DJI Ronin-S VS. the Zhiyun Crane V2?

Media Kat

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What camera are you using it with?

So far I’ve only tried  follow focus with my X-T2, but I’ve previously mounted a C100mk2 (with a 24 pancake) and a D750 as well. The C100 is too tall to go into inverted mode, but it worked great otherwise. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless there are performance related benefits to the Ronin S I'm not if an improvement in build quality is really all that exciting. What I'd switch for is better movement, I'd love for them to somehow move it away from the stiff, occasionally robotic movement of most 3-axis gimbals and introduce a little sway. If they manage to do that I'll switch.

6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Seems way too heavy. Too bad... 

As with Blackmagic Pocket CinemaCamera 4k, DJI doesn't communicate the weight. Because, as I've heard somewhere, the NAB model was aluminum and the final product will be magnesium alloy. Does anyone here know more?

Your remark touches two questions, but I consider them as completely unrelated:

1. What is *the* absolute weight limit above which a one-hand-gimbal doesn't make sense anymore? What is *my* weight limit?

2. Do I need a gimbal constantly, for almost every shot?

10 hours ago, Axel said:

As with Blackmagic Pocket CinemaCamera 4k, DJI doesn't communicate the weight. Because, as I've heard somewhere, the NAB model was aluminum and the final product will be magnesium alloy. Does anyone here know more?

Your remark touches two questions, but I consider them as completely unrelated:

1. What is *the* absolute weight limit above which a one-hand-gimbal doesn't make sense anymore? What is *my* weight limit?

2. Do I need a gimbal constantly, for almost every shot?

What I can tell you is that I have used the 2 latest Crane gimbal. One of them (the latest) is heavier cause it can take higher playload. 
I could not care less of having a ONE HAND gimbal that can take 7 lbs playload. It is totally illogic to have that load + gimbal weight, 10 lbs total in 1 hand. One cannot film more than 2 min with that. 

the other crane gimbal is perfect ration weight/playload. The reason I got interest for DJI: 
- build quality
- tons of features (focus ring could be great with the future BM camera) 
- DJI has an historical record of buttery smooth gimbal (n1 criteria for me) 

But if it is as heavy as these 2 guys say... Forget it I am gonna go with the moza aircross or buy again the Crane which was on sale for 399. 
I am waiting for the A7SIII / BM at this point so not much in a hurry. 

Just got the Tilta G2X.  Currently you can only use iOS to connect to the gimbal.  I have no mac devices so I can't connect to it to change settings.

Some strange behavior with the gimbal in follow mode when tilting (weird speed ramping when ending motion).  Zhiyun just "works" and I like that, it's hard adjusting to other gimbals :(  Locked mode isn't that great either with slight shifting of position.  Also when using Crane V2 I didn't have to use the lens support at all with my GH5 and various zooms, but with Tilta G2X I do otherwise it vibrates.

Can't really make any real comments until I find a way to connect to the gimbal and adjust settings, but I did try A7III+70-200mm and it "works".

I just weighed my Crane 2 and it comes in at 1.6kg with the follow focus motor and mini tripod feet, and with my X-T2 + 16 f1.4 it comes in at 2.6kg. I find it quite manageable, but like all gimbals you have to manage operator fatigue. I've never used a gimbal that I haven't needed to put down every few minutes anyway. I'd only use it on one hand when I'm really running with it, otherwise I fold up the mini tripod legs and use that as an additional handle, like if you walk with a camera on a monopod. Sometimes I use a monopod on the bottom of the Crane 2 as well which can be useful in really fast paced environments. 

• 1 month later...

Do you have any informations on the external focus motor? I don't find any informations on it and no one from dji.com seems able to communicate a date of release or a even a price. 
This is a very important feature if you want to be able to use it with others cameras and manual lenses, not listed compatible with the internal focus system. 
For exemple the upcoming Blackmagic pocket 4K 60fp. 
Tthe Crane 2 has already this feature available. I'm using a 5d Mark III for now but if DJI don't release any infos I'll go for the Crane 2. Would be a shame because the Ronin-s seems a better gimbal.

6 hours ago, darks said:

Do you have any informations on the external focus motor? I don't find any informations on it and no one from dji.com seems able to communicate a date of release or a even a price. 

I have read rumors about cost estimation around 200-250$. Not bat at all.

So I just got the DJI Ronin S and decided to try it with a couple of cameras. The cameras I have tested so far are the Panasonic GH5S and the Canon C200. The former is well suited to handheld work given it is fully supported with the tether cable which is included with the Ronin S. The C200 is a much heavier affair so I would not recommend using this camera handheld with the Ronin S. However, as luck would have it... that is several phone calls and emails to Glide Gear would have it ? they now have an adapter so that the Ronin S can be mounted to the Glide Gear arm to help support heavier setups. To that end I have tried the C200 on the Ronin S with the Glide Gear Arm and can report it is awesome. I could not imagine using the C200 on the gimbal without some sort of support. I have not done any testing beyond balancing with the C200, and mounting the Ronin S/C200 onto the arm and shooting some spray and prey footage ( I have not attached the monitor as I have not received the monitor adapter yet). Anywho, here are some quick picies of the setup. Comments or question welcomed.

IMG_9522.thumb.JPG.5dd51e206d544a1d91158f34eebf252f.JPGIMG_5574.thumb.JPG.50f59e0b130fa57917ecc8911a934c04.JPGIMG_7058.thumb.JPG.2b3ef4b8875a906a67000e76cd753e43.JPGIMG_0666.thumb.PNG.344ac8eadd081357ccd9f976e2d2c607.PNGIMG_6338.thumb.JPG.92c849bac797f346ae12be212057ade8.JPGIMG_1123.thumb.JPG.190f0a8fd2ddc4945708a53fe0c3c2bc.JPGIMG_4479.thumb.JPG.4d67f44d302fa41ee025c20a034c5983.JPG