Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The thing is there is thing called ‘progress’ so it has to be more than it’s predecessor

There's also the concept of Enshittification, so actually there is no rule it has to be better at all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kye said:

Enshittification

Instagram

I thought it was a word you had made up but I Googled it.

I don’t think they can bungle the Z6iii though.

Not everyone will be happy and the reality of it when it’s revealed might not even be enough for me, but I suspect on their current form, Nikon will not enshittificate this.

With another 24, they can’t really pitch it beyond 2.5k but with the 33, maybe can reach for 3k?

33 would help with sales I suspect and I’d prefer that to be honest, but 24 would not be a dealbreaker for me.

The updated list:

- 6k60 NRAW, 4k120 (crop), 4k60 full ProRes RAW

- New higher resolution EVF: 5.76m dot

- Improved LCD

- 20fps still RAW (14bit)

- 120fps stills jpeg

- 1/16000 shutter speed

- 299 points AF

- 8-stop VR (same system as the Nikon Zf)

- CFexpress+SD memory cards

- PSAM Dial

- Camera body size and overall dimension are similar to the Nikon Z6II: 3-5mm longer width becuase of the LCD hinge and a few mm thicker

- The overall height (bottom to the EVF) remains the same but the actual camera is 2-3mm taller

- The grip button layouts and design look similar to the Nikon Z8 apart from the command dial which is the same as the Z6II

--------

24 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I guess that is the mechanical shutter limitation, as if the camera can record full sensor 60p raw video files, then it should be able to also do 60fps still images in electronic shutter mode 

37 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I guess that is the mechanical shutter limitation, as if the camera can record full sensor 60p raw video files, then it should be able to also do 60fps still images in electronic shutter mode 

I think 6k60p is 16:9 crop. And its 12bit. 

- 6k60 NRAW, 4k120 (crop), 4k60 full ProRes RAW

- New higher resolution EVF: 5.76m dot

- Improved LCD

- 120fps stills jpeg

- 1/16000 shutter speed

- 299 points AF

- 8-stop VR (same system as the Nikon Zf)

- CFexpress+SD memory cards

- PSAM Dial

- Camera body size and overall dimension are similar to the Nikon Z6II: 3-5mm longer width becuase of the LCD hinge and a few mm thicker

- The overall height (bottom to the EVF) remains the same but the actual camera is 2-3mm taller

- The grip button layouts and design look similar to the Nikon Z8 apart from the command dial which is the same as the Z6II

VERY interested in internal 6K NRAW. Not for everything, all the time, but in certain situations where I can achieve up to 50% slow mo and pull off high quality stills.

This also cuts my need from 4 camera bodies on a job, down to 3, so worth it for that alone.

Hopefully something like or the same as the Z8/Z9. I've learned to live with flip outs but would much rather have something like the Z8/Z9/S1H/A7RV has.

Great. With the Zf it is also linked to the focus point.

Good, because I have 2x 256GB that are just gathering dust. Or would be if they were not sealed in a plastic bag.

My principle interest though is launch/availability date...

• 4 weeks later...

OK, too late for me for 2024.

I was going to hold on until the end of March (and suspect it will be announced some time next month) but in the end…

A. I have some engagement type portrait shoots coming up in March and my Zf is not a long lens camera. OK I could manage a couple of shoots with my 70-180 on it but these shoots are a warmup exercise for the coming season so would kind of defeat the object of the exercise.

B. Do I actually need any of that spec?

In answer to B. maybe 🤔 probably yes…if I go over to Nikon 100% for both my video and stills needs, but as that cannot now happen in 2024 due to time constraints, it does not matter.

So I bought a mint used Z6ii with battery grip for 1600 euros.

Does exactly what I need it to do which is primarily be a lens platform for principally the 70-180 and the 20-40 option lenses, stills only, but ability to pull video duty in an emergency.

