Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Beg to differ!!

Raw cameras are the minority at the moment.

True. But, we all know the difference in-between. And you, as opinion maker, you well know the weight of your posts on the world wide web. Go figure a decade later when we still see aspiring manufacturers to mimic mainstream cameras of today (vaporware then, in the middle of the last decade) having pre-orders online from lurkers mostly as their primary business model.

E :-)

3 hours ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

In camera stabilization with a none O.I.S lens looks good! Check out 0:52 to 1:02. He is using the kit lens. It would be even better with O.I.S LENS :)

The kit lens has mega OIS.  Unfortunately the video doesn't specify whether this was turned on or not.

Anyone found a video showing the C-AF in video? Judging from this video of the ZS100/TZ100 panasonic seems to have finally fixed the hunting associated with contrast af in video (DFD at work?).  If I can get focus pulls like that with the GX80 touchscreen I'm ordering it with 12-35 and 35-100 (jitter gone with 5 axis?).

On 4/19/2016 at 3:00 PM, MattH said:

The kit lens has mega OIS.  Unfortunately the video doesn't specify whether this was turned on or not.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just leaned that the Power O.I.S lens do work a little better then the Mega O.I.S. I look forward to seeing a video showing how it looks with non O.I.S lens.

16 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Looks pretty rubbish once he pans around, that just me, or what's going on there..?

Look how shaky the unstabilised footage is. I give the stabilisation a gold medal for giving something even close to acceptable.  Imagine what it would be like if you actually had smooth camerawork to begin with.  That being said. The overal look of the footage in that shot doesn't blow me away.

I had trouble understanding him but once I read the description on Vimeo it made sense. Both lenses lack OIS. The first video has 5-Axis IBIS ON and the second has it off. I thought it worked pretty impressively. His settings are strange, though. And the AF is horrible... Hopefully that is either the lens' fault or the settings he used. 

Obviously the low light did not help. 

Yeah, the autofocus caused lens breathing, and I think the auto image correction can make things look wonky with movement at wide angle as well. Add a bit of rolling shutter and shakines that not even 5-axis can tame and youve got the perfect recipy for vomitovision.

Yeah you ain't kidding, but I think between this video and Martin Wallgren's Instagram video, there is almost enough evidence that the 5-Axis is pretty decent. 

34 minutes ago, MattH said:

Look how shaky the unstabilised footage is. I give the stabilisation a gold medal for giving something even close to acceptable.  Imagine what it would be like if you actually had smooth camerawork to begin with.  That being said. The overal look of the footage in that shot doesn't blow me away.

But the Martin Walgren Instagram footage looks great, so that leads me to believe this footage was user/auto issues. 

So I guess that matches the G7 crop. That is good to know. I would love to see some more footage before I decide one way or the other, but I am leaning toward picking this up. However, I do wonder how long it will take before BH has it on sale... Maybe the 4th of July. I hate paying full price for electronics. 

Hard to compare the two videos. They were not shot at the same time, so vibration & movement patterns can be very different.

Stabilization looks good though. I guess having the second video helps illustrating the importance of stabilization with lightweight handheld cameras. 

1 hour ago, MattH said:

One thing I noticed about the Brighton beach tests on the vimeo page is that the crop for 4k seems relatively slight.  I make it about a 1.1 crop.  Which works out at 2.2 crop in full frame terms.  Beats the 2.5 of the GH4.

The GH3 has a 2.3 crop. Maybe you're thinking of the GX8, which is more severe. 

He often shoots tests in the music shop, the hotel (or whatever it is) and brighton beach. They always, always look bad regardless of the camera :grin: But the IBIS is shown to be very effective here! I was worried that we might get big crop or some weird resolution to the image (like Olympus cams) but no, it just looks like your usual Panasonic footage!