The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've never used the minolta diopter specifically, but I can vouch for the minolta glass of that vintage.  I have a 24mm, a 58mm and the 35-70 zoom and their all really nice lenses, as is their reputation.  It's older so I'm sure standard older glass warnings apply, but i've read on DP review that its a good diopter.  I think its not a terribly prized diopter just because its only 55mm thread (almost all the minolta lenses from back then are 55) and that's pretty small for today.  But if it works for you I'm sure its a fine choice.

• 3 weeks later...

[Comparison between Tokina +0.4 and Tamron +0.5 Diopters, unusual results]

I hope someone can clear things up for me. Although I've read up a lot on anamorphics over the past months, I am very much a noob when it comes to using them properly, as getting everything you need to maintain such an expensive passion is very difficult where I live. 

Knowing that the very coveted Tokina achromat is arguably the Holy Grail of anamorphic diopters, I was very happy to find one for cheap at a local shop (who knows how for long they probably had it).

I did a very bare bones test to compare it to another lens that I bought a while back, a Tamron +0.5 singlet close-up. I know there may be a lot of things wrong with it, lighting changes, the objects don't have an adequate texture to them for test purposes, and so on, but I wanted very quickly to see if there is any obvious advantage (in terms of sharpness) to the Tokina over it's single element counterpart.

Now, is it just me, or is there no huge difference between the images? I fail to see anything that would justify the huge price gap. I don't know if I should be dissapointed in the Tokina or impressed with the Tamron. I understand that maybe you can see what the Tokina is capable of by using better lenses, filming in different conditions, and so on. I don't know, what do you guys think? What am I doing wrong?

I Have 2 Iscorama diopters for Iscorama 36. They are non coated so you will keep all the beautifull flares .

I bought these from redstan together with a mint Iscorama 36. I needed to sell the lens - needed the money.. 

So I have these 2 and just wondered if anybody knows how much they are worth? I have never seen these for sal before and they are like new. 

Still in original box. 

Much better than the ok Tokina.. 

They are called

Iscorama-vorsatzlinse III 0.5 Dptr. (1-2M)

Iscorama-vorsatzlinse II 1 Dptr. (0.67-1M)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm looking for diopters for my Isco 54. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Marcel

​Voitlander Focar A+B (+1 & +2) 95mm - they're normally sold as a pair (check out German Ebay as a pair just went for £20 last week).

For weaker diopters, 82mm is a real minimum (72mm at a real pinch) & i'd suggest checking out Redstan's website as he has some real lovely diopters at this size with strengths of about +0.5.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, do you know this diopter? i cant find any info about, especially whats its power is. By the description in the sale it seems to be very low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Close-up-attachment-lens-for-200-600mm-Zoom-Nikkor-f-9-5-82mm-Series-9-/160847017874

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Great thread! Im wondering if I should attached the diopter to the taking lens or the anamorphic lens?

Thanks

​to the frontmost element, which means: to the anamorphic! :)

there are a couple videos around saying you should attach it to the taking lens for the Panny 7200, but it's a very specific case, and I was never able to test it,

I use in both end with negative filter,  make sharper images.  Sometimes, +0.5 filter needs reversely installed.  I think that looks like is closer/similar the curve with anamorphic front glass.

I wanted to share on the diopter thread and with the EOSHD community of my first shots with my Baby Berthiot Hypergonar paired with 2 Tokina +0.4 Achromatic diopters and a Marumi DHG +3 diopter for the close up shots. I just ordered a Polaroid 500D Close Up Camera Lens for getting even closer. Good price on those. 

I shot this over three days in May 2015 in North Carolina. I filmed in Chimney Rock Park, Fairview
Buncombe County, and outside of Burnsville.
Cut to the music of Dances With Wolves by John Barry. 

