Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

listed load capacity (yeah, i said it) is 17.6lbs. i bought the aluminum version. the carbon fiber version is a lot more expensive and not much lighter.

Hey Zak, thanks for the tip on the Sirui, mine just came in today, and that bitch is smooth. I don't think I will even need a panning head with it. The only issue with mine is that the leg section does not smoothly lengthen. Since it was a "new other," I assume it was a return because I didn't get the bag, the spiked foot or the extra base for the tabletop tripod. Was you leg tight when you first got it?

I read the reviews on Amazon, and apparently that is a flaw of the monopod. Some buyers received their unit that way, others would develop the issue over time. And others had no issue whatsoever.

Apparently the end of each telescopic portion has a plastic guide cap, and when the leg is extended hard, the metal on the male side digs into the plastic on the female side and scrapes away bits of plastic that clogs everything up. So, to make a long story short, I took the leg apart, cleaned it and used a little wd-40 and it works perfectly. 

To reiterate, this monopod is AWESOME!!! Having to take the leg apart, clean it, and relubricate it was a minor inconvenience for how inexpensive, stable, smooth and functional it is... So thanks again for the heads up!!!

Now I just need to find a good head for it. After using it for a few minutes this morning, I appreciate the built in panning function for small movements, but for a proper pan, a fluid head does seem necessary, but if I want to do extensive panning, a tripod is probably a better choice anyway... Decisions... Decisions...

hi mercer, each stage of the leg slides out smoothly under their own weight. I don't have to apply any pressure after unlocking each stage. gravity does all the work. this is with the three-legged base attached which adds a little weight though.

EDIT: just read your follow-up. thanks for the insight. i'll be mindful about how I let the legs extend.

I made a mistake by cancelling my pre order (first in line) when the A7SII came out. I rented it before buying and I'm glad I did b/c I did not like it at all. Now I'm back in line for the BMMCC.

Hey Aaron! I appreciate your work and if you are in line to purchase this camera, I am paying attention. 

Curious, do you intend to mostly film in Raw or with ProRes with this camera?

Which of the two do you think would grade better?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am looking at this camera too. I already have a nice collection of m4/3 lenses, oly 12mm 2.0, 25 1.8 and 75 1.8. I am not such a fan of 4k that's why i wouldn't jump into gh4 boat yet, although in the region where i live got so cheep, it's on the same price with BMMCC. I really like the organic look and feel of BMPCC and the quality of a good PRORES or even RAW. Anyways, have some questions though.

Does the new BMMCC has the exact same sensor as the BMPCC? or is a new one?

I have seen that they solve the rolling shutter problems that BMPCC had before. that 's a big plus.  Still, what is the native ISO of the new one? Could be better in low light?

Without the screen do you think is still a good option for a run and gun style? Taking into account the external monitor it needs.

thank you for the answers.

Ion

Hey Aaron! I appreciate your work and if you are in line to purchase this camera, I am paying attention. 

Curious, do you intend to mostly film in Raw or with ProRes with this camera?

Which of the two do you think would grade better?

Hey sorry I just saw this. I use Pro Res 90% of the time. I would use RAW more but Premiere's Lumetri panel messes with the highlights and turns them blue.

Hey Guys,

I am looking at this camera too. I already have a nice collection of m4/3 lenses, oly 12mm 2.0, 25 1.8 and 75 1.8. I am not such a fan of 4k that's why i wouldn't jump into gh4 boat yet, although in the region where i live got so cheep, it's on the same price with BMMCC. I really like the organic look and feel of BMPCC and the quality of a good PRORES or even RAW. Anyways, have some questions though.

Does the new BMMCC has the exact same sensor as the BMPCC? or is a new one?

I have seen that they solve the rolling shutter problems that BMPCC had before. that 's a big plus.  Still, what is the native ISO of the new one? Could be better in low light?

Without the screen do you think is still a good option for a run and gun style? Taking into account the external monitor it needs.

thank you for the answers.

Ion

I believe it's the same sensor.  I think it's smart of BM to not include a screen. The pocket screen is pretty bad and it just drains the battery even more. I'm planning on using a SmallHD 502 mounted on top or behind the BMMCC.

Was looking at SmallHd 502 but the price is way out of the budget for me. I would go with the BM screen instead.

have you seen any kind of footage coming from this camera yet? As far as i know could be a nice BMPCC upgrade with all the bugs fixed. Still not sure if the sensor is the same and the global shutter is achived only by software tweaks. let's see.

Was looking at SmallHd 502 but the price is way out of the budget for me. I would go with the BM screen instead.

have you seen any kind of footage coming from this camera yet? As far as i know could be a nice BMPCC upgrade with all the bugs fixed. Still not sure if the sensor is the same and the global shutter is achived only by software tweaks. let's see.

I haven't seen any footage yet. I have a feeling it'll ship before any being available.