1 framing guideline, do you too guys, if we are many maybe they add it with a software update: https://contact.fujifilm.com/cgi-bin/mail/form.cgi/contact_tokyo_headquarters

fujifilm 2 35 1 guides.jpg

Great! I’ve sent many feature requests and bug reports, using many names and email addresses 😝 But it’s better to contact your Fuji regional websites, Tokyo headquarter seems to only respond to messages written in Japanese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

Great! I’ve sent many feature requests and bug reports, using many names and email addresses 😝 But it’s better to contact your Fuji regional websites, Tokyo headquarter seems to only respond to messages written in Japanese.

I wrote in English to the Japan office last week with a request and they answered me with a specific reply (they did actually read my email) within a few days. So it isn't hopeless.

I asked if they could implement a setting for max ISO in video mode, or at least show the ISO being used, instead of just "ISO AUTO".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to invest in a new camera ecosystem for work, and am torn between a GH5 or an XT3 as a starting point. 

I'll be using the camera to take promotional stills as well as create videos, upgrading from a Canon 650D which I inherited. However, I'm also looking at the camera being able to both record and live stream events and committee meetings, some running two to three hours in length.

Could I use a Ninja Atomos to extend the XT3 beyond the 30 minute recording limitation?

Would that also get round the problem with the XT3 cutting out at about 1hr20 due to overheating when recording 4K?

Can I connect a continuous power source so as to record past the 45 minute battery life?

During committees, will I be able to use the app to control the camera and record in anything beyond 720p?

The GH5 may look like the better option, but I do like the XT3's superior AF and the fact that video footage looks so good straight out of camera without the need for a lot of work in post.

Desk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...