£150 Arriflex lenses on the GH5

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Beautiful vintage look. Would you mind shooting a quick video with IBIS turned on to see a combination of an old lens and stabilized image. It would be interesting to see how it flares too. Pretty tempted by GH5 I have to say, still clinging on 5D3 RAW. 

Are you planning full GH5 review?

Dope! Vintage usually has some romantic quirkiness to it, can't help but to love it. :grin:

Somebody recently mentioned  http://www.ebay.com/usr/ironglassadapters / https://www.facebook.com/Ironglassadapters-180601889122103 / http://ironglassadapters.com . Thought that was quite interesting as well. Quirky character, cinemodded and affordable.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, buggz said:

But the Ironglass optics are not really anamorphics, just oval iris.

Not really understanding...

You can get great results with the wire insert for horizontal flare and the oval iris. Look at the prices then you will understand and appreciate it...

Note that Schneider's Arriflex mount lenses don't officially cover Super 16 (the equivalent of a 1" sensor), but only 4:3 16mm film (the equivalent of a 2/3" sensor). From 25mm onwards, lenses will cover the sensor without crass vignetting, but the left and right corners will be outside the official image circle and therefore blurry.

These look awesome. I almost bought a large kit of these alongside a 16mm film camera but my friend has an SRII so I just couldn't justify it.

Still don't need them so I probably made the right choice passing on them, but.... wow that bokeh looks cool. I know DPs who shoot Cooke S2/S3s when they can't use anamorphic because it has some texture to it that looks good in motion. Similar rendering to this. Look at the prices of Super Baltars and Cookes. A coveted look.

I'll probably get torched by half of the comments for saying this but I think the Schneider beats the Olympus wide open in sheer character and texture.

Sure the Olympus is sharper but at 10x the price, it should be. But the real problem is the rendering, as you said.

With the Olympus, there is a plastic sheen to the sharpness of the image, where as with the Schneider, there is an organic softness to the image... yet sharp enough. By f/2... how much sharper would you really need.

The shot of your "daft dog" is quite beautiful. And possibly one of the best samples I have seen from the GH5. Was that a screen grab or a photo?

Thanks for this, the GH5 may actually be back on my radar. I've been shooting at some pretty epic locations for my 5D3 film and I was thinking about bringing a 4K camera along for some stock video footage...

I look forward to see how the summer FW update does. Any word on when that's expected?

Also e-m1 Mark ii vs. GH5... any chance of an in depth comparison review?

@mercer I think your wrong, wrong, wrong! :) hahaha. The pictures look beautiful, and that's not something I usually say about shots of flowers and dogs. 

FWIW, I really wanted to like the Olympus 25mm f/1.2, I've shot quite a bit with it, but I just couldn't warm up to it. I'll probably give it another go some day, but it just doesn't do much for me.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Also e-m1 Mark ii vs. GH5... any chance of an in depth comparison review?

Yes.

Obviously the GH5 has the edge on the codec side with 10bit and it has slow-mo.

Nearly everything else is better on the Olympus though, including the general 'feel' when using it.

What is surprising about both is just how good the colour and skintones are... Canon have competition.

I know I will keep both as they are too hard to sell...

Obviously with the GH5 I don't absolutely need the E-M1 II but there is something about it that's compelling... a nicer feel in the hand and slightly better stabilisation with 90% of the video quality of the GH5.

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes.

Obviously the GH5 has the edge on the codec side with 10bit and it has slow-mo.

Nearly everything else is better on the Olympus though, including the general 'feel' when using it.

What is surprising about both is just how good the colour and skintones are... Canon have competition.

I know I will keep both as they are too hard to sell...

Obviously with the GH5 I don't absolutely need the E-M1 II but there is something about it that's compelling... a nicer feel in the hand and slightly better stabilisation with 90% of the video quality of the GH5.

Thanks, I watched a comparison video on Vimeo and it seemed the GH5 just beats the EM1mk2 with DR, but the Olympus 5-axis easily beats the GH5. I briefly had the em5mk2 and I found the 5-axis was a lot better than the IBIS on the GX85. With a half stop better, I assume the EM1mk2 is insane. I have seen some videos where it almost can replace a steadicam for short movements, have you found any truth to that with your practical experience?

But then again... 10bit 4K in the GH5. If the Olympus were $500 cheaper, it would be a no brainer... maybe the em10mk3 will be a suitable in betweener. 

Oh yeah, how's the 1080p on the EM1 II?

• 2 months later...

Nice on this Andrew.

Excited to see Gh5's handling of more 16mm glass.  Looks like there was no vignette at 16:9?

The Angenieux 5.9mm is a gorgeous ultra wide-angle lens.

Lots of beautiful 16mm glass.

Want to see ISO performance of GH5 vs Blackmagic Micro or Ursa Mini 4.6k in 2k mode.  Assume that the GH5 will be good even at 1600 ISO, compared to the Ursa mini 4.6k that falls apart at 800 ASA when in 2k mode.

Excited to test this guy out

• Administrators

Cheers ed. With the wider glass, they tend to vignette. Super 16 or 16 needs to be 25mm or longer to have a chance in covering the larger micro four thirds sensor, sometimes even those vignette and the zooms are out. So stick to around 25mm and get one really nice one, is what I've tended towards