Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

Still curious to know what the quality of1080p ( recorded in 1080p mode) at 24 fps is like on the G85. (sorry to interupt the GX85 / GH4 discussions)

Also wondering if anyone knows of an eyepiece that might adapt for it ? That's really important for me when I upgrade my GH2. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Okay, never mind about the battery life. How about firmware update v1.1? I downloaded the zip file and extracted the bin and copied it onto my SD card, inserted it into my fully charged camera, turned the camera on and hit play and - nothing! it just says no pictures to play or something. What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.16.40 PM.png

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Some people on DP Review are reporting that the quality of1080p on the GX85 isn't the best, so I'm wondering if anyone has found this to be true, and is it the same with the G85?

Can't say for the G85, and I just got my GX85, but on a 4K camera I never shoot in 1080p unless I need slomo and in that case it's not a big deal if it's a little soft as the slo-mo I shoot (unless I'm renting a seriously capable rig) is going to be for dreamy stuff anyway. 

If you plan to work in 1080p, do yourself a huge favour, shoot in 4K and use something like EditReady to transcode to 1080p ProRes as part of your ingest step (possibly applying Andrew's excellent LUTs at the same time). You'll end up with roughly equivalent to 4:4:4 colour and the downsampling will increase sharpness and decrease noise by a lot. You get basically 4x oversampled 1080p (2x horizontal, 2x vertical) for your trouble, and not horribly greater file sizes. 

Not having an up to date computer, or 4K screen, is really holding me back from 4K recording at the moment, and also learning Edit ready, New computer, New Camera, ProRes, etc, all at the samw time would probably do my head in. Anyway if I can be convinced that Panasonic 1080p has improved since the GH2, I'll get the G80 for IBIS and 4K for the future. Thanks.

1. Edit ready is great software. It's free for clips up to 1 minute. A baby could learn how to use it in 10 sec.

2. Unless your computer is super old, you probably won't need a new one for editing on a 1080p timeline.

3. I spent all night looking for good sample 1080p clips from either the GX or G cameras. Couldn't find any. If I had a lens, I'd shoot some for you here and now.

4. Can't anyone here please just shoot something in 1080p and upload it? ?

Thanks for looking Jon, but yeah there's not much out there to look at, and some people are saying that 1080p on the new line of G/GX cameras isn't the best.

When I used to patch my GH2, my 6 year old little old Lenovo G560 handled it just. So I might look into Edit ready. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Not having an up to date computer, or 4K screen, is really holding me back from 4K recording at the moment, and also learning Edit ready, New computer, New Camera, ProRes, etc, all at the samw time would probably do my head in. Anyway if I can be convinced that Panasonic 1080p has improved since the GH2, I'll get the G80 for IBIS and 4K for the future. Thanks.

I believe Jase shoots his videos in 1080p... or at least his earlier GX80 stuff was. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Thanks for looking Jon, but yeah there's not much out there to look at, and some people are saying that 1080p on the new line of G/GX cameras isn't the best.

When I used to patch my GH2, my 6 year old little old Lenovo G560 handled it just. So I might look into Edit ready. Cheers. 

Here you go! Thanks Mercer!