“The Middle Path”: A Lumix GH5s Short

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

We begin production on a Sci-Fi project this Friday that I would love to get some feedback on. We will post some BTS pics and other stuff but mainly, I just wanted to get a dedicated thread going for when we can discuss in more detail. 

I guess you're planning to have a Livestream/ Video Podcast, and take feedback on things?

Lumix GX90/95... my guess is Panasonic is in the process of redefining their camera lines. The GH5 went up $4-500 higher than the GH4 as the continuation flagship camera. The G9 jumped up about $8-900 but turned into their flagship stills camera. So the GX80/85 will jump up to $1200 and have a little more oomph as their mid-tier video/photo hybrid camera.

I’m not sure where you got your figures from Glenn, but the GH4 was  $1,700 at launch and I paid $1,800 for the GH5, incl. V-Log, extra battery. And I don’t know what you mean when you say the G9 jumped up $900 when it’s a new camera. Where did you get the info about the GX80? A fortune teller? ? Why all the hostility towards Panasonic?

Sorry I thought the GH4 launched between $1500-$1600 and although you got a great deal on the GH5 it still launched at $2000 and it seems to me that the G9 is a continuation of the G7, G85 line with an emphasis on stills. And the GX95 is a guess as I said in my first sentence. ?

But I wish @AaronChicago is right and @Neumann Films goes back to Canon Raw because his 5D3 ML Raw videos are gorgeous.

Yeah, pretty sure my GH4 with 14-140mm was 1499 EUR incl. kit lens. So that's nowhere near 1700 USD. Also sure the official launch price of the GH5 was 1999 USD or EUR body only. That's got little to do with how much one ends up paying for it of course and more with where Panasonic themselves think it's place in the market is.

However, the G80/81/85 has not been replaced by the G9, instead the G9 is a whole new single digit Lumix G flagship category for stills. The GH5 itself is a highly advanced camera with a very specific purpose and audience, so, because of that, they've made it extra special to appeal to that audience (in turn turning off potential buyers with no use for those features, not willing to pay a premium)... yet... pricey. These to me give no indication whatsoever that the GX-range will be more advanced and extra pricey. I can see a GX90/91/95 selling for 899 (believe my GX80 was 699 incl. 12-32mm, at launch (but I believe still 100,- off from regular price)), but not much more than that, certainly not 1000+. If anything, Panasonic will keep playing the segmentation game... so any single digit camera model is going to be 1000+ (GX_ for rangefinder/lifestyle photography, G_ for professional stills (action & wildlife edge), the GH_ range with pro video features being just a hair off from being 2000,-) and will have a lot going for it. The lower tier cameras will have some features left out, forcing users that need more to cough up the do$h for a higher tier camera, or suck it up, therefor not breaking the bank. The GX80/85 for example didn't have: a frontfacing screen, any audio ports, dedicated SD slot (it was at the battery compartment instead), CineLike profiles etc. The G80 cleaned up that act quite a bit with all those things and then some (like weathersealing) except for a headphone port... yet, didn't have the new sensor or anything fancy like 4K60p, 10-bit or V-Log L. They're not going to release a camera that is smaller, cheaper and does the same things as the bigger players in their line-up, they've got to have that clear gap. And the double digit G_0 and GX_0 are just that. Affordable sub 1000,- cameras. Then there's even the 3 digits GX_00 line-up below that. There's a trend where all the somewhat better cameras and lenses are tending to get more expensive, but I don't think it's likely for a real 1:1 GX80 successor to be priced upwards from a thousand bucks, I just don't see that happening quite yet.

Anyways. Again, the rumors were about Panasonic starting to offer choices in their high-end flagship line-up. First the GH5, a video allrounder. Then the G9, stills flagship. Now... who knows. A7S style? GH5 body but low megapixel count sensor that does better in lowlight? Personally I think there's still nowhere to go for a GH5 shooter... the EVA1 is supposed to bridge the gap between the GH range and VariCam LT, but is it really, though? You'd have to ditch your native MFT lens line-up and you're still looking at spending 5000+, more like 10k when you've got it kitted out.

Now... what I think would be interesting... take a Canon XC15, right? Remove the fixed lens and give it a MFT mount and APS-C sensor (JVC GY-LS300 style, with variable sensor mapping 'n stuff). Keep the MP count on the low side (like the Sony A7S) for better lowlight... and forget about stills altogether. Add sensor stabilization, obviously... and do whatever you have to (in terms of body size: battery grip like bottom) with buffers, processing and storage (would be pretty cool to have quickswap mSATA drives like the Videodevices SpeedDrive) to enable ProRes and RAW DNG with the camera. Keep the price under $5k. Basically... you take the essence of the BMPCC... a fairly compact standalone (no need to wire ext. monitor/recorders) ProRes/RAW DNG cinema camera and bring it quite a bit up to speed.

@Cinegain Sorry, guys, you might have gotten a great deal on the GH4, but if you just check out a bunch of video reviews online, or better yet, look at Andrew Reid's review of the GH4, you'll see that the launch price (body only) was $1,699 at B&H New York. That's pretty near 1700 USD, isn't it? 

And from Tony Northrup's review (price over at Amazon for comparison)

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 12.10.16 AM.png

I sure hope Luke dumps his Panasonic for Canon too! =)

Guess the EUR-USD (or JPY) exchange must've been playing quite nicely in our favor back then for us paying less in EUR than USD (actually, 1499 EUR was body only launch price). Then I'd gotten used to EUR = USD prices. Nowadays I see a bunch of stuff that's lower in USD than EUR, although the EUR holds up better against the USD.

Well Jon, the point remains that the GH line went up in price from the GH4 to the GH5. And although I see Cinegain’s point, I think the G9 is a redefined extension of the G7/G85 line... why they renamed the single digit to the G85 for that one camera I don’t know. But I don’t think we’ll see a G90/G95. Anyway I think there is definitely some repositioning of the different tiers of Panasonic cameras, so my guess still is that the GX80/85 line will be upgraded to the $1000-$1200 range and the GX850 will take over the GX85’s place as their low budget model. Just a guess, I’m probably wrong. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I sure hope Luke dumps his Panasonic for Canon too! =)

I never said that he should dump anything, I would just like to see an alien arrival/abduction film shot with a C200.

If anything, Luke’s talent has surpassed all of these cameras and he should be Kickstarting a feature film to be shot on an Alexa Mini.

But wait... the Alexa doesn’t have IBIS or HLG, so the GH5 is obviously a better camera... and I don’t think there’s a Leeming LUT for LogC...?

Already dropped it actually.  The difference in quality doesn't justify the price difference anymore for me.  We aren't studio shooters or anything like that so a RED was way overkill to begin with.  Then we were forced (more or less) to use the GH5 on the launch video and it made me wake up to the fact that the low-mid level cameras now have enough to justify using them over a high end camera.  Really, if we kept shooting RED it would be for appearances only. 

I love the RED image and the codec and all of that but I hate the $20,000+ price difference.  Just not a value anymore.