Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this edit workflow question:

I currently shoot video on Canon DSLRs (in H264 MOV format), and edit on a late 2009 iMac (2.8ghz i7 processor, 16gb memory).

The films I make are mainly for web rather than TV broadcast, and beyond basic colour grade / tidying up, have minimal effects added (no CGI).

Until recently, I used Final Cut Pro 7, using FCP's Log & Transfer function to import and edit footage in Pro Res 422 format.

Having just moved to Premiere Pro CC 2017, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient workflow with the best resulting image.

Should I import and edit in native H264 MOV? Or ingest and edit as either Pro Res or DNxHD?

If Pro Res or DNxHD, what's the best way to ingest (or import / transcode)?

I've been reading mixed things via Google; mainly Adobe-related articles explaining a native workflow, vs various articles sponsored by transcoding software companies, saying that transcoding will have a better result.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Elliot

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Homme_en_Beige
      Hello,
      I am new to this forum (first post) and beginner filmaker and I will need advice ...
      Last June I started shooting for my documentary project on the local natural heritage, for now with my own money, so my gear is rather light...
      I'm shooting with a Canon Eos 70D DSLR, outdoor, and i'm shooting the natural spaces of a valley (along a river).
      At the start I wanted to film in RAW with Magic Lantern, but with my 70D i'm stuck in 720p (for a continuous recording), so finally i've shot in a compressed way, Mpeg-4 All-I 8bit 4:2:0 @1080p 29.97fps with a picture style (EOSHD C-LOG (0,-4,-4,2)) + Vari ND Filter, hoping to get myself out of it even in post-prod ...
      But here the quality of the images, in a context of shooting outdoors in shaded places very contrasted (...), do not satisfy me !
      So I would like to have advice to achieve a higher quality outdoor shots (natural light)?
      To illustrate my purpose you can see these few shots that I graded in Resolve + corrections in After Effects: https://vimeo.com/alexandrewebercom/riviereardeche
      The third shot is particularly ugly ...

- Have I "pushed" the mpeg-4 too far by color grading it or is it simply the limitations of this compression?

- How do I do with hyper contrast scenes (it was about 14h when shooting)?

- Am I condemned to film in RAW whatever the chosen camera (to be able to uncork the blacks or to recover in the whites in post-prod)?

- Is it better that I under-expose or over-expose this type of scene?

- Can you suggest gear/ configuration more suitable for my use: Camera, Raw / Prores, Log, external recording ... ?

Thanks a lot !
    • By Observe8
      Went to Pinpoint Muay Thai and shot some test footage with the Kinefinity Terra 6K.
      Shot in 4K with a helios44-2 modified by vidatlantic to have oval bokeh.
      Hope you like it...

• By Julien Miscischia
      Hi fox ! This is my last edit, a short film about freestyle snowboarding. A beautiful day in a marvelous park (La Clusaz) with the two killers Matteo Cuny and Nicolas Palladio. Top of the pop, we finished with a beautiful sunset. So glad and happy to have shot this.
      Comments are welcome dudes! Some pics of the session can be found here : http://www.switchmag.fr/decouverte/2015/11391-session-park-a-la-clusaz-matteo-cuny-nico-palladio.html 
    • By Inazuma
      '>
      Check out that picture above. Notice the difference in colours (particularly the skin tones). I've also uploaded the same clip to Youtube and Vimeo. Youtube's colours are exactly like Premiere Pro's, while Vimeo is more like Windows Media Player's.

Does anyone know why this happens and what can be done to get absolute consistency (especially with regards to Vimeo).
    • By Ben Brix
      Hello,

I have a lot of problems with the preview in adobe premiere pro and quicktime when it comes to color grading. These problems I experienced on different computer running Mac os x and different monitors calibrated or not. The issue is that the footage (h.264 / AVCHD) no matter if it´s from a 5d or a sony a7s looks alway more saturated and more punchy in the preview of premiere then after exporting and opening in quicktime. I think it´s a gamma problem. the thing is when i use magic bullet and the magic bullet looks preview inside premiere, it looks the same then in quicktime. when i use vls to playback the footage it looks the same then the preview of premiere pro. i made an example foto with four pictures. it´s a slight difference but if u look careful you will see it. it really drives me crazy. does anybody have the same experience or a solution?

thank you,

ben