1. Zach Goodwin

Zach Goodwin

• Similar Content

• By Sandeepthefifth
      Hey all, I'm looking to shoot a narrative short film with controlled lighting early next year and am thinking about shooting it on my original BMPCC...
      I know, I know. No 4K, terrible low-light, and horrible battery life. But if 1080p was fine, controlled lighting throughout, and an external battery solution, is it better for me to use the original and cancel my 4K pre-order? I could use the money saved to pay for an additional cine prime/actually pay actors a decent wage...
      What would be the advantages in this case of using the 4K over the original?
    • By ulrikjepsen
      Hi,
      Thought i would share a short film, that i have worked on for some time, as the technical side of the production might interest someone here
      You can see the film here. http://www.ekkofilm.dk/shortlist/film/nem-dating/
      There are no subtitles, but the synopsis is this:
      A young high school student gets an after hours job, to pay for a trip around the world with his girlfriend. The job is as a promoter for an online dating site, where he writes to girls there, to keep them as subscribers of the site. One day he realises, that one of the girls are someone close to him, and he tries to make things okay again.
      The film was shot over a week, and we mainly used the GH5. The camera is awesome and i loved the stabilization function, although it sometimes gave us trouble. 
      We where mostly shooting with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for canon and a focal reducer, and as this is an aps-c lens, it vignettede on the GH5. That is not so much of a problem, but when the camera was on a shoulder-mount also, it would counteract the internal image stabilizer, and the vignette would "bounce" around. So we found out to either use the camera handheld og turn the is of. Also we could use the ex teleconverter function, this lessened the vignette somewhat. We also used a canon 24-70 L 2.8 lens, and when using this, there where no problems with the bounching vignette, as it is a full frame lens.
      For lightning we mainly used Yongnuo led light and some Aputures. They worked great, but the aputures are imo a lot better for color reproduction. 
      For sound, we had a Røde ntg1 connected to a Tascam 60d. It was okay, but the ntg1 has a lot of hiss, and really needs to be close to the talent or have a stronger preamp.
      On the tascam, don't use the highest gain option, it's really noisy.
      I picked the Gh5 over an ursa mini pro for the film, as i could set it up more quickly, the battery would last longer and we didn't have to carry so much gear, which was important, as for the most time the crew constisted of myself on camera and directing, a sound-recordist and a gaffer/lightning guy. 
      In the editing fase, we had to tweak the colors a lot, especially skin tones took a lot of time to get right, as they where a bit read of camera. But, as we filmed in v-log 10 bit, it was not a problem. I have also shot 8 bit footage with the camera, and the image falls apart when doing any grading in v-log, and i dont like the other profiles. I have read some people cant see the difference between 10 og 8 bit, and neither can i. But when you grade them, there is a huge difference, i would not use buy the gh5 if it did not have v-log and 10bit.
      In low light i was also supprised how good the image looked, but i am not so afraid of noise. The camera is great in low light, as long as you have a small amount of light on the subject, like a bedside lamp or something. If there is no light, the camera dont look good, but i dont like those kind of images anyway.
      I have attached some images also, but check the film out, as the stills don't do the footage justice.

• By Bozzie
      Shot on a Canon EOS M (Mk1) with my BOZ FLAT_V1 Picture Profile for Canon DSLR Cameras. Download HERE: https://bulentozdemirfilms.wordpress.com/downloads/boz-flat_v1-canon-picture-style/
      Starring: Selen Adem
      *** Strong Language ***

• By Wild Ranger
      Hi everybody, I'm here to share my test film of the GH5s. 
      Everything was shot with a flashlight and bounced with reflector. ISO 3200, Nikon lens 50mm f1.8

• By whoisjsd
      Hi Everyone! I usually only lurk in the Anamorphic forum, but I recently finished a big spherical project. I teamed up with skater Luis Mora to tell his story while in Tokyo. We shot very quickly all around the city and still didn't get everywhere. I also gained a new respect for skate filmers, as it's really hard to do right. Overall, we met his hard deadline with only hours to spare. Other than wishing I had more time to color correct (Most of the choices were his, especially anything that has been brightened) but I'm pretty damn happy with the result for the time we took to make it!

Gear list:
      Panasonic GH5, 95% shot with V-LOG
      4K 60fps and a few at 1080p 120 fps
      Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 (75% of shots)
      Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 (20%)
      Voightlander 17.5mm f/0.95 (5%)
      Several variable ND filters
      Beholder DS2A Gimbal with D2S 5th axis arms.
      Simple tripod screw grip handle
      Only about half of it was shot with the gimbal. The GH5's stabilization is mind blowing. Using IS Lock at all the right moments makes a HUGE difference. It's a game changer.