Nikon Hacker enables raw video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Developer "leegong" of Nikon Hacker has made enormous progress in getting raw video from the live view function of the Nikon D5100. Early builds of the patch output raw frames to the card and A1ex of Magic Lantern has written a prototype / test DNG converter.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

This is a big step but there is still a long way to "enable raw video" if its possible at all (because there could be some problems with speed,and many other things...)

​Says who? Let's hear more from the devs first before you write it off.

Well, so now we know what live view resolution on a Nikon D5100 is!

It does make me wonder why Nikon don't offer this as an option on the pro cameras then, if it's anywhere near feasible. Pros should be allowed to decide if the implementation works for them.

• Administrators

Says me, Im not writing off anything, your headline is just missguiding.

I can assure you it is not.

They have indeed enabled raw video. At what frame rate and at what maximum resolution for continuous recording has yet to be determined.

What sort of headline would have satisfied you sir?

"Nikon Hacker Enables Raw Video And Further Development Needed To Determine Final Usable Form It Takes Along With Resolution And Frame Rate And File Sizes And Whether It Will Arrive On the Nikon D750 Or The Soon To Be Rumoured D900 Please Wait To Find Out More"

Is that specific enough for you?

Headline writing lesson for Araucaria.

A headline such as that above isn't a headline. It's a sentence.

The purpose of a headline is to grab attention with as few words as possible.

For example:

Forum User Is Negative Wanker

That's a brillaint headline.

Whatever man... I have been following it for 2 years and I know where the problems are, enabling raw video sounds like they are taking videos which is not the case.

Btw, this hack will eventually work on the d5100/d7000/d800, the newer cameras are totally different and they haven't worked on them at all.

• Administrators

My understanding is it dumps a series of frames at 24p to the card from the live view buffer.

How many? How long for? No idea.

But in the english language a series of frames = video as far as I'm concerned.

My understanding is it dumps a series of frames at 24p to the card from the live view buffer.

How many? How long for? No idea.

But in the english language a series of frames = video as far as I'm concerned.

​"Nikon Hacker discovers the possibility of RAW Video" might be more accurate at this point. :)

I can assure you it is not.

They have indeed enabled raw video. At what frame rate and at what maximum resolution for continuous recording has yet to be determined.

What sort of headline would have satisfied you sir?

"Nikon Hacker Enables Raw Video And Further Development Needed To Determine Final Usable Form It Takes Along With Resolution And Frame Rate And File Sizes And Whether It Will Arrive On the Nikon D750 Or The Soon To Be Rumoured D900 Please Wait To Find Out More"

Is that specific enough for you?

Headline writing lesson for Araucaria.

A headline such as that above isn't a headline. It's a sentence.

The purpose of a headline is to grab attention with as few words as possible.

For example:

Forum User Is Negative Wanker

That's a brillaint headline.

​Wow. That was really uncalled for. Do you think insulting readers disagreeing with you is a good policy to attract new ones? Can't you simply reply in a civil way or ignore the critique completely?

Andrew, I have read EOSHD quite a while now, and I like it - especially since you usually do not use the over the top sensational titles like many sites today do.

"Nikon hackers make progress with RAW video", "RAW video on Nikon cameras soon?" or something in the line of that would have been closer to what's going in the nikonhackers.org community.

I used to read nofilmschool in the earlier days too, but I kinda grew tired of that site, a big part of that being their sensationalism/content-less articles. What I'd personally like to see here on EOSHD, is if you keep on doing reviews just the way you've been doing earlier. In general your headlines and articles are spot on - and it's interesting to read your findings and experiences with cameras, softwares, methods etc.

Cheers!

​"Nikon Hacker discovers the possibility of RAW Video" might be more accurate at this point. :)

​Nah, that wouldn't be a good title at all. As it would be old news, they'd already got to that point ages ago. 

This is great news, ML is carving out a great reputation as a pro device-agnostic brand, looking forward to more progress. 

P.S - Guys, I'm sure you know how to write a better headline and run a better site and how to piss in circles and squares too, but it doesn't mean we need to know about it. ;)

• Administrators

​Wow. That was really uncalled for. Do you think insulting readers disagreeing with you is a good policy to attract new ones?

​Yes I think it's an excellent policy!

There are enough idiots who read the blog already, don't want to attract any more idiots!

Enough idiots!

My policy is no idiots!

If you don't agree, you're an idiot! :)