NAB 2017 has been disappointing...

Emanuel

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Curious decision at that price point to use V lock batteries.

I know Dracast do their own V locks so they'll be happy to sell you some to use with it but they're more than the price of the light itself.

A cheap light for a pro if you've got v locks kicking about already but not having it use NPFs makes it less so for everyone else?

Has anyone tried one of these NPF to V lock adapters?

The no name ones I've seen on Amazon seem to be supplied with a suspiciously large number of spare fuses!

Always used generators for outdoor shooting but thinking about just using leds on the next project so curious how these batteries do time wise compared to each other for an led light like this. If the v mount is considerably better maybe buy one for each light and then rent batteries for long night shoots since you can just use ac indoors rather than dealing with several npf's for each light.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
9 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Always used generators for outdoor shooting but thinking about just using leds on the next project so curious how these batteries do time wise compared to each other for an led light like this. If the v mount is considerably better maybe buy one for each light and then rent batteries for long night shoots since you can just use ac indoors rather than dealing with several npf's for each light.

From the original post on Cheesycam, someone ran a test on another LED light between a real v lock and two NPFs on the adapter.

Won't be absolute in terms of how long they will run this new Dacast of course because its on a different light but the comparative figures will be a good guide.

The advantage of the NPFs is obviously cost but also that they'll do double duty as there are numerous low cost powering solutions for cameras like BM and field monitors/recorders that use them.

From the original thread >>>

"I did a test on the CN-600s with a Beillen 150 Wh V-mount battery, and it lasts 3 hours. The cheapest 150Wh V-mount battery I see on Ebay, Lanparte brand, is about $200, and the Beillen --also Chinese-- is about $250. The dual-NPF solution is much more economical.
3 hours v-mount=$200-250
2 hours NPF+adapter=$110
4 hours NPF+adapter=$170
6 hours NPF+adapter=$230"

-------------------------

http://cheesycam.com/v-mount-adapter-for-sony-l-series-np-f-batteries/

8 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Wonder if a trend will  develope with rental houses where they will be renting milk crates of fully charged vlocks and one will have the bliss of true silence while shooting away from AC sources...Aperture just released a light (300D??)  that they claim to be equal to a Joker 800 or 2K tungsten...whether there yet or not, this seems to be where the future of development in lighting is going. Owning and maintaining that many batteries seems impractical and expensive though...and a lot of work if they're sitting idle

7 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Wonder if a trend will  develope with rental houses where they will be renting milk crates of fully charged vlocks and one will have the bliss of true silence while shooting away from AC sources...Aperture just released a light (300D??)  that they claim to be equal to a Joker 800 or 2K tungsten...whether there yet or not, this seems to be where the future of development in lighting is going. Owning and maintaining that many batteries seems impractical and expensive though...and a lot of work if they're sitting idle

A lot of Korean rental houses are already doing this. My pd actually recommended this to me since he did this for his last few films instead of renting generators. He said it was much easier to deal with.

11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

From the original post on Cheesycam, someone ran a test on another LED light between a real v lock and two NPFs on the adapter.

Won't be absolute in terms of how long they will run this new Dacast of course because its on a different light but the comparative figures will be a good guide.

The advantage of the NPFs is obviously cost but also that they'll do double duty as there are numerous low cost powering solutions for cameras like BM and field monitors/recorders that use them.

"I did a test on the CN-600s with a Beillen 150 Wh V-mount battery, and it lasts 3 hours. The cheapest 150Wh V-mount battery I see on Ebay, Lanparte brand, is about $200, and the Beillen --also Chinese-- is about $250. The dual-NPF solution is much more economical.
3 hours v-mount=$200-250
2 hours NPF+adapter=$110
4 hours NPF+adapter=$170

Those base numbers are closer than I thought. When you add the two hours what does the price increase reflect? Another npf battery?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Those base numbers are closer than I thought. When you add the two hours what does the price increase reflect? Another npf battery?

Yes, he's pricing the NPfs at $30 a piece by the looks of it.

