EOS R official video specs discussion

Andrew Reid

I really like Caleb overall but it really did feel like he went out of his way to put a positive spin on a camera that pretty much everyone that wasn't flown to Hawaii agrees is a big let down. 

It's like, if you took out the excuses, he laid out every negative thing about the camera, but the other 12 minutes of the video felt like excuses / positive spin. Part of that is Caleb being Caleb, in that he tends to try to avoid being negative and tends to look at the glass half full instead of it being half empty. And when he's talking about a $50 LED light or something, he's not wrong to because for some people that $50 light is a perfect balance between quality and price for someone I'm sure. But once you start getting into the big ticket items, like a camera? I want it straight. No sugar coating. Because $2300 + adapter or lens is a very large investment for most of us. I think sometimes these reviewers forget that, especially when they're buying / selling / renting / getting review copies all the time for these cameras to review / feature on their channels. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My favorite part of the eos r drama was when the northrups were drunk & said that the camera will be their new vlogging camera because its perfect. Then he uses a crappy lexar sd card and loses some of his footage and now its the worst camera in the world. Yet, their current vlog camera only has 1 slot and much worse 1080p, dynamic range etc. Btw, I really like how they over expose the crap out of their footage on everything and make any camera look terrible. I once trusted a review from them years ago on the 2x teleconverter, took their word on it and it no joke took away half the resolution or more while using it. I just sent it back and bought a bigger lens. Jokers. 

I do think some of the commentary on this camera is 'wrong'. There is a consensus for instance that this camera is a 'disappointment'. I dont think so. I think the camera is entirely 'consistent' with about the last 10 ILCs that Canon has released. In other words if you believed/hoped that the Canon EOS-R would come with uncropped 4k you really havent been paying attention or are delusional. If you really think that Canon are going to 'nail it' with their 'pro' release again you are heroically optimistic. Canon ILCs have consistently been under-specced and overpriced v the competition for quite a while now. Their tech (particularly sensor tech) is well behind the competition.

So I dont really have a problem with those reviewers that take a half full v half empty approach to their reviews. A lot of people are pretty much locked into the Canon ecosystem through their lenses and accessories or think that off-spec sheet advantages of Canon make up for their on-sheet shortfalls.

Where I think the EOS-R is a particularly hard sell is that it is a 'new mount'. And while I think it is easy to justify in investing in your 'existing' mount despite its deficiencies - it seems a bit much to double down with their new mount (when you could simply choose a different new mount) knowing with a high degree of certainty that the cameras will be under-specced and overpriced until such time as Canon abandons its legacy in-house sensor operations.

• Super Members

I still don't see why people hate the EOS-R and Nikon Z6. Like all cameras they offer things that no other camera does. So if one value those things it's a good buy.

And like all cameras there are deal breakers. So if those will be too much of an issue it's a good bye.

And I love how dual card slots is now the new 4K :) All over the internet people and reviewers are actually claiming that 95% of all the cameras ever used through history where in fact unusable. Who knew, lol.

It's just like when people say "it has 4K" like its some instant stamp of approval.

7 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

And I love how dual card slots is now the new 4K :) All over the internet people and reviewers are actually claiming that 95% of all the cameras ever used through history where in fact unusable. Who knew, lol.

It's just like when people say "it has 4K" like its some instant stamp of approval.

O get over yourself!

It's called a differentiator.

It's like airbags in a car, at one time it was a gimmick, and 99.9% of people will never need them, but now it's generally considered a negative if a car doesn't have it.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Dan Sherman said:

O get over yourself!

Ok now I have changed my mind. I'm with you. 95% of all cameras (that's counting extremely low btw) is now unusable.  I have seen the light at the end of the marketing hype tunnel. First order of business, trashing my Panasonic and my Smartphone, one card slot = unusable.

• Super Members

I dont think anyone is saying that dual card slots isnt a nice feature. So is 4K. But none of them is an end all feature for every type of shooter.
Take for instance the Sony A7s. If someone really wants a lowlight monster in that price range they might be willing to accept it just having one. Calling it unusable is just silly.