Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, josdr said:

Hello and good morning. I can only presume that the medium of the internet loses some of the intended message between us. So let me start from the bottom. I am not bashing macs, I have been using them for almost two decades. Nevertheless they have some glaring shortcomings when it comes down to video processing, in the case of the mini the absence of a dedicated gpu, which for such an extensive product should have been there.

You are of course correct about the need for huge external ssd's and a raid filesystem to keep everything in order

As far as Premiere and Resolve are concerned when used in my mac mini configuration (resolve being better in that regard) , footage shot at h265 All-Intra 400mbps stutters and the timeline is not smooth. As for exporting said footage, it does take a lot of time.Granted,  Premiere does need to update its codebase but it has certain characteristics when sharing projects between team members and organising lots of footage that other editing software lacks.  I like resolve but why  the monitoring screen cannot  detach and be used separately in another monitor is astonishing. I work with a mac mini at home and with an Asus Rog and a pc rig (both with ge-force cards at work). If you can afford it I would suggest that you get an external gpu case and a compatible gpu to use with your mac. The difference will be spectacular. Have a nice day! :)

Excellent. Thank you.

19 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Since 16.1 it's possible in the studio version. It's under Workspace -> Video Clean Feed.

@@@@@@@@@@@  Thank you for that!!!! I remember blackmagic throwing up  a stink for not making this available. Just found it. :)

18 hours ago, Jay60p said:

Excellent. Thank you.

You are welcome. Thank you for the exchanging of views.

1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

Even though rumors said Classic Neg is coming to the X-T3 via fw update, a Fujifilm manager could not confirm that:
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-manager-about-full-frame-vs-aps-c-firmware-updates-for-x-t3-dslr-vs-mirrorless-and-talking-fujifilm-x-h2-is-like/

What is special about classic neg?

10 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

It's another film simulation, you either love it or not, nothing really special about it from a video shooter's perspective.

Not to be disagreeable but, I'm actually looking forward to shooting creative pieces with different film sims. Something about committing to a look BEFORE rather than the post-processing hell that comes with AFTER that is appealing to me... I think the amount of things I've had to do recently to fix-it-in-post because we liked "options" or were "indecisive" (read: unprepared) might be influencing that.

I also really liked Classic Negative when I applied it in Capture One Pro to some portrait studio work -a greener finish compared to Classic Chrome. I *hope* it comes to the X-T3...

2 minutes ago, jpleong said:

Not to be disagreeable but, I'm actually looking forward to shooting creative pieces with different film sims. Something about committing to a look BEFORE rather than the post-processing hell that comes with AFTER that is appealing to me... I think the amount of things I've had to do recently to fix-it-in-post because we liked "options" or were "indecisive" (read: unprepared) might be influencing that.

I also really liked Classic Negative when I applied it in Capture One Pro to some portrait studio work -a greener finish compared to Classic Chrome. I *hope* it comes to the X-T3...

I think I'll buy the X-T4 so I'll add Classic Neg to the Colorizer X-T3 F-Log LUT Pack, IF Fuji didn't change F-Log implementation again. But I hope it comes to the X-T3 as well, I'd like to have it on photos straight out of cam.

1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

I think I'll buy the X-T4 so I'll add Classic Neg to the Colorizer X-T3 F-Log LUT Pack, IF Fuji didn't change F-Log implementation again. But I hope it comes to the X-T3 as well, I'd like to have it on photos straight out of cam.

That would be fabulous!

10 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Does anyone know if there's a way to check which profile (Film Sim) a shot was using? With BMD cameras, my metadata reading app thing tells me whether I was shooting in FILM or VIDEO or EXTENDED VIDEO - but it doesn't seem to get that kind of info from the Fuji...

Try exiftool. I believe that there's a FilmMode tag that has the info you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a test comparing the XT3 RAW image files to the internal H254 4k files. I set sharpening on -4 and NR on -4. The RAW files were converted to JPEG in Lightroom with sharpening and NR off. 

I was looking at comparisons between the Pocket 4k and the Fuji and was surprised how much sharper the Fuji looked. The test was really to see if there was any internal sharpening going on inside the camera with sharpening at -4. The RAW image is lower contrast for some reason, both shot in eterna. 

Pictures zoomed 250% 

Top RAW bottom 4k H264

xgmWkdA.jpg

Nit9ORt.jpg