Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

34 minutes ago, Braydon said:

Do you know what build and settings were used for this first video? I would love to get to that. Thank you so much! First time putting ML on my EOS M and even though I've been a photographer and built my own computers when i was 15...I still find this software a little alien and confusing at the moment.

Hi, the video is from February 2018 so I used the build that was available at that particular time. The video description mentions that I used 12 bit lossless recording, so it would have been one of the experimental builds from the main website (not from the forum) - this was a few months before Danne started doing the SD overclock hack for this camera. Given that the resolution was 1392x1028 I'm guessing I was using 'movie crop mode' which gives you a full realtime view of what's being shot, the preview is zoomed in 3x in relation to the whole sensor in that particular mode (rather than 5x). 

The Schneider lens was mounted to the camera with a C-mount to EF-M mount adapter.  

On 5/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Reid said:

In Magic Lantern RAW (MLV) I had equal sharpness, detail and almost zero moire from both the 5D II with Mosaic AA and 5D III. Without the filter the 5D2 isn't so bad and definitely a lot less moire & aliasing than in the stock Canon video mode.

That's good to know! I only ever used the 5D mkII without magic lantern (back in 2011) - didn't realise there was less moire and aliasing than when shooting with the regular video mode.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/10/2018 at 4:16 AM, Matt James Smith ? said:

I’ve been messing once again with using my EOSM as a Digital Super 8 camera and I’m pretty happy with the results. 

For the video below I used the following setup.

6mm f/1.2 Pentax TV lens (paper shim between lens and C mount-EOSM adapter, for infinity focus)
Tiffen Digital Diffusion 5 filter (reduces moire artefacts)
EOSM with latest ML build
18fps override (exact)
5x zoom
12bit lossless RAW
4:3 aspect
1440 x 1080 

i just used the aperture ring for exposure, rather than ND, as it seemed more authentically consumer Super 8.

This video has effects applied - FilmConvert’s Super 8 grain; FCPX native “aged film” effect applied very sparingly for jitter and a little dust; a telecine’d Super 8 black frame (keyed over footage). If there is interest, I can post the ungraded footage.

I love this! Thank you for the setup specs. I do have one questions though.  I understand setting everything up in the ML backend...but does it matter what you tell the EOS's software to film in? 1920x30, 1280x60, 640x30, etc? OR does the ML software take precedence and picking a framerate on the EOS itself have no effect?

THANK YOU!

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got my 6mm Pentax Cosmicar 1.2 C-Mount Lens in and decided to take it for a spin today.

It was a game changer!!!

While I was waiting for that lens to come in I was using a Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 on an EF-M converter and it was always too bright to use during the day even at f/16 and the 5x crop was horrendous, but as I hoped, everything changed and became clear and made sense once I got the Pentax 6mm.

I used the same settings as @Matt James Smith ? (thanks for the specs by the way Matt!):

6mm f/1.2 Pentax TV lens (have not yet added a shim for infinity focus)
EOSM with latest ML build
18fps override (exact)
5x zoom
4:3 aspect
1440 x 1072

I LOVE THE LOOK SOOOOO MUCH!! THE ONLY ISSUE ON THIS FIRST RUN WAS THOSE DAMNED PINK DOTS!!! I know they have been discussed on other threads, so it's time to dive deep into that issue, but for now I couldn't be happier!

Only effects are some slight dust and movement via FCPX's "Aged Film". Other than that, it's straight out of camera. Also per Matt's deduction, I have slowed all clips down to 72% duration on a 24FPS timeline in FCPX.

Here is a little vid I put together quickly from the shots I took in the Santa Barbara Harbor this morning.

So far I'm only in for $160-$170 on the build, including the body, c-mount adapter, pistol grip and Pentax Lens (which I won for a steal on eBay for $40)!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE HERE FOR HELPING ME GET TO THIS POINT!!! ?

And if I can be of any service with my still limited knowledge...I'm happy to help anyone!!

53 minutes ago, Braydon said:

HE ONLY ISSUE ON THIS FIRST RUN WAS THOSE DAMNED PINK DOTS!!! I know they have been discussed on other threads, so it's time to dive deep into that issue,

Those pink dots don't look like the typical focus pixel dots.  The problems is something else.  It appears that you are also experiencing black (pink?) hole Sun effect.

I seem to recall reading in the Magiclantern EOSM thread and watching one or two recent @ZEEK videos on how to remedy pink highlights and black hole Sun with EOSM raw.  As I recall, one just lowers the white level in MLV App to eliminate the pink highlights.

Perhaps, @ZEEK and/or @Alpicat will chime in with suggestions.

52 minutes ago, Braydon said:

Here is a little vid I put together quickly from the shots I took in the Santa Barbara Harbor this morning.

Nice!  Thanks for sharing!

46 minutes ago, tupp said:

Those pink dots don't look like the typical focus pixel dots.  The problems is something else.  It appears that you are also experiencing black (pink?) hole Sun effect.

