Jump to content
BTM_Pix

What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using ? (POLL)

What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using?  

41 members have voted

  1. 1. What Type Of External Audio Recorder Are You Using?

    • Zoom H2n
      2
    • Zoom H4n/Pro
      7
    • Zoom H5
      5
    • Zoom H6
      4
    • Zoom F4/F8 (would require a more substantial hack so no promises)
      3
    • Sound Devices MixPre-3/6
      3
    • Roland R88
      0
    • Other (please specify)
      21


Recommended Posts

I'm adding sync record to my hardware controller(s) so that when you press Record/Stop it will simultaneously start and stop both the camera and the external audio recorder so that you

A) Don't have to do it yourself

B) Have better matched files to make post sync easier (i.e. no bunches of 30 second video clips with only 1 long audio clip because you left it running)

and, of course,

C) So in the excitement of putting the camera in record you don't actually end up forgetting to put the audio into record ;) .

If you have any of the Tascam recorders that can be controlled with their RC10 wired remote then you are covered as I've just finished incorporating that already. For everything else, I'm just trying to gauge the popularity of them so I can prioritise them accordingly.

At the moment, I'm just looking at ones that have a wired control input (tenuous but doable for SoundDevices and Roland) but IR isn't totally out of the question. If you have a few recorders then feel free to select them all.

Thanks in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

When I need to I use either a Tascam DR40 or mount this on top of a GX80 since it doesn't have mic input. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349307-REG/saramonic_sr_vrm1_compact_liner_pcm_recorder.html

It's like the Tascam DR10X but with phantom power...  I still don't understand why Tascam didn't have it on their recorder. I would have bought that one if it had 48v. There's nothing else this size on the market with it though, and it's perfect for mounting on a camera.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have had one of these for years. I have always liked the idea if being able to hang it off the bottom of the camera. And it is pretty small in reality for all the stuff it has in and on it..

http://tascam.com/product/dr-60d/

That uses the RC10 remote so you are in luck and I can let you sync record/stop with your Pocket 2 when you get it.

Not that us old fellas would ever need such a safety measure as we'd never forget to put the audio recorder into record would we <cough> ;)

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

When I need to I use either a Tascam DR40 or mount this on top of a GX80 since it doesn't have mic input. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349307-REG/saramonic_sr_vrm1_compact_liner_pcm_recorder.html

It's like the Tascam DR10X but with phantom power...  I still don't understand why Tascam didn't have it on their recorder. I would have bought that one if it had 48v. There's nothing else this size on the market with it though, and it's perfect for mounting on a camera.

 

Yep, that uses RC10 as well so it can be synced to the GX80 recording.

The Saramonic is a maybe as something could be done via its headphone splitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That uses the RC10 remote so you are in luck and I can let you sync record/stop with your Pocket 2 when you get it.

Cool, but why? If the device is close enough to be plugged into the camera, why not just plug the mic directly into the Pocket 2? 

Unless you're using 2 xlr mics, but then you can just go from this device into the pockets 3.5mm socket and record audio internal and bypass the syncing process all together. This would also save having drain the Pocket battery on phantom power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That uses the RC10 remote so you are in luck and I can let you sync record/stop with your Pocket 2 when you get it.

Not that us old fellas would ever need such a safety measure as we'd never forget to put the audio recorder into record would we <cough> ;)

Yeah the old get in a hurry trick.  :grimace:  I am probably not going to the newer version, the DR70, because of my age I need physical controls not menu diving. Too old to see that on a dingy screen in ultra fine print!  I may move up to the DR60 mk II maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Cool, but why? If the device is close enough to be plugged into the camera, why not just plug the mic directly into the Pocket 2? 

Unless you're using 2 xlr mics, but then you can just go from this device into the pockets 3.5mm socket and record audio internal and bypass the syncing process all together. This would also save having drain the Pocket battery on phantom power.

Quality of the mic pre-amps, more channels, dual level recording, compressors and all the other reasons you'd use an external recorder?

The control box is attached to the recorder and speaks to the camera wirelessly (wifi on Panasonics and Bluetooth on the Pocket 2) so keeps you cable free if you have a dedicated sound recordist or the camera is on a gimbal and you want to keep the recorder off it.

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah the old get in a hurry trick.  :grimace: I am probably not going to the newer version, the DR70, because of my age I need physical controls not menu diving. Too old to see that on a dingy screen in ultra fine print!

Yeah, the DR70 could do with a grown ups mode where phantom power can be switched on without it reacting like you want to put a toaster in the bathtub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently Zoom F4, within the year I will upgrade to either the new Zoom F8n or one of the 633/Maxx secondhand (or maaaaaybe a 688/SX-R4+, one can dream). 

Keeping around a Sound Devices 552 / Tascam DR680 as my back up bag. 

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sound Devices MixPre-3/6


For these I'd just recommend people using the HDMI trigger. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For these I'd just recommend people using the HDMI trigger. 

This was with the non responsive to Canon C100 trigger thing in mind.

And the non GH4/GH5 Lumix cameras that aren't listed on their compatibility list.

I don't see any BMD cameras on there either, I don't suppose you'd happen to know if they work and are just not there because they haven't officially tested them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Marantz PMD-661 (with Oade Mod)

Another PMD-661 here!

In fact, i managed to make a DIY wired  remote, with just a RGB led, a 3,5mm stereo plug and a mini swich, just like original marantz one.

But mine starts the record but only can pause the same track and put marks, can't stop the record and dont know why...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Tascam DR-60D. I also run an Audio Technica AT-875R into it most times, but I also have an Audio Technica AT-2020 that I use every now and then.

It's a great, cheap, four channel recorder. Only downside is the horrid battery life. I have zip tied a 10,000 mAh USB power bank to the thing just to have reliable power!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recording directly into something like the BM 4K Video Assist would eliminate sync issues while giving you xlr (mini) and 48V phantom. Not sure how they compare to other audio recorders (noise, preamps etc) but they look like an interesting solution as an audio recorder with the benefit of having a decent monitor thrown in for good measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Marantz PMD-661 (with Oade Mod)

 

12 hours ago, Grimor said:

Another PMD-661 here!

In fact, i managed to make a DIY wired  remote, with just a RGB led, a 3,5mm stereo plug and a mini swich, just like original marantz one.

But mine starts the record but only can pause the same track and put marks, can't stop the record and dont know why...

 

Simulating the Marantz RC600 remote would be in order then.

Did you use a regular 3 pole 3.5mm plug or a 4 pole as from what I can gather the RC600 uses a 4 pole ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...