New cheaper smallHD monitor 800 nits

thefactory

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How many Nit is it? Doesn't really say. 2 to 3x brighter, well ehh what does that mean. Sounds like what i am looking for on my AF100. Price is within reason if Nit is above 1000. Anything below that sucks for daylight. And that is 95% of what time people shoot.

1 hour ago, Juxx989 said:

I like the size and the fact that it boosts your whole systems power capacity is cool.. but for that price Id be looking at a Used BM 4k Assist.

Very true, and it is a Recorder also!

Hmm 800 Nits, not bad, but not good for daylight. I would go for the used BM 4k Assist then! What 600 Nits? Why the hell is Nit value such a god damn factory secret?? Pisses me off!

16 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

How many Nit is it? Doesn't really say. 2 to 3x brighter, well ehh what does that mean. Sounds like what i am looking for on my AF100. Price is within reason if Nit is above 1000. Anything below that sucks for daylight. And that is 95% of what time people shoot.

Very true, and it is a Recorder also!

Hmm 800 Nits, not bad, but not good for daylight. I would go for the used BM 4k Assist then! What 600 Nits? Why the hell is Nit value such a god damn factory secret?? Pisses me off!

How is it a recorder as well? Don't see that in specs?

• 4 weeks later...

My main reason for wanting to purchase a monitor in the past was for the exposure aids (waveform monitor, false color, etc.) and to be able to see the composition more clearly, but lately, I really feel the need for something with better color accuracy than the LCD on my G85. It's a total guessing game. Lately, I've been bringing home the goods more often than not, or at least 100X closer than I used to, but I'd like something with excellent color accuracy, something I don't read too much about. For example, over the weekend, I shot some footage in the Chinese market and at a temple here in Saigon, the images looked rather bluish on the LCD, but when I get home, I see I pretty much nailed the WB. I'm tired of second guessing.

IMO monitor+recorders were circumventing the internal codec-crippling that camera manufacturers were/ are doing to preserve product lines. Instead of 4.2.0, you got 4.2.2, or 4K... or RAW.

But that was sooo 2016!

I think monitor recorder hybrids will be obsolete soon, as Panasonic is kinda forcing everyones hand to bolster their internal codecs.

Everything (in our age) trends to free...(or at least cheaper...)...

This is a smart move by SmallHD and I imagine other folks (nudge, nudge Aputure) come out blazing with a 5 inch with better specs.

The monitor should be a welcome addition, and not the star of the show...

The camera should do a better job than the apparatus you plug into it.

On 25/04/2017 at 5:07 PM, AaronChicago said:

The SmallHD 702 Bright is 1000 nits and it's plenty bright enough for outdoors. 800 is pretty good for that price.

I was thinking that this could possibly replace the Ursa Mini (expensive) EVF if you get this and the SmallHD Sidefinder... as an Ursa owner, what are your thoughts?

3 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

IMO monitor+recorders were circumventing the internal codec-crippling that camera manufacturers were/ are doing to preserve product lines. Instead of 4.2.0, you got 4.2.2, or 4K... or RAW.

But that was sooo 2016!

I think monitor recorder hybrids will be obsolete soon, as Panasonic is kinda forcing everyones hand to bolster their internal codecs.

Everything (in our age) trends to free...(or at least cheaper...)...

This is a smart move by SmallHD and I imagine other folks (nudge, nudge Aputure) come out blazing with a 5 inch with better specs.

The monitor should be a welcome addition, and not the star of the show...

The camera should do a better job than the apparatus you plug into it.

Yes, Panasonic is making external recorders obsolete so you can afford to purchase one of their $800.00 SD cards.

8 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

I was thinking that this could possibly replace the Ursa Mini (expensive) EVF if you get this and the SmallHD Sidefinder... as an Ursa owner, what are your thoughts?

The sidefinder only works with the 501/502 (I think they're 500 NIT) and is quite bulky. When using it you have a lower rez (720p I think) and I read some reviews that were not too impressed by distortion and light leaks.