Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vesku said:

I mean the maximum dyn range using iso200-iso400. If the G85 has the same sensor than G85 the GH4 has flatter image in default settings than G85 with idynamic standard.

GX85 (G85) vs GH4 at iso400. GH4 Natural and GX85 Natural+idynamic standard. GH4 is still flatter.

 

 

gx85-GH4.jpg

You have to test both without iDynamic for true comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

Hello, is there a XL speedbooster for Nikon, and does it allow autofocus like the canon one?

is manual focus easy on the GX85 (precise peaking..?)

No autofocus on any Nikon speedbooster, they are purely mechanical with no eletronic contacts at all.

I find peaking working on the GX85 quite well, however the display has to be used instead of the EVF for better results. According to Andrew's review, the EVF of the G80 is much better, so you might consider this camera if you want to benefit from better peaking performance through the EVF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liork said:

You have to test both without iDynamic for true comparison.

This is not my test. I dont have other than GH4. I got those images from GX85 topic. 

Yes a proper test would be have exact the same settings. This shows how much more contrasty the GX85 (G85) is because idynamic increases visible dyn range and GX85 clips still more compared to GH4 without idynamic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cam is great, but I chose the new GX80 for its size, and similar body stabilization etc capabilities.

What I love about the E-M1II is the raw 80MP photos and the 48fps 20MP raw photos you can shoot within a second.  That makes it the best MFT choice, until the GH5 comes out.  And the Olympus body stabilization seems to be even better than the one in the Panasonics cams, probably because they have more years in experience with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Vesku said:

This is not my test. I dont have other than GH4. I got those images from GX85 topic. 

Yes a proper test would be have exact the same settings. This shows how much more contrasty the GX85 (G85) is because idynamic increases visible dyn range and GX85 clips still more compared to GH4 without idynamic.

No, you've got the wrong conclusion. iDynamic in many time does clip highlights in order to show more contrasty image. So the test you brought is misleading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, liork said:

No, you've got the wrong conclusion. iDynamic in many time does clip highlights in order to show more contrasty image. So the test you brought is misleading.

In auto exposure idynamic underexposes 1/3 - 2/3  stops and lifts shadows. In full manual it just lift shadows and highlights remain the same. In GH4 idynamic works manually but in some Pana models it is automatic. GX85/GH4 owner of those images said it clips highlights more than GH4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mercer said:

Nice review, but it really could use an ad or two...

But seriously, I've had the GX85 since August and since then I have tested a few cameras and think I am going to sell it... I haven't yet. If I don't get along with the a6300, maybe I'll just do an upgrade from the GX85 to the G85...

Do you have any recommended profile settings for the G85?

Mercer I think you are going down a similar path that I did.. I bought a D5500, then a GX85 then an a6300. (spoilers: you will sell those last two and then buy an X-T2). 

 

@Andrew it would be nice to see some more artistic videos like you used to do (eg Analogue Christina, Aerogirls, Herdwhite and the RX1 one which doesnt appear to be available anymore) :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Mercer I think you are going down a similar path that I did.. I bought a D5500, then a GX85 then an a6300. (spoilers: you will sell those last two and then buy an X-T2). 

 

@Andrew it would be nice to see some more artistic videos like you used to do (eg Analogue Christina, Aerogirls, Herdwhite and the RX1 one which doesnt appear to be available anymore) :) 

Haha, no XT-2 for me though. I'm getting a BMPCC next. Am keeping D5500 and deciding if I should keep a6300 as well. Heading out today for some tests. So far, I think I like the a6300 better than the GX85, but I've only tested slog2... today I am giving cine2 a test spin. These consumer 4K cameras have to fill a very specific spot for me... the GX85 has the IBIS but the a6300 has the PDAF. The GX85 has the cool push af button while in manual mode. The a6300 is Super 35mm and it has the 120fps... there's always compromises...

Did you use native lenses with the a6300? If so, which ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Haha, no XT-2 for me though. I'm getting a BMPCC next. Am keeping D5500 and deciding if I should keep a6300 as well. Heading out today for some tests. So far, I think I like the a6300 better than the GX85, but I've only tested slog2... today I am giving cine2 a test spin. These consumer 4K cameras have to fill a very specific spot for me... the GX85 has the IBIS but the a6300 has the PDAF. The GX85 has the cool push af button while in manual mode. The a6300 is Super 35mm and it has the 120fps... there's always compromises...

Did you use native lenses with the a6300? If so, which ones?

You should try Slog2 with Slog3 Cine Gamut and color at max, color phase at +6. And I think black gamma at -6. Something like that. That was a superb profile imo. 

I had the 16-50 pancake and the 24mm f1.8. That prime is a beast. My favourite prime ever maybe. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

You should try Slog2 with Slog3 Cine Gamut and color at max, color phase at +6. And I think black gamma at -6. Something like that. That was a superb profile imo. 

I had the 16-50 pancake and the 24mm f1.8. That prime is a beast. My favourite prime ever maybe. 

 

Thanks I'll give them a try... did you leave everything else at default... even the knee? So far I really like the cinema color the best, but I still have a lot of tests to do. That 24mm sounds interesting. How's the manual focus ring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks I'll give them a try... did you leave everything else at default... even the knee? So far I really like the cinema color the best, but I still have a lot of tests to do. That 24mm sounds interesting. How's the manual focus ring?

The focus ring is just a typical fly by wire one with no hard stops or markings. Wouldn't use it. 

Here's the settings.  I'll post some examples if I get a chance at some point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Haha, no XT-2 for me though. I'm getting a BMPCC next. Am keeping D5500 and deciding if I should keep a6300 as well. Heading out today for some tests. So far, I think I like the a6300 better than the GX85, but I've only tested slog2... today I am giving cine2 a test spin. These consumer 4K cameras have to fill a very specific spot for me... the GX85 has the IBIS but the a6300 has the PDAF. The GX85 has the cool push af button while in manual mode. The a6300 is Super 35mm and it has the 120fps... there's always compromises...

Did you use native lenses with the a6300? If so, which ones?

 

Get the BMPCC. Trust me. It supersedes any image you can get out of the GX85, X-T2, A6300/A6500. That's not to say those cameras aren't capable, because they are, but the BMPCC is light-years ahead in image quality.

Get a x0.58 Speed Booster, and pair it up with either Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS, and you'll love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

 

Get the BMPCC. Trust me. It supersedes any image you can get out of the GX85, X-T2, A6300/A6500. That's not to say those cameras aren't capable, because they are, but the BMPCC is light-years ahead in image quality.

Get a x0.58 Speed Booster, and pair it up with either Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS, and you'll love it.

Oh yeah I'm definitely getting the BMPCC, I just like to have a couple cameras for different purposes. I already got the Nikon Metabones because I have a bunch of old Nikkors and Tokina Nikon glass... plus some old c-mounts. I also picked up a Camtree Cage for it last week... I'm just waiting for a check to come in and then I'll order the pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jase said:

I find peaking working on the GX85 quite well, however the display has to be used instead of the EVF for better results. According to Andrew's review, the EVF of the G80 is much better, so you might consider this camera if you want to benefit from better peaking performance through the EVF.

Not a fan, myself. The GX85 does not have a good EVF for continuous use when compared to the competition...and apparently the G80.

Next to my EM5II and the peaking on that camera, it's a disappointment.  Kind of the only bad thing about that camera though. 

If you're going to do a lot of EVF filming, I'd recommend against the GX85.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...