Panasonic camera hack, with 10bit 4444, The Digital Super 8 Bolex

PannySVHS

On 8/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, tktagmedia said:

That'd be me... sorry, I need a second one for a project that I'm prepping to shoot.  >.>

Gee, you greedy lover of beautiful CCD RAW image, congrats! Still, two of em! Well, great!:) Keep us posted and show us what a beautiful setup and image you got.

Maybe you could sell one of them to us for a reengineering project and  @BTM_Pix could team up with Bob Davis (http://bobdavis321.blogspot.com/2019/04/panasonic-dvx100-video-camera-repair.html) for a revival of the beautiful 3 sensor CCD, RAW Super8 cinema camera, with beautiful Leica zoom lens and legendary body and the most beautiful eyecup!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
20 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Maybe you could sell one of them to us for a reengineering project and  @BTM_Pix could team up with Bob Davis (http://bobdavis321.blogspot.com/2019/04/panasonic-dvx100-video-camera-repair.html) for a revival of the beautiful 3 sensor CCD, RAW Super8 cinema camera, with beautiful Leica zoom lens and legendary body and the most beautiful eyecup!

You are very liberal with my time mate ;) 

On 8/8/2019 at 4:32 AM, IronFilm said:

I look at that and it boggles my mind as to why anyone would want a DVX100 in 2019! For anything but sentimental reasons / curiosity / shits & giggles

My friend, it took you one year after I started this beautiful thread to ask me that question. :) I love the idea of 3ccd 10bit raw with a beautiful stabilized zoom lens and the classic ergos of this camera. So, cannot wait to see what shortfilms @tktagmedia is gonna shoot with it. I already loved the SD DV cam DX1 from Panny, 3 ccd beauty in colors but interlaced and DV compression. So call me anyone.:)

On 8/8/2019 at 4:46 AM, Cinegain said:

I thought it was just me, but indeed.

No, Cine, you and me are already two, if I may suggest, that´s what you are talking about.:)

12 hours ago, tktagmedia said:

Quick question in regards to 24PA output rendering: should I preserve the 29.97 fps frame rate or is it now safe for me to render out to a proper 23.976 fps file?

the dvx is fully capable of 24p output. Never had one, but that´s what this cam was famous for back then. David Lynch shot Inland Empire with it I think. Now, render that beautiful footage of yours, please.:) You got the only legit digital super8 camera in your hands!

I actually was in support of IronFilm there. ? I mean... sure I still have my good ol' GH2 for nostalgia's sake.

And there's something magical about that Sony PMW-F3 that I actually would not mind taking for a spin once...

But... to jump through all those hoops and make all that effort... for what I think is not particularly mind-blowing quality... energy spent VS reward, I don't necessarily see.

Though... that's highly subjective of course. And even if agreeing on image quality being so-so, which could work for a project you need a Lo-Fi look for I suppose, it can just be a fun hobby for the curious mind. Guess it's more productive and interesting than collecting lawn gnomes. ?

There's this fella doing videos on old audio tech, in a way it's a sort of time capsule or a museum visit, having such videos of old tech online for everyone to see and educate themselves and realize how far we actually have come. Here's Techmoan's channel should you feel interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan/videos . Guess it's a good thing that there are some people that still care and keep these things from being forgotten entirely. Though, personally, I'll stick to older lenses, not so much the cameras. ;)

On 8/8/2019 at 4:32 AM, IronFilm said:

I look at that and it boggles my mind as to why anyone would want a DVX100 in 2019! For anything but sentimental reasons / curiosity / shits & giggles

Just coming from the 444 F3 hack thread:) See the similarities, my friend? Another camera I am keen on holding in my hands. Vintage lovers, vintage vine, vintage cameras, vintage film. It would be THE perfect digital super8 camera! Would love to have one and film with it! You must feel me as a camera lover! I mean you are the greatest supporter of the beautiful F3 after all. Now, that 300USD in the auction you posted in another thread, insane! Too bad as European they make as pay custom fee and tax as it would be a brand new item somehow, so might double the price.

@tktagmedia Congratulations again and good luck with your Andromeda beauty! Did you get it to work rather flawlessly? Looking forward to seeing some footage and pictures of your setup. You wrote, you have two of them now? You lucky!:) Are both of them working?

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Just coming from the 444 F3 hack thread:) See the similarities, my friend? Another camera I am keen on holding in my hands. Vintage lovers, vintage vine, vintage cameras, vintage film. It would be THE perfect digital super8 camera! Would love to have one and film with it! You must feel me as a camera lover! I mean you are the greatest supporter of the beautiful F3 after all. Now, that 300USD in the auction you posted in another thread, insane! Too bad as European they make as pay custom fee and tax as it would be a brand new item somehow, so might double the price.

Ah but the F3 doesn't need any hack. 

And you're getting:
Great low light. 
Timecode / SDI / NDs
1080 resolution
Super 35mm resolution. 

I think if the DVX100 only missed out on one or two of those factors then perhaps I could still see the appeal of the DVX100, but at the moment it just seems too outdated compared to the competition (such as an F3.... of even FS100/FS700, or heck an AF100 also from Panasonic)

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 3:32 AM, IronFilm said:

lots of people use them for skating for some reason, mainly becasue they're too cheap for hvx200 hmc150 etc. 

same with the sony vx and pd cameras. it's a thing for some reason.

been looking for a dvx but i'm broke as all hell lol, if i could find a modded one that'd still be amazing though

2 hours ago, akaikitty said:

lots of people use them for skating for some reason, mainly becasue they're too cheap for hvx200 hmc150 etc. 

same with the sony vx and pd cameras. it's a thing for some reason.

been looking for a dvx but i'm broke as all hell lol, if i could find a modded one that'd still be amazing though

I know quite a few who still shoot VX1000/2000/2100 but they are dwindling as well. I know only one person who has a HVX200 and an Extreme Fish personally (although many US skate and Snow movies are shot with this combo).

I don't know anyone who still shoots with a DVX100 (at least not here in AUS/Poland). Neither anyone with a PD cam.

Honestly I think VX is about the last dwindling "standard" if you could call it that, but it's also getting close to done, even the die hards are switching out to other things as the tech is getting harder and harder to repair and keep functional and also many people/skaters don't see the point in spending all that time on a project to be hardly able to make out a trick. I'd say the only thing still relevant and perhaps making more of a resurgence to a degree is Super 8 and 16mm film (for the richer budget).

VX is a thing because it was the first camera to come with a legit fisheye (Century MK1, AKA "deathlens", which was coined after the death-star in star wars haha). So many iconic skate movies were shot on that camera, so it became a standard and then at some point also nostalgia.

2 hours ago, tweak said:

VX is a thing because it was the first camera to come with a legit fisheye (Century MK1, AKA "deathlens", which was coined after the death-star in star wars haha). So many iconic skate movies were shot on that camera, so it became a standard and then at some point also nostalgia.

Yeah, but the audio from the vx and soft desaturated highlights still compete with what is available now. It's just such a good all in one package. I also think that skateboarding undeniably looks better in 4:3. 

2 hours ago, tweak said:

I'd say the only thing still relevant and perhaps making more of a resurgence to a degree is Super 8 and 16mm film (for the richer budget).

Agreed. All of the hip ad agencies are all shooting 16 and 35. The amount of labs and the price and demand for cameras really reflects this as well. A bit of nostalgia and I think the resolution battle has slowed down, as the search for better looking texture and color increases.