I seem to recall reading in the Magiclantern EOSM thread and watching one or two recent @ZEEK videos on how to remedy pink highlights and black hole Sun with EOSM raw.  As I recall, one just lowers the white level in MLV App to eliminate the pink highlights.

Perhaps, @ZEEK and/or @Alpicat will chime in with suggestions.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

holy crap! I just cruised over to the ML forums on the Pink Dots and I was not ready for the amount of info I got into. Multiple programs and pixel mapping and coding?!! Am I screwed? Did I start a project that has no real answer?! haha. oh man, my head is spinning from that forum.

1 hour ago, Braydon said:

holy crap! I just cruised over to the ML forums on the Pink Dots and I was not ready for the amount of info I got into. Multiple programs and pixel mapping and coding?!!

Again, the pink dots in the highlights of your video appear to be very different from the pink focus pixels that are discussed (and mapped out) on the ML forum.

Upon a closer look, I see that focus pixels sometime appear in your video in the same frames as the pink highlight "fixed pattern" dots.

Here is what pink focus pixel dots look like:

22229569838_cfcf5c981a_b.jpg

Notice the distinctive, orderly pattern of the pink focus pixels.  These faint orderly dots are easy to map out.

The pink highlight dots in your video seem to be some other problem, likely related to the pink highlights phenomenon (completely different from the pink focus pixel phenomenon) and possibly also related to fixed pattern noise.

Again, you additionally  have a "black hole Sun" problem.

I think that the free, open source MLV App will solve most of your problems, but I am not familiar with it.

7 hours ago, tupp said:

Again, the pink dots in the highlights of your video appear to be very different from the pink focus pixels that are discussed (and mapped out) on the ML forum.

Upon a closer look, I see that focus pixels sometime appear in your video in the same frames as the pink highlight "fixed pattern" dots.

Here is what pink focus pixel dots look like:

22229569838_cfcf5c981a_b.jpg

Notice the distinctive, orderly pattern of the pink focus pixels.  These faint orderly dots are easy to map out.

The pink highlight dots in your video seem to be some other problem, likely related to the pink highlights phenomenon (completely different from the pink focus pixel phenomenon) and possibly also related to fixed pattern noise.

Again, you additionally  have a "black hole Sun" problem.

I think that the free, open source MLV App will solve most of your problems, but I am not familiar with it.

yeah, after a couple more hours reading through last night, I downloaded the MLVFS program and used some options within that to take care of the issue, which worked beautifully! It even took care of the black hole sun. : )

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, QuickHitRecord said:

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of picking up an EOS-M (shoot in 3x crop mode with ML), an M50 (cropped 4K + 1080P crop), or a Pentax Q (probably not) for playing around with some old 16mm film lenses. Just making sure that I have all the facts.

Personally I'd go with an OG BMPCC and a little cropping in post instead. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Personally I'd go with an OG BMPCC and a little cropping in post instead. 

For 16mm lenses (non-Super 16, 2/3" sensor equivalent, which is actually the vast majority of 16mm lenses produced), the Pocket 4K is an excellent camera, because its 1080p crop recording is exactly at 16mm film-equivalent sensor size.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, Braydon said:

I love this! Thank you for the setup specs. I do have one questions though.  I understand setting everything up in the ML backend...but does it matter what you tell the EOS's software to film in? 1920x30, 1280x60, 640x30, etc? OR does the ML software take precedence and picking a framerate on the EOS itself have no effect?

THANK YOU!

Sorry, didn't get a notification for this and forgot I'd posted here :)

I made some more EOSM S8 "film" I'll post later.

Here's the footage I shot (and threw a load of film emulation effects on top of). It's not edited into anything interesting it's just 20min of stuff ... so skim through and find the bits you like.

Some other nice stuff posted here folks - nice to see! The main tips I'd give are:

1. Be aware of the horrific aliasing - tree branches against a bright sky look just horrific. I've added a strongwomen Tiffen Digital Diffusion or HDTVFX filter to the front of the already soft 6mm lens, which suits the consumer 8mm look I'm going for and deals with most of the aliasing. Adding grain in post helps diffuse it too.

2. Rolling shutter. It's awful. Put the strap on the camera and pull it taught around your neck (or use a loupe) to avoid jitters. A pistol grip handle helps too as the EOSM is not an easy camera to hold steady. Then stabilise the footage and correct the rolling shutter in post as best you can (I use Lock & Load).

Here's the vid. I'm pretty pleased with it as a Super 8 simulation.

Pw: S8mm

Hadn't you mentioned it was shot on EOS-M, I'd be pretty certain it was shot on actual film.
Congrats, it looks really convincing and beautiful.

Sometimes it's good to listen to / see some lo-fi works. It somehow clears the mind and lets you see the message / feel the vibe more clearly.
I hope that makes sense.
( :