Upgrade from T2i to DMC-GX80 / DMC-G7

OveNorway

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I used a T2i as a B cam on my latest short with the visioncolor and visiontech color profiles and magic lantern (for the zebras, peaking and 1.3x bitrate) , and I have to say I was very impressed.
I think you should keep the T2i as a B cam (the only thing I dont like is the highlights clipping that is very unpleasant (even compared to my AF100)).
Magic lantern is a huge plus, and this camera is still very usable. I just dont like the canon mount as it can only adapt M42 lenses with its huge flange distance :s
Then save up to add another camera, but having a B-Cam is always usefull :) (but again, it depends on what you plan to shoot)

You're trading in a constant f/2.8 for a f/3.5-5.6 on a smaller sensor camera... so uh... video quality and features goes ahead for sure, but you're going backwards with your lens selection, athough the range is nice. Not sure, of course also depends on what you're using it for and the kind of flexibility you need. If you shoot a lot of bright outdoor scenes with deep depth of field... that might just work just fine. If it's in the budget and you don't mind a chunky lens and/or shoot locked off the 18-35mm f/1.8 Sigma is the unbeatable choice for a little more oompf, especially boosted. Otherwise... go primes? Nice vintage Nikon Nikkor, Canon FD, Pentax Takumar, etc selection in combination with the GX80's sensor stabilization?

I will say that after picking up another Canon dslr, I am happy to use the form factor again. They just fit well in your hands, the GX85 is a little small without a proper grip, but the IQ is amazing. A little less organic than the Canon t2i but definitely sharper with tons more resolution.

I think the are quite different. I have a GX85 and I used to have a 7D and a 700D(T5i). The colours and the look of the Canons is something I like a lot. They tend to look good without having to mess around in the edit suite. The GX85 doesn't have that look but it does have 4k which looks pretty good on a 1080 timeline. The 1080 has 50p which is great for have a bit of flexibility with slomo. The stabiliser is fantastic but the sound is awful. The m4/3 lenses are so lightweight! Canon lenses seem so heavy now! I think you would need a fast lens with the GX85. The Gx85 is also tiny which can be good and bad. I couldn't imagine rigging one up like people do to the Canons!

The G7 is very nice in your hands. It is like a little baby DSLR. The GX80 is newer so probably better video, but it costs more and doesn't feel nice to hold for me.

Either are very compact especially if you use Panny or Oly lenses. If you really do want a 3.5-5.6 12mm-24mm lens you should be able to get the good Panny 12-32mm pancake lens in a kit with the G7 or GX80.

But most people would recommend getting body only with the Panny 12-35mm constant 2.8, or the Sigma with Speed booster option (both much more expensive). 

If you dont need a fast lens much the 12-32 with the 35-100mm 4-5.6 (might be able to get both of these lenses in a kit) and the Olympus 45mm 1.8 is a good kit imo (will probably get a fast prime between 17-25mm too). Total cost approx. £640 all new except the Panny lens which was bought used but as good as new.

It seems that GX80 is more for people who need stabalisation. And the G7 is better ergonomically (fully articulating screen, nice dials etc...). You may miss Canon colours but at least you will have 4K video. Keep an eye out for Panasonic cashback offers (they currently have a £100 one).

I used to love the colours and general image from my 600d (t3i?) with or without Technicolor Cinestyle. If you dont need 4k maybe just upgrade to a newer Canon or look at the Canon XC10. If it was me I would go for a Panny to be future proof in terms of resolution and you can use nearly all lenses. The colour is still decent enough. The strange bright green and red on GH4 seems to of improved.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Who knows?  Not sure what type of shooting you're looking to accomplish.  The T2i might be perfectly adequate for you.

FWIW, I own two GX80/85's and like 'em just fine.  You'll get better image quality out of the LUMIX.

Exactly. Without knowing what you're shooting, who can say which camera is best for your needs? And what 12-24mm lens are you referring to? To the best of my knowledge, the camera comes equipped with a 12-32mm lens. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

yes there is still reasons.... it is dirt cheap! :) Even cheaper than what a G80 will be when announced.

Looks like the main differerence will be "the g80 camera will record 4K at 4:2:2 8bit on internal SD cards", whereas I believe the G7 does 4:2:0 8bit. I have no idea what difference that will make? But bigger numbers are usually good. I know nothing about this kind of stuff but have read more people talking about the jump from 8bit to 10bit being a big deal (e.g. V-Log L being crap unless exported at 10bit, and the GH5 is romoured to be getting the 10bit 422). Will be interesting to see the tests. My G7 was only £299 last week and people were still buying them on eBay for around £100 more used, so it should be cheap to upgrade if the IQ diffence is great.

I am sure 95% of people on here already known this but I had forgotten so went to check what all the 444, 422, 420 business is. Simple explanation: 

and a very simple comparsson, which basically confirms higher numbers is more accurate detail (ì looked at his hair): 

6 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

Ooooooooooooooooo thanks, i thought contax and olympus needed a Lens modification. I'll try adapting some Pentax lenses I have lying around 

Pentax lenses are some of the most overlooked lenses, when in reality they are unbelievably nice lenses... Are dirt cheap and probably have the best focus rings of any lenses I have used. Visually I believe they're as good as their Nikkor counterparts. 

Btw, the Pentax forums have an awesome review database for Pentax lenses, plus any third party lenses that came in a Pentax mount... Which are a lot. It's a great lens research resource. 

3 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

Looks like the main differerence will be "the g80 camera will record 4K at 4:2:2 8bit on internal SD cards", whereas I believe the G7 does 4:2:0 8bit. I have no idea what difference that will make? But bigger numbers are usually good. I know nothing about this kind of stuff but have read more people talking about the jump from 8bit to 10bit being a big deal (e.g. V-Log L being crap unless exported at 10bit, and the GH5 is romoured to be getting the 10bit 422). Will be interesting to see the tests. My G7 was only £299 last week and people were still buying them on eBay for around £100 more used, so it should be cheap to upgrade if the IQ diffence is great.

I am sure 95% of people on here already known this but I had forgotten so went to check what all the 444, 422, 420 business is. Simple explanation: 

and a very simple comparsson, which basically confirms higher numbers is more accurate detail (ì looked at his hair): 

Both cameras record 4:2:0 internally. The biggest advantage of the GX85 is IBIS. The footage from both cameras is identical.

I like the look of Pentax lenses, but their backwards focus rings really put me off. Same reason I can't do Nikkors.