Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

I hope Nikon doesn't use cripple hammer of its own on this one

Nikon-Z6-III-camera-mockup.thumb.jpeg.4028058ad7d71003fff4fddc16fa3a7b.jpeg

A fast non stacked 6k sensor that doesn't show noise downsides of stacked, plus internal raw, with Zf IBIS, and Z8 AF, in a semi pro body, will be dream camera for many who can't afford $4k-6k flagships. Actually you can have two of this with the price of one Z9, if you don't need 8k. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Hopefully it will get all the features, and none of the resolution 🙂

The Z7 III meanwhile, I cannot see how they will make that fit under Z8 without crippling it, and how they can make it fit above Z6 III without crippling the Z6 III so that there's a gap for the Z7 to fit in between that and Z8!

So Z8 might yet turn out to have upper hand on both.

Let's see how hard they swing the cripple hammer

If it’s basically a ‘DSLR’ version of my Zf, I might just save the bucks and go for one over a Z9…which I am favouring over the Z8.

Z7iii just seems too close to Z8 if we are are looking at similar mp sensor size difference as per the previous 2 models so maybe they will go something much larger, otherwise don’t see where it fits in really?

Tried to have a play with a Z9 today on one of my rare forays into a city but no joy, didn’t have one.

Also depends on availability because unless I can actually buy one by end of March max, it’s default Z9 for me...which is no bad thing because it will allow me to run L Mount for video and Z for stills all year and then make a decision whether to continue with that or trade 2 L Mount units for another single Z and use what will then be 3x Z units all as full hybrid.

I really don’t mind either way as there are pros and cons for either option so either way it’s a win.

2 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Hopefully it’s reasonably priced!  While the ZF looks tempting I am not loving it ergonomically. I want a more utilitarian design personally. 

Agree…unless shooting street and with smaller primes such as the 26/28/40 lenses.

The grip makes a difference.

Still waiting for my Tamron 70-180 as there is a chance, albeit slight, I get a second ZF because other than the side hinge screen, it’s a ‘perfect’ camera for me.

Ok we got the first sign of the hammer working, in new set of rumored spec: no 6k raw, at least internally 

24.5 million pixels sensor

Duo EXPEED 7 processors

ISO 100-64,000

9 subjects detection AF(same as Z9)

310 single-point AF

IBIS

6k30p, 4k120p N-Log/HLG internal video recording

CFepress-B/XQC+SD card

No N-Raw

Better cooling design

Something is lost in translation in that "Duo" word. 

13 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Pretty sure it will be Zf spec except for different body and bigger second card slot than the Micro SD.

Not expecting anything more.

FF 4K 60p would have been nice but there are going to be restrictions compared with the Z8 for sure.

Normally I would think that's what Nikon would do -- but the Zf uses the same sensor as the Z6II/I. They are due to use a new sensor this time around.

A lot of the guts are likely to be the same as Zf; and the second full-size slot is a safe bet. Maybe they would also go CFExpress 2nd slot/4k 120p to make a more compelling video hybrid.

Here's to hoping a new N-log, open gate & anamorphic support is also on the list for the Z6III

14 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Nikon is always conservative in specs, and they never do double jumps like 4k30 to 4k120p. 

They are much smaller than Canon & Sony, and yes they are conservative & constrained by limitations that accompany relying on Sony for sensors.

2024 is going to start another phase of the cartel arrangement. Nikon will continue to expand their video capabilities and the Z6III is the logical product slot to 'step up' on those features beyond what they would have done previously.

No 8K & sticking to 24mpx is the main concession. A lot of shooters will be happy with that and Nikon can expand market share if the sensor is fast and it excels at video.

17 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Nikon is always conservative in specs, and they never do double jumps like 4k30 to 4k120p. 

Normally I'd agree, but the z9 was a surprising release. It depends if they keep that kind of thing going, or not. The z6iii is very overdue so it'd be disappointing if it's not a big step up from the z6ii or even Zf. 

22 minutes ago, D Verco said:

it'd be disappointing if it's not a big step up from the z6ii or even Zf. 

If rumors are based on the real thing, body and controls will be a big step up. The problem they always have is the sensor. A new sensor, that will be only used in one body, would be very expensive, since volume is not that much. Hence the shared sensor between Z9 and Z8. Unless they find another high volume use for that new sensor. 

20 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

If rumors are based on the real thing, body and controls will be a big step up. The problem they always have is the sensor. A new sensor, that will be only used in one body, would be very expensive, since volume is not that much. Hence the shared sensor between Z9 and Z8. Unless they find another high volume use for that new sensor. 

The sensor used in the Z6I & Z6II, Zf, S1, S1H, A7III, amongst others - is available to anyone Sony is willing to sell it to.

It will be the same for the new sensor Nikon will use in the Z6III. They will use it for the Zf II, they will use it for the Z5 II. Panasonic will use it for a body or two. So will Sony. When it becomes available on a Blackmagic camera -- you can know it's probably just about on it's way out 😉

This one is probably just going to be able to be read much faster, offer 4K/120 FF & open-gate 6K with much improved rolling shutter. More AF point.s as well. For people who don't care 8K and want the best low-light performance, this will be the sensor inside the best bang-for-buck options in mid-range bodies, and will do very well.