The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi all,

Inspired by Tito and Bold and their anamorphic Lens-cyclopedia, I decided to try and make a list of low power diopters useful for anamorphic video. Using the info in this thread and searching on the web, I compiled a list which may be useful for anyone looking for suitable diopters.

I've attached the list as PDF. Feel free to comment and/or correct. The list may (hopefully) end up as an add-on to the online Lens-cyclopedia.

Diopters.pdf

Great list! You might want to add the Marumi DHG Achromat Macro Lens 330 (+3) and (+5) Very good quality. Come in 72mm and are achromat doublets. Also a Polaroid 250D Close Up Lens (72mm) which is a +2 achromat doublet. Redstan made a +0.25 achromatic doublet but you might not want to add it to your list being he made 8. I have one and it's incredible. I hope he makes more because when you put it in front of the SRL Magic rangefinder it does wonders :) 

• 1 month later...

I also bought the SLR's +0.33 &+1.33 set already.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/271994594777

I think they are double element too.

they are doublets. my review about them is coming in two weeks.

I bought THE EXACT same ones you did. It was a great price, right? Too low to let it pass for two doublets.

Timotheus, we also have a +1.8 Achromatic Diopter in 77mm for our Anamorphot lenses. Thx!

Just got this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/161898434253 , very happy with it.

It is a new item. Looks like a good deal compare to original price.

I found f-1734 is a good deal, 77mm.  some one said is 0.6 (means from 1734mm).  but the glass is almost flat (heavy, thick ring), compared to my vivitar 1/2, 62mm, very curved.

Hi guys,

Added these to the list. Great finds Ken! Couldn't resist buying that 77mm KMZ diopter on eBay for a steal...was the last one (for now)!

Cheers,
Tim

Diopters v20151215.pdf

So is there a way to use diopters to decrease MFD of single-focus attachments? I am using rangefinder and am wondering if i can go below the factory setting by attaching an 82mm diopter in front of it. I am looking to do those eyes-take-whole-frame shots, with 3,55 ratio I need to be around 20 or 25 cm away to pull it off. Considering Rangefinder is a diopter too, what diopter strenght do I need to make it focus that close? I am assuming I'd be able to fine-tune the focus too with focusing the rangefinder with diopter attached.

So is there a way to use diopters to decrease MFD of single-focus attachments? I am using rangefinder and am wondering if i can go below the factory setting by attaching an 82mm diopter in front of it. I am looking to do those eyes-take-whole-frame shots, with 3,55 ratio I need to be around 20 or 25 cm away to pull it off. Considering Rangefinder is a diopter too, what diopter strenght do I need to make it focus that close? I am assuming I'd be able to fine-tune the focus too with focusing the rangefinder with diopter attached.

You may get vignetting when using 82mm Achromatic Diopters due to the edge thickness. For regular 82mm filters you need to trial and error.

What you may do is set the Rangefinder to a closer focusing distance then find the sweet spot of your dual focus setup. It helps to bring down the MDF below the rated 3'6 at the expense of dual focusing again but at least you get your eye shot!

You may get vignetting when using 82mm Achromatic Diopters due to the edge thickness. For regular 82mm filters you need to trial and error.

What you may do is set the Rangefinder to a closer focusing distance then find the sweet spot of your dual focus setup. It helps to bring down the MDF below the rated 3'6 at the expense of dual focusing again but at least you get your eye shot!

thanks, Andrew, but I am using a fixed focus anamorphic and when I set rangefinder to MFD and my taking lens closer then infinity, the image is not sharp. So my only option is diopters. 

But you are saying that vignetting apart there should be no problem using diopters with rangefinder?

thanks

thanks, Andrew, but I am using a fixed focus anamorphic and when I set rangefinder to MFD and my taking lens closer then infinity, the image is not sharp. So my only option is diopters. 

But you are saying that vignetting apart there should be no problem using diopters with rangefinder?

thanks

Use a longer taking lens & a +1 or +2 diopter or both!