Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

34 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

@Alpicat

there is some interesting stuff Happening in the magic kantern eos m Thread, if I got. it right they found the 1x3 Mode, which gives 5dmkiii type binning, I don't have the time to get it, maybe you do and come back and Tell us ;) 

Hi yes I tried it and it works fine. although liveview is a bit crazy with the screen heavily stretched vertically. When corrected in post, the image comes out at an aspect ratio of 4.6:1 which isn't very useable. You can crop the sides off down to 2.35:1 ratio but then you loose quite a bit of resolution. I'll test it further though.

There's someone who stuck an anti-aliasing filter into their EF to EF-M adapter using sellotape, sounds like an interesting solution! I might try that one day!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Alpicat said:

Hi yes I tried it and it works fine. although liveview is a bit crazy with the screen heavily stretched vertically. When corrected in post, the image comes out at an aspect ratio of 4.6:1 which isn't very useable. You can crop the sides off down to 2.35:1 ratio but then you loose quite a bit of resolution. I'll test it further though.

There's someone who stuck an anti-aliasing filter into their EF to EF-M adapter using sellotape, sounds like an interesting solution! I might try that one day!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 10:33 PM, Alpicat said:

At long last I've received the Viltrox speed booster for my EOS M, which means it's now a full frame raw video camera! Seems to work nicely so far, here's my first footage using the whole sensor area. Sorry I keep doing videos of the same thing, hopefully one day I'll do a more interesting video:

Youtube description:

First test using the Viltrox Speedbooster with Magic Lantern raw video on my Canon EOS M. Resolution is 1736x1042 (14-bit lossless raw) in 3x3 mv1080p mode, using the full sensor area. The Viltrox speed booster provides 0.71x magnification which makes the EOS M camera practically full frame (1.14x crop compared to 35mm full frame).

As always, youtube compression makes the footage look mushy compared to what I exported from davinci resolve. The Viltrox seems sharp enough for video, although it doesn't perform so well in the corners for photography, which may bother some people. I used a Tamron adaptall 35-70mm f3.5 for this video. I didn't use the SD US overclock card hack as at this resolution you usually get decent recording times without the hack. Also I forgot to remove the focus pixels on mlvapp. Sorry for the shaky video, this was a very quick test! 

What recording times do you get at that resolution and at what aspect ratio is that recorded?

I’m looking to get decent recording times that have to be at least 30 secs. I don’t want to shoot in movie crop mode. Right now I shoot 16/9, 1736x584, 14-bit  lossless to be able to record long takes. 

Any tip on what is the best set up to get long recording times with the highest resolution/bit depth? Thanks 

@henricus If you want to shoot this resolution you have to enable crop mode (I think it's called mv1080p 3x3) - otherwise you're limited to 720p vertical resolution with excessive aliasing. The aspect ratio is what you see in the video,  I guess it's close to 1.5:1 since this mode nearly uses the entire aps-c sensor space. I get continuous recording at this resolution in 14-bit lossless raw if the sd card hack is enabled - i.e. you can record for minutes, until the camera starts getting hot and then it's probably a good idea to stop. Without the card overclock at 10 or 12 bit lossless raw you should still be able to get fairly decent record times from what I remember. 

16:9 would be 1736x976 - in the magic lantern menu select 16:9 aspect ratio and that's the resolution that should appear. You'll probably get close to continuous recording without the sd card hack in 12 bit lossless at this resolution.

I've just seen that the eos m can now shoot 3k (3032x1436) at 24fps in 5x zoom mode. Look forward to trying this later this month when I can. The crop in this mode is  2.76x, or 2x with the speedbooster. Record times will probably only be a few seconds even in 9 or 10 bit lossless raw. 

• 1 month later...

This thread is fascinating.

If anyone is running a recent version of the hack, what is the state of live view when recording while cropped in 3x (for C-mount lens shooting)? Is it smooth, or choppy? If it's choppy, can live view be improved by shooting without raw, but rather than high-bitrate hack (if capturing the 3x crop is even available in that mode)?

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of picking up an EOS-M (shoot in 3x crop mode with ML), an M50 (cropped 4K + 1080P crop), or a Pentax Q (probably not) for playing around with some old 16mm film lenses. Just making sure that I have all the facts.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:48 AM, QuickHitRecord said:

This thread is fascinating.

If anyone is running a recent version of the hack, what is the state of live view when recording while cropped in 3x (for C-mount lens shooting)? Is it smooth, or choppy? If it's choppy, can live view be improved by shooting without raw, but rather than high-bitrate hack (if capturing the 3x crop is even available in that mode)?

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of picking up an EOS-M (shoot in 3x crop mode with ML), an M50 (cropped 4K + 1080P crop), or a Pentax Q (probably not) for playing around with some old 16mm film lenses. Just making sure that I have all the facts.

I am happily using eos m with ML and a c mount lens ( originally for super 8 ), with RAW rercording in 4:3 ratio, 18fps, the live view works great with the correct ratio, frame rate. So it should work fine with 3x crop. 

Only the 4k/2.5k seems to have unusable liveview for me.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:13 PM, youshouldtry11 said:

I am happily using eos m with ML and a c mount lens ( originally for super 8 ), with RAW rercording in 4:3 ratio, 18fps, the live view works great with the correct ratio, frame rate. So it should work fine with 3x crop. 

Only the 4k/2.5k seems to have unusable liveview for me.

Does the EOS-M have HDMI out to view?

I think in a lot of it, especially in the beginning, can be attributed to the super shallow DoF it has. That is something in bright conditions you really have to be aware of as it draws your eyes away from the main subject. Doing that over emphasizes the bright parts and appears overexposed, which in parts I am sure it is. I am not a big fan of super fast lenses, it just makes overall shooting a Lot easier to make mistakes, Not counting expensive. That is Not what a person needs lol, especially on the Video side. Now it might have been shot on a long Telephoto lens from a distance, who knows. But the danger still exists doing that. Ahh info said it was shot on a Canon Pancake EF-M 22mm lens. You can bet your Buttocks it was set to f2 a Lot lol.

But I thought the hair on the woman was beautifully exposed and had a ton of detail. Perfect exposure through and through, no, but pretty damn impressive CS and resolution for a camera that cost just peanuts to buy.