NX2 rumors

salim

21 minutes ago, Mokara said:

You can't. The fastest cards available will be able to just cope with 10 bit at most, and that is assuming you only use a 4K crop (in other words, no oversampling).

Okay, it seems like we all come to the same conclusion after all. Now we only have to wait and see.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whatever it is, and whatever it does, it is exciting, and this camera has offered us plenty the last few years!

3 years after deciding against the GH4 and going with the NX1, I see now that that was a trip worth taken.

I seriously do not know one person staying in one system since abandoned NX.

2 hours ago, vaga said:

Potentially he could scraping the live view feed just like ML does

If it really works then I bet that he solved it that way:

I think he basically wrote some app (NX1 is running on Linux-like OS Tizen) that is 'snapping screenshots' (maybe directly to DNG) from life view feed in video mode (he mentioned AF and IS works) - so it probably the similar thing as external recorders do. 

So image is already resized to 4K and minim. aperture is 1/30s.  That is why he mentioned same behaviour in low-light  (I think it is caused by way how NX1 resamples image to 4K). I would not expect REAL 6,5K 14bit CR2 RAWs but 'only' un-compressed 4K 10bit DNGs. I think it is only one possibility because otherwise would be bitrate huge as already mentioned here.

Hi guys,

After taking a look at you posts, it's exciting to see how every of you would do it. Some of your thoughts were mine at the beginning of this long way I've done.

To tell you a bit more about it: The biggest advantage of my method is the great maleability in post. It's absolutely the same as working with other professional RAW formats.

@All - to say a little bit more...The speculations on data rate transfer limitations are not useful - because I've "opened the box"...Now I have partial direct access to the heart of this beast...

But please consider, "heart surgery" is not as simple as it sounds - specially for a small guy like me...And it could possibly imply legal issues...

@Juxx989

Cynism and giving up when disappointed don't make films or fotographs. Please consider, that BM manufactures professional productions cameras with multiple codec options. XLR, NDs, etc. Not comparable with a modified hybrid camera - even when it's a great one. There's a great difference between playing around and reliability & professional features (not IQ only) of a dedicated professional camera.

1 hour ago, Arikhan said:

@All - to say a little bit more...The speculations on data rate transfer limitations are not useful - because I've "opened the box"...Now I have partial direct access to the heart of this beast..

I believe the speculations ended with the conclusion that you are only limited by card speed. Did we get at least that part right?

I'd like to answer your question by quoting a Samsung manager - his claims are exactly saying all you need to know (without speculating) about possibilities / limitations of this beast:

<cite>

I wanted to come back to the data-readout speed. Is the camera actually capable of recording video at 240 frames?

JK: No.

DE: Oh, because the codec isn't fast enough to compress and format it?

JK: Actually, we just didn't implement that functionality, but the DRIMe V and the sensor could do it. When the guys in R&D were working on the Samsung Auto Shot feature, they recorded live 28 megapixel, 240 fps "video" to help with the debugging. We didn't see there being an application for that, at least for very, very few people.

</cite>

Article --> here <-- (September 2014)

Please take time and read it very carefully - in 2018 it's still a stunning piece of technology, undefeated in many ways...Many features are already therein...

So, no doubt - it can be done. At 28 MP. Period. 

@Arikhan So the sensor is capable of capturing 28MP at 240fps, and the processor is capable of compressing and formatting it realtime. That's awesome, but we are talking about uncompressed RAW video right? Like Magic Lantern. I'm a bit confused now, because my question is still unanswered. If we have something like Magic Lantern RAW, but with 4K, how do you write that massive amount of data to an UHS-II card?

Speculation is nice, and good, but just let the guy breath for 10 more days, and we will find out soon. Clearly he wants to be 100% sure and ready before his announcement.

But let's speculate a little bit more! There must be a flex cable somewhere in there, transfering data, if one can find where it is, then it has a way to "take" the data, and act accordingly. One can even put a microphone from a flex cable.