So 2 hours means he's using 2 x NPF at $30 each and the adapter at $50 so $30+$30$+$50=$110 

And then every additional 2 hours of power is $60 (2 NPF x $30)

• Super Members
16 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

I found their picks interesting:

That Slingstudio system that they're talking about is very very interesting.

I've just been tearing my hair out trying to devise (i.e. cobble together) a more cost effective version of multiple Terradek Vidius and switching system to do some (very) small scale multi camera live outside broadcast stuff  and going backwards and forwards with different permutations of small hardware switchers, software switchers and no name hdmi to rtsp encoders.

This thing seems to do it all as one integrated and much more cost effective system.

https://www.myslingstudio.com

28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, he's pricing the NPfs at $30 a piece by the looks of it.

So 2 hours means he's using 2 x NPF at $30 each and the adapter at $50 so $30+$30$+$50=$110 

And then every additional 2 hours of power is $60 (2 NPF x $30)

I bought one of those cheap NPF-to-V mount adapters a while back. I've got loads of the sony batteries and was hoping to use them to power my pixapro 100D on the go, but I don't know if they just couldn't provide enough voltage or what, but beyond some disappointing flickering, I never could get it to work right, so I sent it back. All the reviews I've seen show these types of solutions working fine for panels, but maybe the power draw is just very different for more powerful single-source lights. 

I don't know, my anecdotal evidence anyway, for what's its worth. For now, my pixapro remains tethered to the wall. V-mounts are expensive!! :(

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Parker said:

I bought one of those cheap NPF-to-V mount adapters a while back. I've got loads of the sony batteries and was hoping to use them to power my pixapro 100D on the go, but I don't know if they just couldn't provide enough voltage or what, but beyond some disappointing flickering, I never could get it to work right, so I sent it back. All the reviews I've seen show these types of solutions working fine for panels, but maybe the power draw is just very different for more powerful single-source lights. 

I don't know, my anecdotal evidence anyway, for what's its worth. For now, my pixapro remains tethered to the wall. V-mounts are expensive!! :(

Thats a real let down isn't it? As you say, all the ones I've seen seem to operate panels no problem but no consolation.

Its not just the batteries either, the chargers can sting a bit price wise as well.

Cheapest way in that I've seen are the batteries where you get the direct tap charger included. Though whether I'd budget for a fire extinguisher to go with it is another matter!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENTION-FS-BP150-V-Lock-V-Mount-Rechargeable-10-4Ah-150Wh-Battery-Charger-Kit-/361957152174?hash=item544653d5ae:g:rsQAAOSwmCVY9dAy

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

That Slingstudio system that they're talking about is very very interesting.

I've just been tearing my hair out trying to devise (i.e. cobble together) a more cost effective version of multiple Terradek Vidius and switching system to do some (very) small scale multi camera live outside broadcast stuff  and going backwards and forwards with different permutations of small hardware switchers, software switchers and no name hdmi to rtsp encoders.

This thing seems to do it all as one integrated and much more cost effective system.

https://www.myslingstudio.com

Nice stuff.

Funny that Variety targets it for Facebook content creators... LOL

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/dish-slingstudio-hardware-for-facebook-live-1202392811/

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

That's why it will make more sense in the future if you pick up a crate of vmounts for a shoot from a rental house instead of a genny with a truck and operator....as LED lighting improves, so power consumption needs go down...but owning a bunch of vmounts become expensive and they have to be maintained and charged regularly, even when not in use...that kind of thing is ideal on the gaffers truck, with lights from a rental house

On 4/29/2017 at 8:49 AM, webrunner5 said:

Well word on the DVXuser Forums is it is not going to be a standout on much of anything. I think it will be nice, but more of a C100ish camera. That maybe a hard thing to beat out, a C100, and a FS5. I  mean I am using a AF100A and loving it, but... I see no way they can sell a camera above the cost of 5000 bucks.  Maybe they will surprise us with some new things, I hope so. I am a Big Panny fan. I know I am not alone on here LoL.  But I know it will maybe out of my reach money wise. I don't see how they can top your FS5 for close to the same money. But we will know soon enough I guess.

