Jump to content
Henry Gentles

New Ryzen 8 core 16 thread CPU

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Seems a frigo! (Portuguese word for fridge :-)

Is that a Canon Plotter? LOL

Is it the most powerful solution these days or any other suggestion?

Gracias amigo!

No that is my Canon 16x19 photo printer. The Pro 100, they have the Pro 1000 out now to replace it. And no what I suggested was basically Last years most powerful, or close to it. A New Intel top of the line CPU, the i7 7700 cost around 350 Dollars. The top end MSI 1080 TI  8gb Video card is around, gulp 550 Dollars. There even is one that has 11gb on it. They cost 750 to 800 Dollars. Not sure that extra is really needed unless you make a living being a Colorist, Grader. The 1070, heck even the 1060 will probably be all you really need, if you don't make high end stuff all the time.

And like I said above, you really only need 16gb of memory for Video stuff. But the extra 16gb or more is really not that expensive in this day and age. But you will not see much gain with more like you would if you were gaming.

    não há de quê

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Stab said:

Premiere CC 2017. With CUDA-support enabled so the GPU does lots of work in both real time and exporting.

Yes you are right. GPU's now do most of the "heavy lifting" as they say now in this day and age. They have a CRAZY amount of cores in them, compared to a CPU. It pays to get the best GPU with the most GB on it you can afford with Video Editing. The CPU can be a lesser model and still not be as noticeable as a better GPU can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes you are right. GPU's now do most of the "heavy lifting" as they say now in this day and age. They have a CRAZY amount of cores in them, compared to a CPU. It pays to get the best GPU with the most GB on it you can afford with Video Editing. The CPU can be a lesser model and still not be as noticeable as a better GPU can.

Would not advise that... the consens half a year ago was premiere eats fast clocking cpu preferably with 8 cores.. gpu is "neglegtable", and don´t go lower than 32gb ram... especially after effects renders significantly faster with more ram.. resolve on the other hand relies heavily on gpu and does suggest a 8gb card...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, liork said:

@webrunner5 Some software, like Vegas Pro rely much more on CPU rendering than GPU.

Ahh never knew that. Didn't Sony just sell Vegas Pro?? Resolve is just the opposite. You have to have pretty good GPU HP to run Resolve, especially if you have a bunch of Nodes open.

I really think Blackmagic is a amazing company software and hardware wise as young as they are in the market. They have really done some great things in a damn short time. Canon are YOU listening??

Resolve is a newer product than most others are. Killer GPU's were not that common years ago like they are now. I think the older company's are missing a big opportunity Not using the power the GPU's have now. But I guess they would have to re write their whole code. Probably ain't happening any time soon LoL. :grimace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Ahh never knew that. Didn't Sony just sell Vegas Pro?? Resolve is just the opposite. You have to have pretty good GPU HP to run Resolve, especially if you have a bunch of Nodes open.

I really think Blackmagic is a amazing company software and hardware wise as young as they are in the market. They have really done some great things in a damn short time. Canon are YOU listening??

Resolve is a newer product than most others are. Killer GPU's were not that common years ago like they are now. I think the older company's are missing a big opportunity Not using the power the GPU's have now. But I guess they would have to re write their whole code. Probably ain't happening any time soon LoL. :grimace:

Resolve definitely needs a beefy GPU for a lot of nodes, but certain codecs still run through the CPU for Decode. X-AVC and H264 are processed by the CPU first, there is no GPU based decoding for them. Though I do admit the program is very GPU hungry, it needs cards with at least 4gb vRAM to run smoothly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 1700 mounted, right now overclocked to 3,7Ghz all cores. 35ºC idle, 50-55ºC rendering. It´s really faster than my i7 2600K overclocked to 4,2Ghz.

1610 Points Cinebench R15. I will be editing next week with a new project, more conclusions to come.

I´m very satisfied.

Noctua NH-U12S AM4

Gskill tridentz 3000-cl14 2x8gb overclocked to 3200 cl14

Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3700Mhz all cores

Asus X370 Prime Pro bios 0614

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Santiago de la Rosa said:

Ryzen 1700 mounted, right now overclocked to 3,7Ghz all cores. 35ºC idle, 50-55ºC rendering. It´s really faster than my i7 2600K overclocked to 4,2Ghz.

1610 Points Cinebench R15. I will be editing next week with a new project, more conclusions to come.

I´m very satisfied.