@Arikhan congratulations for your discipline as a student and as a person, amazing that you were working "secretely" on a project such this.  Way more mature than your age indicates (I have that impression from previous conversations we had on this forum).

From the same (Imaging Resource) interview shared above:

"DE: The video streaming through HDMI port, is that 4:2:2 on everything?

JK: It's 4:2:2 out the HDMI 1.4 port; it's 4:2:0 as it goes to the SD. And it's H.265 to the card for both HD and 4K, so whatever video mode you're saving to SD card, it's using H.265, so you're going to get much more efficient and better-quality HD out of it."

I am guessing it's a spftware limitation since it does write RAW photos to card. 

Guys, a community always can have some more useful ideas than a single person. The problem is the technical implementation and the workflow after getting the results you want. One more problem could be the legal aspect...

As the processor of the NX1 is very powerful, I invented a workflow called IDOB - Image Data Optimization Blocks. It can combine 2 RAW images and output a single DNG file (16 bit) with a convenient amount of data (much less than a single RAW) but with a tremendous amount of DR. And it fits in a modern workflow with Premiere or Davinci.....

This ground principle is not my invention: When putting (stacking) more images together (even shot under same conditions = similar EV) you will get a single superiour image with great DR and tremendous possibilities to work in post.

Just try it: Go with your camera and shoot in quite dark conditions JPEGs in burst mode (even without EV change). Stack them in post to a single image together. Do some post work on it and compare this result with a edited single picture...By far more details and DR...Have fun...

7 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

But for now...I'm fighting with Keynesian & Marxian economics, globalization BS, European integration and so on for my exam tomorrow. Not funny at all...

Spoiler alert: Naaaailed it. :grin:

Any screenshots to share/tease, perhaps of your process (not to rush you or anything)?

53 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

It can combine 2 RAW images and output a single DNG file (16 bit)

Uff, that sounds too good. Even standard NX1 RAW has lot of DR, so video would have more DR than photo (?) ... that is crazy. I hope you will be able to provide some examples or comparisons soon. Wish you all the luck to your exams.

@Pavel Mašek

18 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Uff, that sounds too good. Even standard NX1 RAW has lot of DR, so video would have more DR than photo (?) ..

It seems to be a misconception out there...You can't increase DR endlessly - this would be a perpetuum mobile and so...impossible. At the end of the day, output DR is limited by the maximum DR-capabilities of the sensor.

By stacking together you can only get more and more near to the DR limits given by the sensor - and get more maleability in post by gathering useful information to work with in highlights, mids and shadows. So, that's a kind of optimizing and NOT increasing. Only sensor manufacturers can increase the DR capabilties of a sensor...

1 hour ago, Arikhan said:

Guys, a community always can have some more useful ideas than a single person. The problem is the technical implementation and the workflow after getting the results you want. One more problem could be the legal aspect...

As the processor of the NX1 is very powerful, I invented a workflow called IDOB - Image Data Optimization Blocks. It can combine 2 RAW images and output a single DNG file (16 bit) with a convenient amount of data (much less than a single RAW) but with a tremendous amount of DR. And it fits in a modern workflow with Premiere or Davinci.....

This ground principle is not my invention: When putting (stacking) more images together (even shot under same conditions = similar EV) you will get a single superiour image with great DR and tremendous possibilities to work in post.

Just try it: Go with your camera and shoot in quite dark conditions JPEGs in burst mode (even without EV change). Stack them in post to a single image together. Do some post work on it and compare this result with a edited single picture...By far more details and DR...Have fun...

I am confused... From what I understand this experiment would work with JPEGS but not for a RAW file.

From what I understand the NX1 is an iso invariant camera meaning a RAW image taken at ISO 100 and pushed 2 stops in post would be (in theory) just as noisy as if you shot it at ISO 400 out of camera.

Now I might be missing the point completely but then again I am also convinced that Arikhan is just messing with everyone at this point.