Does anyone shoot in B&W?

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, kidzrevil said:

@mercer have you tried using it with filmconvert ? Filmconvert’s b&w conversion with Canon Raw looks crazy

I’ll have to try it. I knew FilmConvert has a ML Raw profile, but I never really tested.

When I started this thread, I was toying around with an RX10ii... thinking I could avoid some common color banding issues of sLog2 by having the 4 Luma values of monochrome. It actually worked exactly as I hoped and loved the 120p video but every time I went out to shoot something, I picked up my 5D Mark III, so I sold the RX10ii since it wasn’t getting used.

But there is something very cool about the RX10ii and if I have some disposable income in the future I can see myself buying it again and treating it like a S16mm B&W camera for run and gun projects. 

On 3/25/2018 at 12:13 AM, Ingerson said:

I just shot my first short in BW, love the way it captures light. So glad my camera LCD could show BW when shooting. Straight from timeline (proxies, so very heavily compressed) and a simple BW LUT.

2018-03-25 05.56.37 am.png

2018-03-25 05.58.01 am.png

2018-03-25 05.58.27 am.png

Nice frames, please post the short when it’s competed. What camera did you use?

On 3/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, Matt Kieley said:

I shoot B & W a lot. Combining short films, music videos and tests I have about 25 B & W videos on vimeo right now. I'm shooting my next feature in B & W. Here's the most recent short:

I even used music from one of my all-time favorite films, Night of the Living Dead. This is the second B & W video of my daughter set to music from that movie. Eraserhead is my favorite example of B & W cinematography, and my favorite lighting in any movie as well.

Looks cool as always, Matt. Excited to hear you’re working on another feature. Any details?

To expand upon your points, I believe that B&W easily adds a level of suspension of disbelief that can really strengthen some films. Eraserhead being a perfect example of this. It’s like anything can happen in a B&W world.

I’ve had an idea for a film for years that needs to be shot in B&W... if only I can find the time to pre-produce it.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:45 AM, jhnkng said:

I love shooting black and white, but I don’t get to do much motion in black and white. I did shoot a short a few years ago in black and white: 

The blended, Super imposed frames at the end is such pure cinema. It felt as if I was watching a film from the 40s or 50s. Great work. 

On 2018-03-29 at 6:15 AM, mercer said:

Nice frames, please post the short when it’s competed. What camera did you use?

Panasonic DVX200

I had to call my friend (who found it for me to borrow + helped me with lighting) to ask. Yes, complete amateur here, ladies and germs, haha.

I will post it along with notes on the steps of the production and my thoughts on where I think I did well and where I failed miserably considering it's my first try making anything video xD

8 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Panasonic DVX200

I had to call my friend (who found it for me to borrow + helped me with lighting) to ask. Yes, complete amateur here, ladies and germs, haha.

I will post it along with notes on the steps of the production and my thoughts on where I think I did well and where I failed miserably considering it's my first try making anything video xD

Sounds great. I sometimes miss shooting with camcorders and you got to use a pretty cool one. I look forward to seeing your short. Love B&W!

7 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Thanks! Think 1950s sci fi B movie by way of the Coen Bros.

I could see that... quirky characters amidst an almost ridiculous scenario. Are you going to do the cheesy sfx associated with those 50s films? Also interested to see how you handle the prevalent post nuclear theme of those films... or should I say how you make it relevant to modern times.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Black and White all right. I read parts of this beautiful thread again. I never got to do a BW vid with my G6 as wanted to for this thread. So three years later comes come Black and White with my GX85, first and last shot are from the S1. Let´s show this forum some more BW love.:)

What a quirky and cool edit.  Those people who make model profile videos have a lot to learn in terms of composition and posing!

I love the variety of aspect ratios and cropping too 🙂 

Thank you very much! @kye This edit was fun to do. Lighting was a lot of fun as well, good old gels, blackflags, DIY reflector, thin styro. The model is an aspiring director, producer and writer. For this session I directed her though.:)

I´m really looking forward to do some B and W work with the EOS M. Hopefully my Cmount adapter arrives soon.  I think the GX85 is a pretty good BW camera though. BW is a lot of fun, even as an afterthought like this one.

When I read through this thread again I saw and really liked your BW Slog look with the RX10@mercer. It has a beautiful analogue quality.

Thanks @PannySVHS I really enjoyed shooting B&W with that camera. Changing the color to monochrome in the sLog settings seemed to help give the highlights a filmic look due to the higher dynamic range. And as I mentioned earlier, it negated the dreadful sky banding. Before I changed the setting to monochrome in camera, I tested the theory on color footage and as I brought the saturation down, I could see the banding disappear.

I like the MonochromeL profile on the GX85 as well. I've been considering buying a camera that I only use for B&W. I suppose the Fuji X-S10 would be kinda perfect for that. Acros Film simulation, or fLog, Super 35, IBIS, high bitrate 2K and 4K.

There was something very cool about the RX10ii, though. It felt like some kind of cine-camcorder.

51 minutes ago, mercer said:

There was something very cool about the RX10ii, though. It felt like some kind of cine-camcorder.

I coincidentally just bought one today for dirt cheap. I wanted one about 5 years ago but it was still a little pricey for me at that time. I'm excited to playa round with it, especially in Monochrome.