Compared with the S5ii, arguably it’s most direct rival, without grip, it feels a fraction smaller but with better grip, has my preferred tilt screen, has much better shutter feel and sound, identical stills capabilities but the S5ii edges it in the video department.

I’m still interested in the Z6iii as a possible contender next year to replace my entire existing L Mount and go back to a 3 body hybrid set up rather than my 2024 2x video + 2x stills set up, but not actively seeking to do so.

And interested to see how it fits into the marketplace as a whole.

Still not 100% on the e:shutter only Z8 and Z9’s…

They're taking their sweet ass time releasing new cameras. 5 years since the z6. 

I'm shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and need another 2 cameras with log. I'd get a z8, but there's still no confirmation it's getting open gate or a new nlog with more dynamic range. 

Guess I'll have to waste time and money renting a couple more Fujis 

3 hours ago, D Verco said:

They're taking their sweet ass time releasing new cameras. 5 years since the z6

I thought it was longer but maybe not and the Z6ii itself is about 3.5 years.

I don’t mind too much but I wish companies would give a little more advance warning for business users. Not specifically of course as that would be unrealistic, but a projected timeline at least.

So many launches are initially based on rumor and then suddenly bam, here’s our new camera!

And it’s not all about upgrading to the latest & greatest every time just because, but more a case of strategic planning.

I have had several seasons where something was no longer doing what I wanted it to do as in technology had marched on and for the following season wanted the ability to do that next ‘thing’…only for my brand to be the one that did not jump aboard that ship forcing me to continue for another season compromises, or switch brand.

Nikon traditionally have been one of the slower brands, but as with all things, pros and cons!

Fortunately, there are several options for me now re. ‘Peak Camera’ and these days it’s more a case of glass and finances…

• 2 weeks later...

New but not unexpected rumors:

- The Nikon Z6III camera announcement may have something to do with the RED acquisition.

- We should expect some kind of a Nikon/RED announcement at the 2024 NAB show next month (maybe the Z6III?).

-----

I still think its too early for any RED+Nikon development, but Expeed7 doing R3D is the lowest hanging fruit. 

4 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

New but not unexpected rumors:

- The Nikon Z6III camera announcement may have something to do with the RED acquisition.

- We should expect some kind of a Nikon/RED announcement at the 2024 NAB show next month (maybe the Z6III?).

-----

I still think its too early for any RED+Nikon development, but Expeed7 doing R3D is the lowest hanging fruit. 

Or even just the inclusion of their own RAW flavour perhaps, as that would have been much easier to copy straight across from the Z9?

Full Nikon/RED rumour list:

Future Nikon sensors will be co-developed with RED and mass-produced for lower prices.

Nikon will start making cinema lenses for Z mount with T stops – I assume the next RED camera will be with Z-mount.

Nikon will slowly introduce new RED formats and video recording options to Nikon cameras.

The Nikon Z6III camera announcement may have something to do with the RED acquisition.

We should expect some kind of a Nikon/RED announcement at the 2024 NAB show next month (maybe the Z6III?).

Nikon N-RAW will become RED RAW. Adobe just mentioned online that they will no longer make upgrades to Nikon N-RAW because it will be replaced (see the Ado\be developer’s pinned post – click for larger view)

Pretty exciting stuff if above is true!

6 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Even so, that would be a MAJOR announcement. 

1 hour ago, Django said:

Future Nikon sensors will be co-developed with RED and mass-produced for lower prices.

I look forward to the next generation of the RED Komodo having not just a Z Mount, but also being priced the same as Nikon Z7

1 hour ago, Django said:

Nikon will start making cinema lenses for Z mount with T stops – I assume the next RED camera will be with Z-mount.

What about making them for PL Mount??? 

55 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What about making them for PL Mount??? 

This. I have no interest in mirrorless cinema lenses locking me into a particular mount, particularly manual cinema lenses. Nikon lenses in PL mount, however, that would be extremely welcome.