This thing maybe cheap as hell and be a JVC LS300 competitor?? Who knows. It makes more sense to me. I think there is a void in that segment. You get up into 7, 8 grand you might as well buy a used Red, a used C300 mk something!

Codec on FS5 is weak, that is my biggest beef, and sensor is from fs700 so performance not as good compare to newer modern sensor on Sony mirrorless cameras, I feel I get more solid colour from A7RII than 10bit 4:2:2 limited 50mbps xavs-l codec, but super slow mo wise nothing beat it for the price range (except 2nd hand fs700)

at work we use couple c100mkii and occasional c300mkii.. real work horse camera without exciting spec, and since I use it almost everyday to me they are just tools, dont get the big deal people keep praising them almost like worshiping lol.  And I hardly use AF with those, manual is still the way to go, unless camera connected to my brain lol

On 4/29/2017 at 10:07 AM, BTM_Pix said:

3 hours v-mount=$200-250
2 hours NPF+adapter=$110
4 hours NPF+adapter=$170

Why not just buy some 12 volt deep cycle boat batteries? Hell couple of them would last forever! Do you Need 14.8 volts, or does 12 volts or less work on average??

NPF batteries are Only 7.2 volts. I would not recommend carrying a boat battery for Run N Gun though!  :grimace:

On 4/29/2017 at 4:17 AM, Don Kotlos said:

The only unannounced products that disappointed me were

1. a compact 4K ninja/ninja star/blade. 

2. BM pocket v.2

I was hoping for a Sound Devices 633 mk2 (or similar from Zaxcom with Zaxnet, or even from Sonosax or Aaton)

And I was hoping for a wideband small TX from Lectrosonics. 

@IronFilm You got MixPre 3 and 6, these are going to sell a lot and quality wise must be a notch up Zoom's F4/F8 with analog filters and limiters (and true knobs you can really turn!). 

What are you missing from the 633? Sonosax Sx-R4+ is brand new in Sonosax's terms and a new small Aaton must cost close to 9999$.

633 and Maxx are perfect as they are, and if you can afford them, they will be fine for broadcast for at least the next decade.

On 4/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, webrunner5 said:

Well the Kinefinity Terra is pretty much a Chinese knock off of a Red for nearly Red prices. I don't see the point of having one. Best to just buy a later model Red used, and hey it works, and you have a upgrade path.

It is not a knock off, unless you regard everything that is vaguely square and  boxy shape that shoots greater than HD raw to be a "RED knock off", in which case the BMCC is a RED knock off too! ha

And it certainly is *NOT* "nearly RED prices", a kitted out Kinefinity Terra would cost way less than an equivalent new RED.

On 4/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, webrunner5 said:

A Arri, well rent one or be rich, Way out of most peoples budget.

Not necessarily true now you can pick them up for sub $15K

On 4/30/2017 at 0:32 AM, Hanriverprod said:

Dracast is releasing these bi-color 1x1 v-mount flexible leds cri and tlci of 95 for $199 and a set of three for $499. Exciting lighting options for budget filmmakers coming out of nab this year. Great times for doc and indie shooters.

Daaaaaaamn! That does seem amazing for the price. 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sonosax Sx-R4+ is brand new in Sonosax's terms

Not brand new, as the news of that came out in 2014, and shipped in 2015. 

633 and Maxx are perfect as they are, and if you can afford them, they will be fine for broadcast for at least the next decade.

Maxx lacks Zaxnet, a major reason to even consider a Zaxcom recorder in the first place. 

@IronFilm You got MixPre 3 and 6, these are going to sell a lot and quality wise must be a notch up Zoom's F4/F8 with analog filters and limiters (and true knobs you can really turn!). 

MixPre6 (vs F4/F8) is one step forward and one step backwards. 

To get a MixPre6 would be a sideways "upgrade" for me, I'd rather keep that money in the bank for a future 633 (or similar) than to buy a MixPre6. 

@IronFilm That is why I said "in Sonosax's terms"! They won't upgrade for at least 2022, and it is very cheap for Sonosax anyway. Even for cameras lifecycle it is relatively new, the Sonosax's are almost 2 years old, give or take a few weeks.

