Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Recommended Posts

Still curious to know what the quality of1080p ( recorded in 1080p mode) at 24 fps is like on the G85. (sorry to interupt the GX85 / GH4 discussions)

Also wondering if anyone knows of an eyepiece that might adapt for it ? That's really important for me when I upgrade my GH2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, jonpais said:

And I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what battery life is for video on G85. 

With IBIS ON, not so great.

Probably the same as GX80; without Stabilization is OK, but IBIS and WIFI conection kill battery badly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, never mind about the battery life. How about firmware update v1.1? I downloaded the zip file and extracted the bin and copied it onto my SD card, inserted it into my fully charged camera, turned the camera on and hit play and - nothing! it just says no pictures to play or something. What am I doing wrong?

 

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.16.40 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people on DP Review are reporting that the quality of1080p on the GX85 isn't the best, so I'm wondering if anyone has found this to be true, and is it the same with the G85?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Some people on DP Review are reporting that the quality of1080p on the GX85 isn't the best, so I'm wondering if anyone has found this to be true, and is it the same with the G85?

Can't say for the G85, and I just got my GX85, but on a 4K camera I never shoot in 1080p unless I need slomo and in that case it's not a big deal if it's a little soft as the slo-mo I shoot (unless I'm renting a seriously capable rig) is going to be for dreamy stuff anyway. 

If you plan to work in 1080p, do yourself a huge favour, shoot in 4K and use something like EditReady to transcode to 1080p ProRes as part of your ingest step (possibly applying Andrew's excellent LUTs at the same time). You'll end up with roughly equivalent to 4:4:4 colour and the downsampling will increase sharpness and decrease noise by a lot. You get basically 4x oversampled 1080p (2x horizontal, 2x vertical) for your trouble, and not horribly greater file sizes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having an up to date computer, or 4K screen, is really holding me back from 4K recording at the moment, and also learning Edit ready, New computer, New Camera, ProRes, etc, all at the samw time would probably do my head in. Anyway if I can be convinced that Panasonic 1080p has improved since the GH2, I'll get the G80 for IBIS and 4K for the future. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Edit ready is great software. It's free for clips up to 1 minute. A baby could learn how to use it in 10 sec.

2. Unless your computer is super old, you probably won't need a new one for editing on a 1080p timeline.

3. I spent all night looking for good sample 1080p clips from either the GX or G cameras. Couldn't find any. If I had a lens, I'd shoot some for you here and now.

4. Can't anyone here please just shoot something in 1080p and upload it? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for looking Jon, but yeah there's not much out there to look at, and some people are saying that 1080p on the new line of G/GX cameras isn't the best.

When I used to patch my GH2, my 6 year old little old Lenovo G560 handled it just. So I might look into Edit ready. Cheers. 

,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

 I'll get the G80 for IBIS and 4K for the future. Thanks.

If you are not using the 4k features for now I think you are wasting your money. Purchase a 4k camera when you actually want to record in 4k.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my GH4 3 years ago with the intention of shooting 4K and delivering in HD, and that's what I'd been doing up until just a couple months ago, when I miraculously discovered I could edit 4K in the timeline. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Not having an up to date computer, or 4K screen, is really holding me back from 4K recording at the moment, and also learning Edit ready, New computer, New Camera, ProRes, etc, all at the samw time would probably do my head in. Anyway if I can be convinced that Panasonic 1080p has improved since the GH2, I'll get the G80 for IBIS and 4K for the future. Thanks.

I believe Jase shoots his videos in 1080p... or at least his earlier GX80 stuff was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Thanks for looking Jon, but yeah there's not much out there to look at, and some people are saying that 1080p on the new line of G/GX cameras isn't the best.

When I used to patch my GH2, my 6 year old little old Lenovo G560 handled it just. So I might look into Edit ready. Cheers. 

,

 

Here you go! Thanks Mercer!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...