Noctua NH-U12S AM4

Gskill tridentz 3000-cl14 2x8gb overclocked to 3200 cl14

Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3700Mhz all cores

Asus X370 Prime Pro bios 0614

Impressive - I can only get a cinebench score of 1330 with my i79850k OC'd to 4.4ghz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Santiago de la Rosa said:

Ryzen 1700 mounted, right now overclocked to 3,7Ghz all cores. 35ºC idle, 50-55ºC rendering. It´s really faster than my i7 2600K overclocked to 4,2Ghz.

1610 Points Cinebench R15. I will be editing next week with a new project, more conclusions to come.

I´m very satisfied.

Noctua NH-U12S AM4

Gskill tridentz 3000-cl14 2x8gb overclocked to 3200 cl14

Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3700Mhz all cores

Asus X370 Prime Pro bios 0614

That's really impressive... my i7 6700k @ 4ghz only gets 979 points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2017 at 9:47 AM, Emanuel said:

Seems a frigo! (Portuguese word for fridge :-)

Is that a Canon Plotter? LOL

Is it the most powerful solution these days or any other suggestion?

Gracias amigo!

I have no idea if it is the most powerful solution, most likely no way, but it is a very powerful solution for the price. Depends what you need 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't overclock if you don't really have to. It has big impact on stability and durability.

People are often overclocking and then complaining about instable Windows. Software is instable because of instable hardware.

Overclocking is good for gaming, but for workstation not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have run all my PC overclocked since... (can´t remember :))

It´s 1.25v at 3.7Ghz 8cores, with offset, going 0.485v in idle, that´s nothing, temperatures are excellent so noise too.

I´m testing now 3.8Ghz no high gain, and my chip needs 1.30v, it gives me only +1point in Cinebench.

Stability is solid rock, +4 hours Realbench, windows too, just installed the AMD Ryzen Energy plan.

0 problems.

Durability? My last PC was from 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz since 2011, 0 problems. Now it´s working for other person.

Ryzen 1700 gives us a 8 core for the masses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacek said:

Don't overclock if you don't really have to. It has big impact on stability and durability.

People are often overclocking and then complaining about instable Windows. Software is instable because of instable hardware.

Overclocking is good for gaming, but for workstation not so much.

Nonsense - nothing wrong with overclocking if done properly within the manufacturer's limits for voltage and temperature and lots to gain from faster processing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Nonsense - nothing wrong with overclocking if done properly within the manufacturer's limits for voltage and temperature and lots to gain from faster processing. 

Be careful, I had a very expensive 6950X fail, and when Intel asked if I had overclocked, I stated I had set it to run at max rate then downclocked cores to run cool (Noctua/Air cooled). They interpreted that response as max rate meaning I overclocked it beyond Intel max published clock specs (which I did not do) and denied the warranty. After multiple rounds of emails and phones calls with a higher-level manager, they finally did the right thing and replaced the processor. If you exceed max specs and if they can detect if you did so, they'll deny the warranty. They offer an overclock warranty: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/. That said, I've been using Xeons since 2006 and this was the first non-Xeon machine since then and was very surprised it failed so quickly (barely used for 6 weeks, never exceeded 60C in torture testing. For PP CC processing, it never got much past 50C). BTW, the Noctua HSF's are amazing if you don't want to deal with water. Here again is the box I built for 4K editing: 

It's ultra quiet, much quieter than the 2010 MacPro. Now with the latest version of PP CC 2017 and Nvidia drivers, 4K editing is now just barely passable on the 2010 MacPro 980ti in OSX (OK for short edits).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was your maximum Vcore voltage and which control option did you choose for it in the IA tweaker? Intel designs it's chips to be overclocked otherwise they would simply lock them to he stated specs like the the non K or X  models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shirozina said:

What was your maximum Vcore voltage and which control option did you choose for it in the IA tweaker? Intel designs it's chips to be overclocked otherwise they would simply lock them to he stated specs like the the non K or X  models.

Didn't touch voltage. Started at the default core clocks and moved downward until the hot cores matched the rest (I turned the clocks even lower after the original post to keep below 60C max (4.0GHz is max published TurboBoost speed; it ran too hot at that speed (for a production machine) so I slowed down the hot cores)). The CPU died while idling. I guarantee you that Intel does not warrant overclocking the 6950X without their $50 overclocking warranty. Given their marketing and the fact that the chips are unlocked AND thermally protected (they'll down throttle if too hot), I was as surprised as you are. I spoke directly with Intel management. They also asked me to turn down the memory speed to 2400 (max officially supported speed for the 6950X).

http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/Limited_Warranty_8.5x11_for_Web_English.pdf

Specifically:

"any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications, including where clock frequencies or voltages have been altered, or where the original identification markings have been removed, altered or obliterated. Intel assumes no responsibility that the Product, including if used with altered clock frequencies or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose and will not cause any damage or injury."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...