Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless talk hots up

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

EOS R is already overtaking A7III in sales on BH even though it hasnt been released yet

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/9811/N/4288586282

One thing to not about these sales numbers is that they are always misleading...

I guess saying this mean that I can easily get attacked from both sides, but I don't understand why there can't be any 'balanced' opinions about this camera. It is either very enthusiastic, or just bashing and more bashing (mainly from Sony users who wouldn't even consider it anyway).

It is what it is, a first generation product with issues both in terms of handling (while the grip looks good, they really didn't need to try and reinvent the wheel) and also its autofocus, for some reason, it just doesn't seem to feel as sorted out as the earlier, less advanced implementations (with much less given AF points/areas), hopefully a newer firmware will help. The crop is not great but workable, C-Log is really great to have, codecs are a lot more friendly (option for Both low and high bitrates, only Panasonic does that), 10-bit out (to annoy C200 users) rolling shutter still not great.

Single card slot.

I do not like how the adapted EF lenses work on this camera in AF-S mode. The aperture always opens up and temporarily brightens the image and slows down the AF. I don't think it is the way it used to work on older cameras but it is what they use with the RF lenses and they didn't change it back to EF. So 100% working well zero limitations may be a little misleading.

On the other hand, it is integrated into their system rather well, the platform looks great (the RF 24-105 looks a lot sharper than the EF version II) it does have things that are sorted (quality of the EVF and the tilting touchscreen with the usual interface) and it does deliver the image quality expected for its price (as a Canon product of course, that should be added) both in terms of photo and video in a smaller package.
Unfortunately, I don't expect its price to drop anywhere near like the 6D II. But, (despite what the internet says) it will be able to generate images that are at least equal to the 5D IV, so where would they price a camera like that anyway.

A simplified, more entry level model, without that experimental touch bar and with the good old 6D II sensor with the newer processor and some new features (decent 1080p please) would suit just as many people as this one.

I would expect it to sell better than the A7iii for a little while.

The A7iii is already in peoples hands and the Canon is going to sell to the Canon hold outs who didn't want Sony.

Once that group has mostly got theirs, then it will remain to be seen which sells better.      I hope they BOTH sell well enough for the companies to keep going.

• Super Members

This had a lot of interesting info and no drama. There clearly is a lot of interesting things under the hood that isn't printed in large font, gold letters on the box.

BTW, I just hit me this morning while watching what a big deal the drop in ND will be for me. Ive had variable-ND adapters before for my Samsung NX1, NX500 and Sony A7sii. So I always thought, "yeah thats nice". 

But the more I think about being able to drop it in or pulling it out when going from dark to light without removing the lens.. thats more than nice. The difference between the olders ND adapters and built in like on my LS300 was that I could quickly remove it completely on the later.

Haven't checked the price on that adapter yet, I suspect its not gonna be in the Fotodiox territory :)

• Super Members

I couldn't resist when I started doing hybrid gigs with the 6Dmkii and thought it was excellent accept for a couple of minor tweaks. All of which the R fixes.

At the same time a store here had a deal where they would give the same amount in store credit for my 6D as I paid for it brand new. And an additional 15% off on all trade deals... That sealed the deal.

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

BTW, I just hit me this morning while watching what a big deal the drop in ND will be for me. Ive had variable-ND adapters before for my Samsung NX1, NX500 and Sony A7sii. So I always thought, "yeah thats nice". 

But the more I think about being able to drop it in or pulling it out when going from dark to light without removing the lens.. thats more than nice. The difference between the olders ND adapters and built in like on my LS300 was that I could quickly remove it completely on the later.

Haven't checked the price on that adapter yet, I suspect its not gonna be in the Fotodiox territory :)

There is no better way of saying this, it costs 450 Euros (and the circular polarizer is an optional add-on as well as a clear drop-in filter in case you don't want to change the whole adapter when not using any ND)

2 hours ago, ade towell said:

Has there been any testing of the rolling shutter in hd, it's awful in 4k even with the crop? Also if the hd is sharp enough to cut with c100, the usual Canon dslr hd is soft and mushy. Am trying to like this camera despite its limitations and price

The C100 produces a much sharper (nicer) HD image, a downsampled 4k from this camera is more in line with what that looks like (but worse rolling shutter) but the internal codec is much better than the C100. The rolling shutter is much better in HD.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, Django said:

Well it's nice to hear you say some positive things about Canon Andrew ?

I do feel like Canon catches a lot of flack. Justifiably so in many aspects, but they do nail certain things.

A little concerned about the "cheap" feel. I was under the impression it was "1DX build quality". How would you consider so compared to A73/XT3/Z etc?

Also FWIW i do shoot 2K/4K. Do got the luxury of renting equipment when budget allows. But hear this, just yesterday i was comparing footage shot in 4K on my XT2 to 1080p footage shot on my C100 externally to ProRes 4:2:2 (upscaled) on my new 4K OLED TV.. and the C100 footage looked vasty superior to my eyes. Kind of defies logic i know, and i'll have to do more serious tests but codecs shouldn't be under-estimated me thinks..

Seems hard to believe. Could you post example photos?

14 minutes ago, padam said:

There is no better way of saying this, it costs 450 Euros (and the circular polarizer is an optional add-on as well as a clear drop-in filter in case you don't want to change the whole adapter when not using any ND).

That’s a sweet mark-up. ?

16 minutes ago, jonpais said:

That’s a sweet mark-up. ?

Yes, of course, but it is also the first one that actually works well. The Fotodiox ones are money down the drain, the Aputure Vari-ND is probably not quite as good, costs more and way more fiddly to use.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's £400 including the variable ND at cvp. $400 at B&H.

Doesn't seem crazy when compared to highend variable NDs

It is, if you consider how much glass is actually in there. And it is still recommended to get the clear filter as well.

But again, it is a bit more than just that, the US price seems a little more reasonable, so it is definitely something to source from the grey market, if it will be available.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, padam said:

There is no better way of saying this, it costs 450 Euros (and the circular polarizer is an optional add-on as well as a clear drop-in filter in case you don't want to change the whole adapter when not using any ND)

Here its a bit less and the cover for when not using it is included.

• Super Members

Correct, Trying to adapt R lenses to an R mount or think there would be room in a mirrorless lens like Sony-E, MFT or Canon-R would be stupid.

The adapter is for EF lenses which is the most sold lens type in history as well as the most suitable between the two for video (which is when variable NDs are commonly used, for stills most will want fixed NDs.)