I shot on a GH4 in 4k with the scenery setting.
I used the Baby Hypergonar 1.75x anamorphic lens with a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm f/1.9 Xenon and a Olympus Zuiko Pen F 38mm F1.8 as my taking lens.
Custom Redstan housing for the baby!
I just lowered the mids on a few shots with Colorista 11 in color correction. 
I love the look and feel of this lens so much! I hope you enjoy it :)

Special Thanks:

to Seb Farges "Baby Hypergonar oracle"
vimeo.com/sebfarges

To Alan Doyle at Redstan
redstan.com/

To all the contributing filmmakers on EOSHD for there invaluable input. Also to Francisco Rios for his work with the Baby and Davide Marino for helping get lens!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a little help on some diopters, hoping someone has the info I'm looking for.  I just bought a pair of Angenieux diopters.

These specifically http://www.ebay.com/itm/281716858980?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I contacted the seller to find out what the thread was and he said they were 95mm, so I bought them, and bought this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981558-REG/cavision_art105_95_threaded_adapter_ring.html

The goal here is to build a filter mounting system with thread size of 95mm that can be mounted to rails which could be used with lomo squarefronts.  The problem is the cavision thing does not thread onto the diopter, it seems to be too small.

So basically i'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these diopters, are the threads actually 95 or was seller guessing and they're 96mm, that's an oddball thread size and would be hard to make a filter system around (where am I going to get 96mm ND's and polarizers?)  The threadsize is larger on the front than they are on the back, and I might be able to make it work if either thread was something standard.  Problem is they're obscure enough that I can't find specs on these anywhere.

It would be great to find some kind of official specs for these (thread size of the zoom they were designed for would do but as best I can tell they were for the angenieux 12-240 zoom and the only thread size I can find associated with that lens is 72mm, and that is definitely not correct for this), otherwise I'm basically just buying crap off amazon to see if it threads, or returning them, and I'd much rather get them working than send them back (projects are coming up and big diopters like these for an affordable price are not that common!).  Just can't make any sense of the 20x12 20x15 markings.

They look like nice glass, but if I can't get them in front of a lens they're not very useful.

Any help is appreciated!

Looking for a little help on some diopters, hoping someone has the info I'm looking for.  I just bought a pair of Angenieux diopters.

These specifically http://www.ebay.com/itm/281716858980?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I contacted the seller to find out what the thread was and he said they were 95mm, so I bought them, and bought this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981558-REG/cavision_art105_95_threaded_adapter_ring.html

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=22721

if you scroll down the page, someone states that the front thread on this Angenieux lens is 107mm, so if they really are for this lens then that should be their size. However, Angenieux made all sorts of different size threads & I bought one thinking it was a 95mm, but it was more like 93/94mm - the only way to tell for sure is when they show up.

Thanks for the response, I did find that thread as well, it's definitely not 107 on the back, but could be the diameter of the front.  I may have to do something insane like busting the glass out of a big uv filter and super gluing it onto the backs of the diopters. That would be real sad though.

im still hoping the cavision thing was somehow non-standard.

Hi guys, do you know this diopter? i cant find any info about, especially whats its power is. By the description in the sale it seems to be very low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Close-up-attachment-lens-for-200-600mm-Zoom-Nikkor-f-9-5-82mm-Series-9-/160847017874

​From what I could find, I believe its a +0.75

I thought I found that somewhere else as well.

http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/Zoom-Nikkor 200-600mm f-9.5.pdf

I have been in fractional diopter Ebay and google hell. I'm looking for a +0.25 diopter or close up lens in either 72mm, 77mm or 82mm for my Baby Hypergonar.

These are the only know ones to me and all are hidden deep within the Earth. Any body have any leads to getting one? Is there one off my list?

Redstan +0.25 sold out :/

Spiratones +0.25

Angenieux +0.25 82mm achromatic doublet

Heliopan +0.25 82mm achromatic diopter

95mm +0.25 Pentax (for the 135-600mm Pentax Zoom)

I got excited about the Zeiss IKON 0.2 but then read that is not really a +0.2 but a +3.5

Thanks!