The "entry level" Zaxcom has an (optional) UHF stereo transmitter that sends audio and timecode. If that is not enough, there is a "middle" solution with the name of Nomad (model 10 and 12)- Zaxnet and all; you are not getting that feature for cheap in anyway!

Sound devices (sic) are not cameras, the old Sound Devices are still on sale, and most do not upgrade to their newer ones, as their tested workflows deliver to post, professional and broadcast quality sound anyway, just for people starting, is rather silly to invest on an old machine right now.

To be honest, MixPre's seem just amazing for the price, just put a couple of Sony batteries and keep recording for days, and the analog circuitry inside is not a couple of steps difference, is half the world.

Here in Europe MixPre6 is 1000euros and 633 5000euros, not even close, I do not see owing a MixPre is stopping me later to buy a 663.

What are the things you like in the Zoom's that MixPre do not have? I will be soon in the market for such a device and I am heading to the MixPre6 to be honest, seems like an excellent little recorder for most jobs but I would like to hear it for a Zoom's user approach. The ones I know owing one (and only the F4), is just because there wasn't anything better under 800euros..

Also, do you have an opinion of choosing between F4 and F8 (except the obvious more inputs!)?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is not a knock off, unless you regard everything that is vaguely square and  boxy shape that shoots greater than HD raw to be a "RED knock off", in which case the BMCC is a RED knock off too! ha

And it certainly is *NOT* "nearly RED prices", a kitted out Kinefinity Terra would cost way less than an equivalent new RED.

It can cost 50 dollars, if you can't get one who cares how cheap it is.. But yes, I see your point. I stand corrected.  :glasses:

I hate when people say 'that phone? It's clearly an -insert brand- wannabe'. Dude, what are smartphones supposed to look like? Do you want to go back to the Nokia 3310 days just so it's different? Geez. Btw, actually you can, they re-vamped it. Still kinda sad the Craft cinema camera was a hoax. Would've loved a complete modular compact cinema camera system at roughly 2500 bucks.

On 5/2/2017 at 1:07 AM, Kisaha said:

Here in Europe MixPre6 is 1000euros and 633 5000euros, not even close, I do not see owing a MixPre is stopping me later to buy a 663.

Think of it this way: "puts you a thousand euros further away from owning a 633", or a fifth of the price!

And when you already have a recorder you are pretty happy enough with (the Zoom F4!), then there is no point doing that :-)

The "entry level" Zaxcom has an (optional) UHF stereo transmitter that sends audio and timecode. If that is not enough, there is a "middle" solution with the name of Nomad (model 10 and 12)- Zaxnet and all; you are not getting that feature for cheap in anyway!

Yeah, want Zaxnet... but a Nomad 10 (or 12) is a heck of a lot of money to spend when starting out! Plus I'd rather have the smaller form factor of a Zaxcom Maxx, but with Zaxnet!

Also, do you have an opinion of choosing between F4 and F8 (except the obvious more inputs!)?

More inputs/tracks is kinda the *only* reason to go for the F8 (oh, and bluetooth), in basically every other way the F4 would be better. 

For most people (who are operating at an F4/F8/MixPre level) to have 6x XLR inputs (4 of which are phantom powered) is more than enough for their work. 

To be honest, MixPre's seem just amazing for the price, just put a couple of Sony batteries and keep recording for days, and the analog circuitry inside is not a couple of steps difference, is half the world.

I'd be very skeptical indeed to claim it is half a world better.... maaybe it is only a couple of steps better, if that. Wait for a bunch of reviews and head to head comparisons before drawing any conclusions. 

On 5/2/2017 at 4:57 AM, Cinegain said:

I hate when people say 'that phone? It's clearly an -insert brand- wannabe'. Dude, what are smartphones supposed to look like? Do you want to go back to the Nokia 3310 days just so it's different? Geez. Btw, actually you can, they re-vamped it. Still kinda sad the Craft cinema camera was a hoax. Would've loved a complete modular compact cinema camera system at roughly 2500 bucks.

Exactly, a camera is just a sensor with a lens mount.