Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

On 4/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, webrunner5 said:

This place sells them, but they are not giving them away lol.

http://www.mosaicengineering.com/

I managed to find one of these filters for a Canon 50D on ebay for cheap (I bought the Mosaic Engineering VAF-50D Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter), and got round to making a video with it yesterday in mv1080p rewire mode (full sensor 3x3 line skipping). It works, doesn't get rid of the aliasing 100%, it's still there in extreme situations, but the reduction is substantial.

I stuck the filter into an EF-M to EF adapter with sellotape, it's impossible to fit it directly in front of the sensor as it's too large - I actually tried to fit it by cutting the filter's frame off, but the glass started cracking straight away so stopped that attempt immediately (you can see a crack in the photo on the top right corner of the fulter, but it doesn't affect the image luckily). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@webrunner5 thanks! yes this camera now basically has the same capabilities as other Canon dslrs with magic lantern, only it's cheaper and very light.

@Emanuel I guess it does look a bit space-age with all that sellotape floating around in front of the camera!

@thebrothersthre3 mosaic engineering make these filters for Blackmagic cameras too, it's worth getting one that was specifically designed for the camera you have as then you should get the best results. However I don't think Blackmagic cameras suffer from that much aliasing compared to most Canon cameras?

8 hours ago, Alpicat said:

@Emanuel yes the 5D mkIII is an exception because it uses pixel binning, I meant most of the other Canon dslrs that shoot 1080p with line skipping. From my experience they're worse than the bmpcc.

Yeah the OG Pocket has moire which is more apparent in RAW. Probably not as bad as the 5D, but its definitely there. The URSA mini 4.6k has it too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 12:14 AM, Alpicat said:

Tiffen Digital Diffusion or HDTVFX filters function pretty well as a poor-man’s anti aliasing filter. They also contribute to a more old school film look. You have to hack a filter adapter on to some c mount lenses (I cut a hole in the lens cap and superglued a 37mm to 52mm thread adapter to it!)?

I’ve shot some more Super 8 footage - I’ll try to make a short edit and post it later if I get a chance.

• Administrators
On 5/4/2019 at 8:33 PM, Alpicat said:

@Emanuel yes the 5D mkIII is an exception because it uses pixel binning, I meant most of the other Canon dslrs that shoot 1080p with line skipping. From my experience they're worse than the bmpcc.

In Magic Lantern RAW (MLV) I had equal sharpness, detail and almost zero moire from both the 5D II with Mosaic AA and 5D III. Without the filter the 5D2 isn't so bad and definitely a lot less moire & aliasing than in the stock Canon video mode.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

In Magic Lantern RAW (MLV) I had equal sharpness, detail and almost zero moire from both the 5D II with Mosaic AA and 5D III. Without the filter the 5D2 isn't so bad and definitely a lot less moire & aliasing than in the stock Canon video mode.

Same findings over here BTW : -)

• 2 weeks later...

OK a few questions. I have had my EOS M now for a few days. Got my M42 adapter now, and I have laying around aToyo 24mm 2.8 and a 135mm 2.8.  Ready to load ML on it. But It has firmware 2.0.3 on it and every build I see seems to need Firmware 2.0.2 to use it. Do I have to roll it back, and if I do I am not finding how to do it, or the original 2.0.2 firmware anywhere. Hey I am old. ☹️

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Ready to load ML on it. But It has firmware 2.0.3 on it and every build I see seems to need Firmware 2.0.2 to use it. Do I have to roll it back

There is/was an ML version for EOSM firmware 2.0.3.  ML developer Daniel Fort has a 2.0.3 ML version from January 2017 on his bitbucket download page (scroll down to "magiclantern-Nightly.2017Jan13.EOSM203.zip"),

and if I do I am not finding how to do it,

Here is Daniel Fort's tutorial on how to downgrade Canon firmware.  It is fairly easy, once you have the firmware (.fir) file -- just reflash the firmware the same way you would flash ML (except the SD card should not have the "boot flag" enabled).

Always make sure that your battery is fully charged before you attempt a firmware update.

or the original 2.0.2 firmware anywhere.

Canon doesn't seem to have the EOSM 2.0.2 firmware posted for download, but it is available on this page.  Scroll down to the firmware download link near the bottom of the page (it's not the "ksd291a_installer.zip" file near the top of the page).

In Daniel Fort's firmware downgrade tutorial, he seems to suggest that it is very unlikely that someone would/could tamper with compressed Canon firmware files (.fir).

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2018 at 10:39 AM, Alpicat said:

Here's a very quick test I shot with a Schneider / Beaulieu Optivaron 6-66mm f1.8 super 8 lens. 12-bit lossless, continuous shooting at 1392x1028 resolution. You can't really go higher than this resolution without getting excessive vignetting, and 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely the way to go with this lens. 

Also here's a test with an EF-M 15-45mm stock lens, this time at 1792x1030 resolution. I wrote the music on ableton live for both these videos.  

I love what you did with the Schneider...but how did you get it to mount to the M? Does the 6-66 come in an L Mount and you maybe got an L mount adapter? Thank you so much in advance!

Does anyone know if the Angenieux 6-80mm 1.2 C mount would be to large or heavy to attach to a c-mount adapter on the EOS M?

Does anyone here have ay experience with this lens? Is it better to wait and find a 6-66 in either Schneider or Angenieux?

Thank you so much!

B

Do you know what build and settings were used for this first video? I would love to get to that. Thank you so much! First time putting ML on my EOS M and even though I've been a photographer and built my own computers when i was 15...I still find this software a little alien and confusing at the moment.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:39 AM, Alpicat said:

Here's a very quick test I shot with a Schneider / Beaulieu Optivaron 6-66mm f1.8 super 8 lens. 12-bit lossless, continuous shooting at 1392x1028 resolution. You can't really go higher than this resolution without getting excessive vignetting, and 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely the way to go with this lens. 

Also here's a test with an EF-M 15-45mm stock lens, this time at 1792x1030 resolution. I wrote the music on ableton live for both these videos.  

Do you know what build and settings were used for this first video? I would love to get to that. Thank you so much! First time putting ML on my EOS M and even though I've been a photographer and built my own computers when i was 15...I still find this software a little alien and confusing at the moment.