Jump to content
瞿盛龙

Kinefinity 2016 Nian new product launches

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/15/2016 at 7:33 AM, richg101 said:

BRAVO!   I sense a lot of the moaners will have gone quiet right about now.  this little sucker will fit inside forbes70!

Yes but what's the point if no medium format lenses will give you any image characteristics better than a FF35 lens on a FF35 or focalreducer+S35 camera??  (besides resolution, which disappears with a groundglass adapter)

I'm very close to canceling my Scarlet-W preorder in favor of a Kinefinity Terra 5K, but let's see what NAB brings first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I put a preorder in for the Terra 5k back on April 2nd it looks like this is shaping up to be a nice camera. I had preorder a Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k but was pissed off when Grant made the statement they couldn't add a global shutter but hey if you need it you can just buy the 4k mini. So I cancelled after waiting 8 months, Adorama called to charge my credit card and I told them I'll just cancel and wait till after NAB. I'm sure they'll announce a few new cameras in a few days anyway. Back to the subject at hand if the image is on par with the footage posted earlier from the other cameras then I'm sold. I'm a DIT and sound guy so whatever camera I get in mainly for personal projects and my two corporate clients back in the states. 

Plus looking at the basic package you get everything need to shot right out the box just add lenses! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all very subjective, but the reason I'm excited about future Kine cameras is that to me the images coming out of the Kine sensors all have a nice matte like characteristic as opposed to the glossy feel of a lot of modern cameras. Feels very organic and cinematic. I know those words get thrown around a lot, sometimes to the point of wanting to claw your eyes out sometimes, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WyattMaurer said:

This is all very subjective, but the reason I'm excited about future Kine cameras is that to me the images coming out of the Kine sensors all have a nice matte like characteristic as opposed to the glossy feel of a lot of modern cameras.

Agreed. Their cameras don't try to do too much. (And I was there for the Tom Antos Kinemax test posted earlier in the thread). On the Kinemax the menus were very straightforward, responsive. The color science gives a nice flat image that's ready for grading. No wonky "Sony colors", no BS. There were some issues with that camera, though, as Tom pointed out in the video.

I believe the team at Kine are working overtime on the engineering side to add features and solve issues. But the biggest question mark before I pay that much cash (admittedly much less than similarly-spec'ed cameras) is whether the box is production ready? Does it work in the cold and in the snow? In the Rain? In blistering heat? How reliable is it? That's the $5000 question that separates the Terra and, say, a used Sony F5, or Epic Dragon. If it were priced to compete with the Ursa Mini 4.6k I'd be ready to buy, but in that FS7 range the reputation of the company, and resale value does carry a little more weight. That said, the Terra looks very promising. I want one. Or, at least, to test one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah certainly any physical limitations or internal limitations of the camera would be a concern and are as of yet unknown.  It still seems a bit impossible that they fit pretty much all the features anyone has ever asked RED for into a smaller lighter body for half the price and a third the power consumption.  But if they deliver then I wouldn't be too worried about resale value since the market for Kinefinity cameras will explode anyway.  Of course it would likely take 1-2 years for them to catch on as is the case with any new disruptive camera equipment.  Until then it's true I would worry about support and about sourcing additional bodies or owner-operators for projects, but fortunately I work in a location with a well sized market so it's never really that hard, but I could see it being a concern for people who don't live in big cities or in countries with big film/tv markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28-3-2016 at 3:09 PM, DBounce said:

They need to stop going after Red and Arri and focus on bringing out something affordable enough so that people will pick one up out of curiosity. That way they can build a reputation. Especially if the new cameras are bang for the buck stars.

That's exactly what they are doing...

19 hours ago, WyattMaurer said:

This is all very subjective, but the reason I'm excited about future Kine cameras is that to me the images coming out of the Kine sensors all have a nice matte like characteristic as opposed to the glossy feel of a lot of modern cameras. Feels very organic and cinematic. I know those words get thrown around a lot, sometimes to the point of wanting to claw your eyes out sometimes, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Perfect description, I'm going to remember that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, out of curiosity, I heard the terra sensor is the same as the kinemax sensor? So like a crop of it? Does that mean the custom speedbooster is not quite full frame? I think in the kinemax, it speedboosts to about 1.1x? Not that it would be much of a downside, and I may have my facts screwed up, just wondering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Liam said:

So, out of curiosity, I heard the terra sensor is the same as the kinemax sensor? So like a crop of it? Does that mean the custom speedbooster is not quite full frame? I think in the kinemax, it speedboosts to about 1.1x? Not that it would be much of a downside, and I may have my facts screwed up, just wondering

Terra 6K is the same sensor as the KineMax $6000

Terra 5K is a new sensor that includes global shutter. $5000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2016 at 10:54 AM, Noah Yuan-Vogel said:

Yeah certainly any physical limitations or internal limitations of the camera would be a concern and are as of yet unknown.  It still seems a bit impossible that they fit pretty much all the features anyone has ever asked RED for into a smaller lighter body for half the price and a third the power consumption.  But if they deliver then I wouldn't be too worried about resale value since the market for Kinefinity cameras will explode anyway.  Of course it would likely take 1-2 years for them to catch on as is the case with any new disruptive camera equipment.  Until then it's true I would worry about support and about sourcing additional bodies or owner-operators for projects, but fortunately I work in a location with a well sized market so it's never really that hard, but I could see it being a concern for people who don't live in big cities or in countries with big film/tv markets.

Well apparently the red raven is very small , considering that this camera is somewhere between a scarlet-W and a red raven for the spec , Kinefinety form factor seem plausible .
I guess the fan will go nuts in high speed but you don t need sound in high speed anyway .
About electricity consumption ...well have a look between a black magic pocket and a GH4 ...everything is possible .

Red is also a very marketed brand, the founder is the guy who made the oakley sunglasses , they apply the same kind of communication , like ** hey you are not cool if you don t have a red ** , you pay for the brand name . (But they still do great cameras)

It s 2016, arri and RED are still using their old form factor because of cost and compatibility I guess .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Laurier said:

It s 2016, arri and RED are still using their old form factor because of cost and compatibility I guess .

The Arri Alexa MINI and the Red DSMC2 bodies are not that old, unless you are considering 2015 models old. It's obvious that kinfinity took design cues from both Arri and RED so if it's about style... Kinfinity hasn't done anything new.

But it's true about RED keeping the body same only to sell more of the parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mkabi said:

The Arri Alexa MINI and the Red DSMC2 bodies are not that old, unless you are considering 2015 models old. It's obvious that kinfinity took design cues from both Arri and RED so if it's about style... Kinfinity hasn't done anything new.

Of course, but I mean they still sell and update the old alexa models . And for red they are probably still a bit bigger because it s cheaper to keep manufacturing the bodies this way and stay compatible with third parties accessories.

If you are new on the market you don t have to follow older guideline for design .

But a box camera is really nothing new I agree .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Laurier said:

 

Why are the buttons crooked? Yes some might call this nitpicky, but if QC let something so obviously visible slip through... somethings that is external and would clearly be noticed,  then one had to wonder what defects slipped pass QC on the interior of the camera. 

Imo, if you're showing up to play you should bring your A-game. This looks sloppy and makes me question their QC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Why are the buttons crooked? Yes some might call this nitpicky, but if QC let something so obviously visible slip through... somethings that is external and would clearly be noticed,  then one had to wonder what defects slipped pass QC on the interior of the camera. 

Imo, if you're showing up to play you should bring your A-game. This looks sloppy and makes me question their QC.

Mind giving a time code on that? Cant see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...