Jump to content
Nikkor

Sony a6300 4k

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes it does

Best to shoot 4K with it even for 1080p delivery

Bottom shot S-LOG 3? Off-colour bands in the sky

S-LOG 2 all the way with this camera!

Yes, Gordon Laing notes that this was S-Log 3. (Hope he doesn't mind I did this.... Thank you, Mr. Laing!)

Also, I know nothing about grading S-Log, and just bumped the contrast/saturation to get a rough match. I didn't know enough to watch for the banding issue (and shadow noise), so thanks for mentioning that.

I'm really curious to see how 60p on the A6300 stacks up against that from other cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KrisAK, I don't think HD straight out of camera qualifies as full readout, which assumes reading full 6K sensor(cutting only top and bottom section to get down to a proper aspect ratio) and then do a proper scaling to 2K/1080p. If it was the case, there should be no difference in sharpness between HD out of the camera and downscale to HD from 4K footage, also rolling shutter should be as bad as 4K(it takes roughly 30ms to read the whole sensor).

I am not an expert and have limited experience with low level of hardware(I am an ex physicist), but if I have to guess there is some low level logic on a CMOS sensor level which combines all those pixel together to produces HD footage. So scaling is not done by the CPU, but by the sensor itself. Initially we had line skipping, then pixel binning, and now I think it might be a bit more sophisticated, but still not a proper downscale you could archive by computers in whatever editing software you use. So despite all pixels been used I don't think it qualifies as full readout(no one calls binning the full readout, this is just extension of it).

Feel free to correct me if someone knows more technical background on sensors. This is just my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Who expected the 1080p to be 6K to HD Lanzos Downsample in-camera? 

Sure 4K is the best for HD. As on every other rival, 1DC/1DXII/NX1/A7RII/GH4, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's getting so tiresome waiting on a good aps-c mirrorless video camera. 

will this be another "maybe they fix it the next update" camera?

Maybe I should just go for the g7 for the time being...nothing special about it, but what is there seem to work as it should. When is sony being released? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jagnje said:

It's getting so tiresome waiting on a good aps-c mirrorless video camera. 

will this be another "maybe they fix it the next update" camera?

Maybe I should just go for the g7 for the time being...nothing special about it, but what is there seem to work as it should. When is sony being released? 

There is always going to be something. Just have to settle.

My favorite retailer says 11/3. So not to long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jagnje said:

True...it is a 1000€ camera, but it is pretty anoying that something like 1080/60p gets overlooked. We will know in a week I guess.

It's also aimed squarely at the hybrid market, there are amazing crop frame cameras avaliable right now as well as coming in the near future, Ursa 4.6k is looking like the best bang for buck, but for a camera to appeal to photographers as well, compromises have to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The catch is crappy 1080.   One of  the things I've enjoyed with the rx100 is being able to use this one tiny camera at all its "native" framerates with no caveats. (and the extended 250 fps in the right circumstances).   So much to like about the 6300 but the 1080 quality means it's not for me :(  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Who expected the 1080p to be 6K to HD Lanzos Downsample in-camera? 

Sure 4K is the best for HD. As on every other rival, 1DC/1DXII/NX1/A7RII/GH4, 

But not if you need 60p. That's my primary use, with an occasional need for 4K.

And I do remember tech reviews at DVInfo saying that the internal 60p HD on the A7s, internally downsampled from 4K, was some of the best they'd seen; it never occurred to me that the A6300 might be a step backwards, if indeed that's the case. (I wonder if an external recorder circumvents any of this?)

Of course, I don't want to read too much into that single sample, and am hoping to see more at 60p, though it looks like most reviewers are focusing on 4K or 120fps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KrisAK said:

But not if you need 60p. That's my primary use, with an occasional need for 4K.

And I do remember tech reviews at DVInfo saying that the internal 60p HD on the A7s, internally downsampled from 4K, was some of the best they'd seen; it never occurred to me that the A6300 might be a step backwards, if indeed that's the case. (I wonder if an external recorder circumvents any of this?)

Of course, I don't want to read too much into that single sample, and am hoping to see more at 60p, though it looks like most reviewers are focusing on 4K or 120fps.

Why not just get the A7S used then? It isn't much more expensive.

The 1080/60p is good in APS-C mode on the A7S. Excellent in fact.

Not much good in full frame mode though.

The D5500 and D750 also shoot very good 1080/60p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 4, 2016 at 9:46 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Panasonic's DFD autofocus has also been shown to be faster and more accurate than any other current mirrorless.

Man, let's be real about DFD.  

The emperor has no clothes in CDAF - Panasonic pushed it to the limits, but you can't hide from the delay or the ugliness of zip-zip-lock.  There are a lot of videos showing it's shortcomings, from Tony N., to Max Y., camera store guys, and others, next to other cameras.  

It may be good enough for straight stills, but DFD is some kind of bad when left to it's own devices in video.  

The A6000 was definitely not slow next to it when I used them both, and if the A6300 is better, more power to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2016 at 3:55 PM, benymypony said:

Banding and macroblocking in sky on the graded frame.
This appears when I converted S-Log 3 to LC709 using DaVinci Resolve included LUT.

Sorry but that is poor grading. There is no banding in the footage. There is noise and macroblocking when pushed too much, but I'm surpriced how good it actually holds up for 8 bit.

no_banding_01.thumb.jpg.1aab534d736e6289

no_banding_02.thumb.jpg.c89e7362dbbfea05

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why not just get the A7S used then? It isn't much more expensive.

The 1080/60p is good in APS-C mode on the A7S. Excellent in fact.

Not much good in full frame mode though.

The D5500 and D750 also shoot very good 1080/60p.

I didn't know that, to use the A7S in APS-C mode for 1080/60p. Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bunk said:

Sorry but that is poor grading. There is no banding in the footage. There is noise and macroblocking when pushed too much, but I'm surpriced how good it actually holds up for 8 bit.

Yes, my fault ! I used the wrong file (the H.264 and not the original .MOV as I thought...) :expressionless:
I made another test of color grading and no macroblocking or banding. Also this time I have not used a LUT to "delog" but I did it manually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an hoya uv & ir cut filter that i use on my bmpcc to help get a cleaner image especially when using a nd filter. Will it be necessary to use that filter also on the a6300 or does the censor already have and ir cut ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swiss said:

I have an hoya uv & ir cut filter that i use on my bmpcc to help get a cleaner image especially when using a nd filter. Will it be necessary to use that filter also on the a6300 or does the censor already have and ir cut ?

 

It's funny because I don't get the IR pollution that people claim comes from that camera. I think it just depends on the week of manufacturing. I doubt this will be the case on an A6300, which is not really a cinema camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...