Kinefinity Terra 4k has landed

Raafi Rivero

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Perfect mount system. 

Agreed. Using Sony FZ would be nice, but they won't open that up to everyone. (ditto locking E mount. Perhaps locking MFT might be best, but no one has came out with that)

So a sub PL mount makes the next most sense. As it is open, anyone can use it, and it rock solid and gives a very wide range of adaptability. 

I blogged about the awesomeness of this back in 2016:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/what-if-kinefinitys-kinemount-became-a-universal-cinema-mount/

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jonpais said:

I like it. I want a smoke machine!

I've got the same smoke machine as him, but when I was shooting a scene for a feature last month I realised it had broken :-( We had to run out and buy smoke in a can instead

12 hours ago, timpy said:

Hey Raafi, how do you find the audio on the body (Without the Kineback)? Do you think it will do fine with a Rode mic in the 3.5mm?

A camera mounted mic on *ANY* camera is never going to be a great option.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A camera mounted mic on *ANY* camera is never going to be a great option

I agree that camera-mounted mics are a fallback, and relied on way too heavily. I used a lav in my first two videos about the camera (unsuccessfully in the second). My standard interview setup is a Zoom recorder with a Lav for the interviewee in one channel and a Rode NTG2 boom in the second channel. Then the Rode VideoMic mounted on the camera. The VideoMic is the backup to the backup. But it's saved me on several occasions like when you reframe and continue recording and the subject says something interesting or you're recording and either your sound person (if you have one) isn't on it, or your boom mic placement was only for one setup. It's a great tool to have in the bag. Also, for b-roll when the in-camera microphone would likely pick up sounds of any adjustments you'd make to the lens the VideoMic gives you a much better option.

It's pretty obvious the 5K is dead. I think it'll be a while before we'll see an actually good Super35 high-res global shutter sensor and I doubt it's going to come from the sub-5000-dollar market either. The one in BMD4K and Aja Cion was pretty much a disaster and it's likely Kinefinity hit the same problems they did (bad light sensitivity, insufficient DR with global shutter). Remember when BMD was saying the 4,6K sensor would have an on/off global shutter mode? Back then they said activating the global shutter would have a DR hit of 2-3 stops. I'm sure it ended up being way more, as the DR hit would indicate they probably weren't able to do a dual gain readout simultaneously with global shutter. I'm pretty sure something similar happened with Kinefinity - they just couldn't wrangle a competetive image out of the 5K GS.

8 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

It's pretty obvious the 5K is dead. I think it'll be a while before we'll see an actually good Super35 high-res global shutter sensor and I doubt it's going to come from the sub-5000-dollar market either. The one in BMD4K and Aja Cion was pretty much a disaster and it's likely Kinefinity hit the same problems they did (bad light sensitivity, insufficient DR with global shutter). Remember when BMD was saying the 4,6K sensor would have an on/off global shutter mode? Back then they said activating the global shutter would have a DR hit of 2-3 stops. I'm sure it ended up being way more, as the DR hit would indicate they probably weren't able to do a dual gain readout simultaneously with global shutter. I'm pretty sure something similar happened with Kinefinity - they just couldn't wrangle a competetive image out of the 5K GS.

I would not doubt that It will come below the 5000 market. The Rolling Shutter in the GH5s is really low. I think these small MP Full Sensor readouts will just get faster and faster, hell the new A7s mk III maybe, hopeful a Lot better. I think RS can be solved even on the cheap.

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You must have no memory of RED at all to think that?!
Kinefinity has been really good with making and delivering products in comparison to RED's history

You have no memory of my Trying to buy a Red One. Story is on here. I know ALL about Red in the beginning. I talked to Jim Jannard all the time years ago. He was, and is, a nice guy. Yeah I gave up, but I So keep up with the industry. 10 years ago I could have bought an Alexa if I wanted to. Today, well that is a whole new ballgame. I still daydream. And Kinefinity is just as bad a Red, At least Red does keep you updated, maybe unhappy about the news, where Kinefinity doesn't do much of anything for years. I am well aware of what it takes to start up a new company. I have done it myself several times. One grossed Millions a year. Now I made about 50 cents a year from it trying to pay it off LoL. Din't need the money from it.

But you have to keep people in the loop. I don't think Kinefinity is guilty of doing that , just guilty of the old Mushroom Theory.

59 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You have no memory of my Trying to buy a Red One. Story is on here.

Yes, I recalled that which is why I found it strange you're complaining about Kinefinity when they've been nowhere even close to as bad?!

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

where Kinefinity doesn't do much of anything for years

False, Kinefinity has done many things over the years. Some of which has even been reported here on Andrew's blog.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I would not doubt that It will come below the 5000 market. The Rolling Shutter in the GH5s is really low. I think these small MP Full Sensor readouts will just get faster and faster, hell the new A7s mk III maybe, hopeful a Lot better. I think RS can be solved even on the cheap.

Should've phrased that better. I'm sure it'll come to the sub-5000 market eventually, but I find it more likely we'll see them become common in upscale cinema cameras first.