5 underrated cinematic images from "forgotten" cameras

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC_02681.jpg

Some of my favourite images are from cinema cameras and DSLRs from which attention has long since drifted elsewhere!

Rest assured some of the older cameras on this list are better than any of the latest and greatest (if not in terms of usability then in terms of having an analogue film-like feel that screams "cinema" and not "digital").

Here are my top 5.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You should probably note that in 2009, CF cards were nowhere close to the required size or speed for raw recording.

I miss my 5DIII every day though, regret trading it up for the paper specs of the A7s. My brother has a 5DII, will have to get ML loaded onto it.

• Super Members

Great write up.

5Dii, had one. If anything its probably the most comfortable DSLR I ever held in my hands. (second and third is the Nx1 and D750).

I still adore my BMCC 2.5K. I remember how the size once was an issue, quite funny today.
And with just a Zacuto Top Handle and quick plate for the tripod or a Rigg made from scrap pieces its actually a light little thing.

The F35 is magic imo. I am so getting one sooner or later. It wasn't in the stars just yet but Im hoping it will still drop some more.

1DC is a camera I have yet to try. But since Ive used plenty of C-Log, other canons, etc I feel I can imagine how I would like it. And I think it would be a lot.

The Red One is still new in my house. Its like getting a puppy. You like it but its also a learning curve. Lots of love with some pee on the floor :)

• Administrators

Great write up.

5Dii, had one. If anything its probably the most comfortable DSLR I ever held in my hands. (second and third is the Nx1 and D750).

Those are so comfortable. Great ergonomics.

The 5D Mark III added nothing of real note over the Mark II. The old camera is the very definition of a modern classic.

I still adore my BMCC 2.5K. I remember how the size once was an issue, quite funny today.
And with just a Zacuto Top Handle and quick plate for the tripod or a Rigg made from scrap pieces its actually a light little thing.

So much room for the monitor in it. And it was a crap monitor :) They should have another go with that model. Would be wonderful second time out.

The F35 is magic imo. I am so getting one sooner or later. It wasn't in the stars just yet but Im hoping it will still drop some more.

1DC is a camera I have yet to try. But since Ive used plenty of C-Log, other canons, etc I feel I can imagine how I would like it. And I think it would be a lot.

The Red One is still new in my house. Its like getting a puppy. You like it but its also a learning curve. Lots of love with some pee on the floor :)

Was it from the Jim Jannard puppy rescue home?

The 5D Mark III added nothing of real note over the Mark II. The old camera is the very definition of a modern classic.

5D3 has continuous 720p 60fps raw (and 1080p 60fps bursts) Also the ability to do uncropped full frame (1920x1290, ~3:2 aspect). The 2k crop mode is useful as well.

Actually I think the BM Micro CC sounds really good with the option of Global Shutter as well as 60fps with rolling shutter. In combination with using LP-E6 batteries it's an amazing upgrade over the BMPCC when anyway using external monitoring. But the BMD release behaviour and zero communication makes this one nothing to count on. By the moment they halfway fixed the firmware problems there is already a successor announced. If the BMMCC would even have been designed with the 2.5k sensor to help with end-resolution and stabilizing, etc. I think it would have been a great thing, it's probably an amazing camera for gimbal work if it ever gets released.

Edit: on the other hand I guess most people would usually rather shoot ProRes than Raw and then the 2.5k sensor probably has no advantage over the current 1080p anymore

Andrew, you forced me to register here and think about selling 70D and buy used 5D2. I want buy 5D3 later, but I cant afford it now. Reason, why I'm thinking about selling my new 70D...

Cons of 70D:

• moiré/aliasing (absolutely terrible - I don't understand why everyone says it is video DSLR with super video features while it's moiré/aliasing and codec is terrible and final video is simply unuasble)
  • high ISO ugly noise (320 is top usable ISO)
  • APS-C
  • ML still in beta and usable RAW resolution 1856×790 gives me only 13 sec (still usable, but I prefer 1920)

Pros of 70D

• fast AF, control and response
  • rotating display (touch display is nice, but I'm barely using it)
  • it fits to my hand really well, it's not heavy and build quality is very nice
  • picture quality is amazing (but still APS-C)

So 5D2 should do better work with RAW video, but same with h.264 video and probably should be slower in photography. But it is FF.

I have dilemma.